Religion Pell Guilty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And while I’m a victim of one of these turds - my spell in the system was for nothing related to that - but largely as a result of it

I did a piece on Cornton Vale - the women's prison in Scotland - back in the day when I worked as a journo and on the day I visited, every single woman in the place had reported on admission they'd been the victim of sexual assault at some point in their life.

I don't think the number would be as high for men, but the percentage of prisoners who had been abused would be well above what the avergae population rate is.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I did a piece on Cornton Vale - the women's prison in Scotland - back in the day when I worked as a journo and on the day I visited, every single woman in the place had reported on admission they'd been the victim of sexual assault at some point in their life.

I don't think the number would be as high for men, but the percentage of prisoners who had been abused would be well above what the avergae population rate is.

Significant child abuse (not necessarily sexual) is in the high 90% range for male prisoners.

Good luck getting any middle/upper class, private schoolboy educated judge to acknowledge that in any meaningful mitigatory fashion.

The legal system and prisons are a 100% political mechanism.

Significant child abuse (not necessarily sexual) is in the high 90% range for male prisoners.

Good luck getting any middle/upper class, private schoolboy educated judge to acknowledge that in any meaningful mitigatory fashion.

The legal system and prisons are a 100% political mechanism.

For real, Pell got six years for a crime that Blind Freddy can see sent a 14 year old boy to die on the end of a needle, but Rob Karam got three decades for importing a chemical people want to take and far less harmful than alcohol.

That totally makes sense.

(And let's not even get into how Karam ended up in the jug)

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What go in front of another human and tell them everything that’s bothering you , everything you’ve done that you aren’t proud of etc
This kind of cathartic procedure is as old as the hills and as current as any modern day psychology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does a psychologist direct you to say a couple of Hail Mary's to make the whole thing go away?

Let's be honest - the primary function of confession is to allow Christians to be exempt from acting like Christians.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
I get it, but I have not come across intimate knowledge of the inside workings of such places, because I never came across anyone who had admitted being there and was willing to talk about it. If a prisoner lobs from Ararat or Langi in to the mainstream, and let's that be known, then they are setting themselves up for a myriad on unfortunate outcomes, depending on where they are housed at that time, and their ability to explain why they were there.

If someone from Ararat lobbed in to mainstream Barwon, most of Port Phillip or Fulham, and declared where they previously were, then they would get turned on very quickly.
Let’s just say I was nowhere near Ararat or Langi, and I know of the situations you speak of because I’ve seen it first hand. A bloke arrived at my location and a couple vouched for him from a medium security jail. The word went round he was a tamp and he ran te screws box put himself in the slot and disappeared on a bus the next day - tamps are despised in the general prisoner population because a significant number have been interfered with ad kids

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Let’s just say I was nowhere near Ararat or Langi, and I know of the situations you speak of because I’ve seen it first hand. A bloke arrived at my location and a couple vouched for him from a medium security jail. The word went round he was a tamp and he ran te screws box put himself in the slot and disappeared on a bus the next day - tamps are despised in the general prisoner population because a significant number have been interfered with ad kids

The blokes who vouched for him wouldn't have been popular either.

Do you understand just what a futile law it is? If the priests say “Oh yeah, no worries, we’ll report” how many confessions do you reckon they’d get? It’d go from about 1 per decade to 0.
It is important to have as law to show that personal belief even religious ones come secondary to the laws of the land.

Otherwise you could have (for example) ultra Orthodox Jews misquoting Old Testament to seek special rules for them being the “chosen of god” or white supremacy movements arguing for their own rules regarding who they choose to employ or conduct harassment against.

I’m only against it in the sense that it’s a futile law politically motivated to break down an institution that stands between absolute government control and the people.

It doesn’t protect kids. In fact it does the opposite. It leads the masses to believe “Hey look, we nailed those dirty Cathlicks, pedo issue solved.”

The pedo issue is not solved. It’s probably worse.
The church no longer has the moral authority to act as a believable or effective barrier to government control.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
It is important to have as law to show that personal belief even religious ones come secondary to the laws of the land.

Otherwise you could have (for example) ultra Orthodox Jews misquoting Old Testament to seek special rules for them being the “chosen of god” or white supremacy movements arguing for their own rules regarding who they choose to employ or conduct harassment against.
You can have the law all you like.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
Does a psychologist direct you to say a couple of Hail Mary's to make the whole thing go away?

Let's be honest - the primary function of confession is to allow Christians to be exempt from acting like Christians.

Not sure and wouldn’t know but I’m guessing a little bit of meditation may be the advice you’d get from a psychologist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Maybe media (abc in Australia)?
Mega corporations can stand up to government (for good or ill...)
Agree with the ABC (although what is it's moral framework?)
Not convinced with mega corporations. They seem to always do what is in their interests and the interests of their shareholders.
Interesting that you didn't mention the legal system?

Agree with the ABC (although what is it's moral framework?)
Not convinced with mega corporations. They seem to always do what is in their interests and the interests of their shareholders.
Interesting that you didn't mention the legal system?
Re legal system honestly didn’t think of it; besides which legislation trumps common law (which I think is what judges determine)

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

They're going to have to open a whole new jail for these nonces.
What a complete shock that Archbishop Comensoli would say such a thing given his refusal to distance himself from his monster of a friend George Pell.

"To those people, I say firstly sorry, I want to say sorry," he said. "To all of you who have been abused and the community and the efforts to cover up and obfuscate." Predicatably hollow words.

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Pell was in no better position than most others to stop it until he became Archbishop. When he became Archbishop he stopped it. (Cue the outraged "He offended himself!!!")

95% didn't do enough to prevent child abuse, and still don't. That there is the problem.
When he became archbishop he went as far as he could to limit payments and help victims.

I suspect that's what you mean by stopped it.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

The 1905 Aboriginal Act in WA was law.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Far more kids molested and abused in state schools, state juvenile centres and other state run other organisations. For far less punishment to the perpetrators and far less compensation to the victims.
Really? Care to share that info?

If so I'm all for hammering them as well.

I'm against it wether state or cult backed.

Though it's interesting you seem ok with the cults because "others are worse" supposedly.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Really? Care to share that info?

If so I'm all for hammering them as well.

I'm against it wether state or cult backed.

Though it's interesting you seem ok with the cults because "others are worse" supposedly.

There is heaps of info out there. State institutions paid out half what the Catholic Church paid to victims.

And the burden of proof and hurdles to get that compensation was far more strict.

The Royal Commission barely touched on it because the government controlled the focus of the investigation.

Until the 1980s schools would send teachers interstate. They would swap pedophile teachers around, rather than go to the police.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back