Religion Pell Guilty!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think for those wishing him to rot in jail etc are going to be disappointed. I see a fairly light sentence awaiting him.

Then it goes to appeal which seems likely to be overturned.

However, this will do enormous damage to the Church's reputation and moral authority, even if the decision is overturned on appeal for Pell personally.

I was there for the prosecution closing and for the verdict. And I have been an altar boy at St Pats in the past.

This verdict won't survive an appeal. Absolutely no chance.

Hate the guy all you like, and I do understand why some do, although I don't share that view of him.

But he didn't do this, and couldn't have done it. And the jury heard at least a dozen altar boys and/or choirboys say exactly that.

Which is why it won't survive an appeal.

But Pell will go inside tomorrow. And will stay there until an appeal is decided.

I was there for the prosecution closing and for the verdict. And I have been an altar boy at St Pats in the past.

Hate the guy all you like, and I do understand why some do, although I don't share that view of him.

But he didn't do this, and couldn't have done it. And the jury heard at least a dozen altar boys and/or choirboys say exactly that.

But Pell will go inside tomorrow. And will stay there until an appeal is decided.
Better get those thoughts and prayers going.

Not sure what you mean? Just reporting what I saw and heard with my own eyes and ears.

I think you'll find over the next few days a number of the court reporters will say they were surprised at the verdict.

Because they were.

Having read only the news reports today, I admit I am surprised at the verdict too. There does not seem to be anything other than the word of the victim. These sorts of cases usually fall on the not guilty by lack of beyond reasonable doubt. I also think this will be overturned on appeal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what you mean? Just reporting what I saw and heard with my own eyes and ears.

I think you'll find over the next few days a number of the court reporters will say they were surprised at the verdict.

Because they were.

My understanding is that this trial was a redo and he had a hung jury 10-2 against him previously.

So far that is 22 out of 24 Australians who unlike you, have seen all of the evidence and not just closings, and convicted him.

Lets not forget the Ballarat pool trial that hasn't been gone ahead with either. Fact is there are multiple accusations of Pell the Pedo out there. So many of us aren't surprised Pell finally got nailed after a lifetime spent nailing little kids (or protecting those who do).

I was curious about this. I'm not for a second defending him, I hope he winds up in prison. But I can't understand how a jury found him guilty of this particular crime, based on the evidence that is publically available. Ie one person's testimony.

LOL, duuuuuuuuuude. "As a Catholic who is #TeamPell, I think he'll get off and didn't do it."

Was talking to a journo mate about this, bloke is fairly well versed in stuff. His view is there's no way the cops and DPP would have even gone for it unless they were very sure they could get a verdict that would stand up.

Note the first jury didn't acquit.

He may well get off, but really, VicPol and our DPP are literally world experts in investigating and prosecuting historical child sex by Catholic clergy.

They got him. Got him good.

I revealed in another thread that I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this site.
When one of these animals gets put away it makes our life just that little easier to endure.
However when one such as Pell, who did so much harm to survivors through his (in)actions and obstinate defence of his peers gets put away it makes a very big difference to us indeed.
I hope he is enjoying his very own personal hell from now on.
campaigner.
You are not alone

I’m enjoying watching this scumbag and his supporters having their day

Long may it last

Having read only the news reports today, I admit I am surprised at the verdict too. There does not seem to be anything other than the word of the victim. These sorts of cases usually fall on the not guilty by lack of beyond reasonable doubt. I also think this will be overturned on appeal.

If so, that means so sex attacker can ever be convicted if the case hinges on the word of the victim only.

I revealed in another thread that I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this site.
When one of these animals gets put away it makes our life just that little easier to endure.
However when one such as Pell, who did so much harm to survivors through his (in)actions and obstinate defence of his peers gets put away it makes a very big difference to us indeed.
I hope he is enjoying his very own personal hell from now on.
campaigner.
How systemic does an organization's ability to breed and harbor sex offenders need to be before government intervenes?

At the absolute minimum there remains zero moral justification for allowing the church to keep its' tax-free status. Better yet government should cease all funding to Catholic schools and mandate every Catholic priest undergoes periodic phsychiatric evaluation. Unfortunately the church is too powerful and insidious to allow this but we can always dream.

As for Pell and other Catholic child abusers, I tend to think of them as animals. Perhaps because to fully absorb the realization they are mostly average Aussie men leads us to wonder if under what hypothetical circumstances we might ourselves succumb to such abhorrent temptations if placed in their shoes, and forces us to lay some of the blame for their behavior at the foot of the society we belong to. How many formerly decent men has the Catholic Church corrupted into monsters and what guarantee do we have this won't keep happening, or that it won't be covered up if it does?

Not that I blame Pell's actions entirely on the church or suggest he was compelled to act so inhumanly, plainly his case is a special one worthy of added loathing thanks to his role in covering up the abuses of others. If only his word could be trusted I would be genuinely interested to hear how he feels about it, do his deeds keep him up at night or (as I more suspect) has he brainwashed himself into being absolved of all responsibility? Either way he'll receive no absolution from me, and its comforting to imagine him being slowly murdered with that smarmy look permanently plastered on his face quickly disappearing.

For an appeal to be successful it needs to be shown that the judge erred in law, in an appeal you are not allowed to rerun the defense case so unless it can be shown that the judge made a mistake either in his judgement such as incorrectly citing a case or made a procedural mistake or misdirected the jury then the verdict will stand.

If so, that means so sex attacker can ever be convicted if the case hinges on the word of the victim only.
Isn't this what happens in the vast majority of rape cases? I heard something like 90% of such cases result in the defendant getting off due to a lack of evidence.

If you have one person making an accusation, and the other denying it, then one of them is lying by definition. In our "innocent until proven guilty" system, an uncorroborated allegation is generally not considered sufficient evidence to cast aside reasonable doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back