Votes: 75 31.8%

• Total voters

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood bias, much?

Selwood is a better leader, tackler, is harder at the ball and wins more games off his own boot than Pendelbury does
So you've listed three intangibles, and tackles (the only measurable thing you've managed to come up with) is incorrect.

Also while it's difficult to measure what a match winner is (other than goals but I'm sure your not trying to use that), champion data did do an investigation a few years ago of who the best clutch player in the AFL was and it was Pendlebury. Selwood wasn't even mentioned as far as I can remember.

It appears you have an unconscious bias against the Pies imo

So you've listed three intangibles, and tackles (the only measurable thing you've managed to come up with) is incorrect.

Also while it's difficult to measure what a match winner is (other than goals but I'm sure your not trying to use that), champion data did do an investigation a few years ago of who the best clutch player in the AFL was and it was Pendlebury. Selwood wasn't even mentioned as far as I can remember.

It appears you have an unconscious bias against the Pies imo
Not at all. I dont see much of a difference between them, i just outlied what i think makes Selwood a slightly better and move valued player.
You on the other hand suggested Pendelbury was better than every aspect than Selwood (which is completely wrong)

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The disparity basically comes down to the fact that Pendlebury is pretty much better than Selwood at everything except ducking his head (and even then it's closer than you think)
Hogwash.

Well, they're both extremely hard to tackle. For different reasons though...

All jokes aside though the poll results shouldn't be this far apart. Selwood is a fair bit better in contested situations but Pendlebury's a far superior user of the football, more versatile, more creative, harder to tag & more consistent. No bias though. ;)

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
Some pretty whiny supporters in here. So offended by an opinion that x player is better than y player.

IMO people should not be allowed to comment on polls which include their own players. It makes for a more realistic poll and fairer discussion.

My opinion is that Selwood actually tries much more than any other player to impact matches when it's there to be won. He even got a lot of the ball on Saturday.

However, he simply does not have the skills to be effective despite how hard he tries.

Selwood easily. Pendlebury is more silky but Selwood turns finals. Not many players can.

'Easily'? Neither of them win this easily.

Pendles' record in finals stacks up very favourably next to Selwood's, FWIW..

Probably fair enough. Easily was harsh. But in my eyes Pendles' impact has been dropping year on year for 3-4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you'll find it's Collingwood's performances that have been dropping year on year for 3-4 years. Pendles has been consistently excellent every year but has lacked support.

He's never had a year as awful as Selwood's 2015 either.

I think you'll find it's Collingwood's performances that have been dropping year on year for 3-4 years. Pendles has been consistently excellent every year but has lacked support.

He's never had a year as awful as Selwood's 2015 either.
awful lol. Still put up respectable numbers despite no preseason and played half the year with a busted hand and no support....

awful lol. Still put up respectable numbers despite no preseason and played half the year with a busted hand and no support....

Compared to his normal high standard, he was awful. No point in sugar coating it.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
they're different players so its hard to compare.
but would i rather have the tough, hard, ball winning leader or the guy that oozes class, creates space and opportunity for himself and his teammates and can change a game in a matter of minutes?

Pendlebury every day of the week for me...including September

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
They've been neck and neck throughout their careers, and both finished first and second in the same year (2007) for the RS award, with Selwood taking it out.

Pendlebury has amazing skills, he's a very good decision maker and evades tackles really well - rarely is he caught holding the ball. Selwood is frenetic when it comes to getting the ball.

Two different players, two champs nonetheless. I've seen a lot more of Selwood than I have of Pendlebury over the journey, so it's hard to say categorically without being biased.

A knock on Selwood would be his difficulties to break a tag. Time and again he's been susceptible to a tag and has struggled to influence games. Can Pendlebury shake a tag?

bph25

All Australian
Nov 13, 2007
G town
AFL Club
Geelong
Selwood seems to lack the class to take himself into the level that players like Pendlebury live in.

Sad human you are. Enjoy your thumping next week. Rioli to go missing for the tenth time in a row.
Selwood won the rising star over pendles.
Selwood has finished higher in the brownlow every year accept when he was busted up last year and he still nearly polled better.
Selwood has lifted his side to more wins off his own back.
Selwood has been rated as better then pendles in post season ratings constantly over his career.
Kicks more goals and wins more contests.
All Australian captain yet again
Shut the gate

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Sad human you are. Enjoy your thumping next week. Rioli to go missing for the tenth time in a row.

Irrelevant to the discussion.

Selwood won the rising star over pendles.

That only means that he matured earlier. Selwood was remarkable in that he had a better first year than most other players, but that doesn't mean he's a better player.

Selwood has finished higher in the brownlow every year accept when he was busted up last year and he still nearly polled better.

Brownlow votes mean little, if we ranked players by votes then we would have a very different rating of all our players.

Selwood has lifted his side to more wins off his own back.

Meaningless subjective waffle. Geelong certainly tend to win more games than Collingwood and so it becomes easy to attribute it all to one player when it is convenient.

Selwood has been rated as better then pendles in post season ratings constantly over his career.

I don't even know what this is.

Kicks more goals and wins more contests.

Nope, Pendlebury has 20 more goals than Selwood.

All Australian captain yet again

They're equal on 5 AAs apiece.

Shut the gate

LOL

bph25

All Australian
Nov 13, 2007
G town
AFL Club
Geelong
I've watched plenty of pendles as Collingwood games seem to be prime times and he is no Selwood.
Maybe had 2 years better then Selwood over their careers but that's it.
What you didn't understand was Selwood continually beats pendles in all post season discussions.
Be it post season top 50, brownlow, media awards. You can knock them all individually but as a collective they give a pretty good guide. Now go take your Geelong hate back to the bay ya flog

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
I've watched plenty of pendles as Collingwood games seem to be prime times and he is no Selwood.

This isn't an argument, just your opinion.

What you didn't understand was Selwood continually beats pendles in all post season discussions.
Be it post season top 50, brownlow, media awards.

Neither of them have a Brownlow. Which media awards does Selwood have that Pendlebury doesn't?

Back