Religion Pell Guilty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
The Archbishop of Melbourne is a poor man's Thomas Becket, and his argument is as silly as Becket's argument was.

There is no excuse for protecting pedos.
Becket and Henry deserved each other.

But if Andrews and Comensoli are responsible for anything as good as the Canterbury Tales, it might well have been worth it.

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
And this disgusting organisation STILL doesn't get it.
One of George's protege's, no doubt.

No other way to show what a fine upstanding organisation you are than telling people you won't report any crime that happens in your organisation

That Brian Houston said the very same, he doesn't want any obligation to report any child sex offense in his church, coincidentally he's being investigated now for covering up his daddy's kiddie fiddling

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
No other way to show what a fine upstanding organisation you are than telling people you won't report any crime that happens in your organisation

That Brian Houston said the very same, he doesn't want any obligation to report any child sex offense in his church, coincidentally he's being investigated now for covering up his daddy's kiddie fiddling

Do you understand just what a futile law it is? If the priests say “Oh yeah, no worries, we’ll report” how many confessions do you reckon they’d get? It’d go from about 1 per decade to 0.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Don't want to report one of if not the most abhorrent crime imaginable, just shows what a deviant anachronistic culture they come from. The sooner institutionalized religious belief goes the way of the dinosaur the better.

If they refuse to comply the government should use it as a lever to start the debate about taxing the church, I think any party that went to the people with that as a major part of their platform would get government in a landslide. Tax the bastards to the hilt.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
How many do confess?
You know, just to try and head this towards a fact-based discussion.

I would say none, but self evidently I don’t have any data.

The s**t thing with confession I found was that absolution was conditional upon one fronting for one's sins outside of the confessional.

So you didn’t get away with a few Hail Mary’s. You had to make good in the outside world.

So pedos have no incentive to confess. There’s no absolution unless they properly atone. Which means fronting at the cop station.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't want to report one of if not the most abhorrent crime imaginable, just shows what a deviant anachronistic culture they come from. The sooner institutionalized religious belief goes the way of the dinosaur the better.

If they refuse to comply the government should use it as a lever to start the debate about taxing the church, I think any party that went to the people with that as a major part of their platform would get government in a landslide. Tax the bastards to the hilt.

And how will they know they haven’t complied?

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
How many do confess?
You know, just to try and head this towards a fact-based discussion.

Sorry, was this question a general one or specific to clerical abusers?

Go into any church at 3pm Saturday and you’ll see just what a stupid argument this is. You’ll see 2 or 3 little old Italian or Vietnamese ladies probably confessing to blowing $5 at the pokies.

Think that proposed law change is a waste as don’t think any would confess. But Comensoli’s attitude just shows that not much will change with the church.

He’s virtually saying that he wouldn’t do a thing even if it leads to that person abusing 50-100 kids! How is that not criminally negligent? Sacrosanct my arse.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Think that proposed law change is a waste as don’t think any would confess. But Comensoli’s attitude just shows that not much will change with the church.

He’s virtually saying that he wouldn’t do a thing even if it leads to that person abusing 50-100 kids! How is that not criminally negligent? Sacrosanct my arse.

He did say he would invite the offender to make the confession outside of the confessional. He also pointed out that he mostly doesn’t know who’s confessing in any event.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
And how will they know they haven’t complied?
Well we know now that historically many did not report abuse, in fact they tacitly approved it by their actions and they have been found out, it may take a while/years but it will eventually come out into the open from survivors/whistle blowers.

Those in power in the church couldn't bring themselves to report such abuse off their own bat, own moral judgment and from an empathetic position so now a big stick and legislation needs to be used. Goes to show what happens when you bow down and hand power over to an external authority, if you need god/the church to give you your moral compass and it does not come from your own inherent empathetic nature you are a morally shallow robot.

People that even put forward the idea of not reporting such abhorrent actions are in my view repulsive human beings.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry, was this question a general one or specific to clerical abusers?

Go into any church at 3pm Saturday and you’ll see just what a stupid argument this is. You’ll see 2 or 3 little old Italian or Vietnamese ladies probably confessing to blowing $5 at the pokies.
It was directed at the issue of pedophile priests.
I didn't make any argument.
But if, as you suggest, no pedophile priests do confess, then Comensoli's comments have no practical significance in relation to this issue.
They would seem, therefore, to be of significance only to internal catholic politics and/or catholic "theology", about which I could not, personally, give a malcolm blight.

He did say he would invite the offender to make the confession outside of the confessional. He also pointed out that he mostly doesn’t know who’s confessing in any event.

“He would invite the offender....” , and if the offender does not do so, he would leave it at that. If it’s that heinous a crime he can find out who it is quite easily. For example walk out and try and talk to the person face to face when he leaves. Simple really and you’re delusional if you believe what you just posted is acceptable.

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
“He would invite the offender....” , and if the offender does not do so, he would leave it at that. If it’s that heinous a crime he can find out who it is quite easily. For example walk out and try and talk to the person face to face when he leaves. Simple really and you’re delusional if you believe what you just posted is acceptable.

.. one option is no one ever confesses to a priest which is what you are pushing for or ...the other option is confess to a priest where you will be strongly advised to make amends and turn yourself in for your penance or speak outside the confessional and then someone else turns you in.
If someone is prepared to go to confession they are not far off handing the money back to the bank or seeking help etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

It’s all hypothetical. Pedos aren’t confessing in confessionals and if you believe this law is designed to protect kids you’re delusional.

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
.. one option is no one ever confesses to a priest which is what you are pushing for or ...the other option is confess to a priest where you will be strongly advised to make amends and turn yourself in for your penance or speak outside the confessional and then someone else turns you in.
If someone is prepared to go to confession they are not far off handing the money back to the bank or seeking help etc.

Bullshit.
Thay are safe in the knowledge that their confession, regardless of how heinous is safe.

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
Do you understand just what a futile law it is? If the priests say “Oh yeah, no worries, we’ll report” how many confessions do you reckon they’d get? It’d go from about 1 per decade to 0.

It merely makes sure those who act to coverup the crime will be seen as accomplices, it's call a deterrent to cover up heinous crime, which the Catholic church has been found to do

I am not surprised you would be against it though, you are for more kiddie fiddlers getting protected and covered up afterall

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
It merely makes sure those who act to coverup the crime will be seen as accomplices, it's call a deterrent to cover up heinous crime, which the Catholic church has been found to do

I am not surprised you would be against it though, you are for more kiddie fiddlers getting protected and covered up afterall

I’m only against it in the sense that it’s a futile law politically motivated to break down an institution that stands between absolute government control and the people.

It doesn’t protect kids. In fact it does the opposite. It leads the masses to believe “Hey look, we nailed those dirty Cathlicks, pedo issue solved.”

The pedo issue is not solved. It’s probably worse.

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
I’m only against it in the sense that it’s a futile law politically motivated to break down an institution that stands between absolute government control and the people.

It doesn’t protect kids. In fact it does the opposite. It leads the masses to believe “Hey look, we nailed those dirty Cathlicks, pedo issue solved.”

The pedo issue is not solved. It’s probably worse.

Yes, the Catholic church is the victim, again.

You don't care about the children, you only care about pumping out propaganda BS for an organisation you once worked for. You're just a lackey, hilarious how you think your opinion is impartial and worthwhile

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
Why would they report it when a decade of the rosary sorts it all out? Arrogant, arrogant bastards they still think canon law overrides the law of the land.

I’ve had a conversation with a priest about penance for a major crime and they wouldnt give out 10 Hail Mary’s for those. He used an example of stealing money from a bank and the penance for something like that was more the go of go to bank and return money and ask forgiveness etc. because the end of the day if you are truly sorry you would return the money etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back