News Pendlebury: We celebrated 2010 too hard

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the theory but it makes less sense when you look at Brisbane and Hawthorn hat-tricks and particularly when you consider the same comments were made in 2004 after playing in GFs the previous 2 years under the same coach.

The reality is there would be some truth to all then theories from physical work load, mental drain, celebrating, MM's frame of mind, GF day coaching, the Shaw/Maxwell suspensions and injuries (probably forgotten some usual suspects) but the fact it we had more wins in a season than any year in our history, it was our first premiership defence since the 1930's (didn't make a following year GF since the 4 in a row) and we were right in the GF for 3 quarters of it.

One comment that Pendlebury made was about the trip to Arizona, especially after the unscheduled GF replay. Then a serious Preseason, winning the GF and playing more football than any other team.

Perhaps it was too much. The benefits had all worn off by the time it mattered later in the year.

Interestingly one of the first things Buckley changed was cancelling the Arizona trip.

Hard to think we celebrated too hard or partied too hard, considering we dominated the majority of the 2011 season. I think I agree with HeathComeBack's assessment above that the comments relate more to the fact we burnt out, as opposed to "partying too hard".

I think if we had partied too hard, it would've told in the pre-season and we would've dropped a few games. We even won the NAB Cup that year by memory! The players returned pretty hungry I thought.

However, by the second half of the year I thought we were winning games, but not convincingly. It was more the winning culture of the side that was getting us across the line, as opposed to really good form.

Then there were the injuries in the lead-up to the GF, with Reid playing on one leg and a few others looking pretty limp.

Also, Geelong had worked us out, and beat us 3 times that year. So it was also the case of just having a bogey side that we just couldn't get across the line against.

Agree with HeathComeBack and Dave that (a) we were cooked by the end of the season and (2) Geelong was our bogey side.

The tragedy was that we were still in it right up until the end. We might have been able to steal it if MM had moved Reid or if the fickle footy gods didn't remove Podsiadly from the proceedings. It would have balanced out the injustice of 2002. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If we didn't play injured Reid and Jolly we probably would of won the 2011 GF.

Podsiadly getting injured and subbed off also worked in their favour I reckon

Luck of the draw. Steve Johnson booted 4 goals and was on 1 leg after doing his knee in the Prelim. He came in injured and basically won them the game.

Pendles should get his hand off it and cut the bs excuses.

One comment that Pendlebury made was about the trip to Arizona, especially after the unscheduled GF replay. Then a serious Preseason, winning the GF and playing more football than any other team.

Perhaps it was too much. The benefits had all worn off by the time it mattered later in the year.

Interestingly one of the first things Buckley changed was cancelling the Arizona trip.
Arizona was all Buttifant. I think it was the change in fitness staff that changed the pre season but that's beside the point I guess. I see the logic. The reality though is that we still didn't lose to anyone except Geelong even late in the season. It's more likely that the close PF took a bit out of the players IMO. That would have been a pretty draining game.

Arizona was all Buttifant. I think it was the change in fitness staff that changed the pre season but that's beside the point I guess. I see the logic. The reality though is that we still didn't lose to anyone except Geelong even late in the season. It's more likely that the close PF took a bit out of the players IMO. That would have been a pretty draining game.

I think your last point is spot on. That game against Hawthorn had a big impact on our ability to run out the GF.

It's probably been mentioned, but we went 20-2 and had a percentage of 168%, and we had a lead in the Grand Final. If we partied too hard, imagine how good we would've been if we didn't..

I don't believe it for a second.

Luck of the draw. Steve Johnson booted 4 goals and was on 1 leg after doing his knee in the Prelim. He came in injured and basically won them the game.

Pendles should get his hand off it and cut the bs excuses.
Hardly an excuse. If he was saying that the world was conspiring against them, that would be an excuse. He's actually saying that they themselves were to blame for the lost opportunity. There's no way that he'd be asking anyone to excuse the team for that.
His hand isn't anywhere near it.

Playing injured Reid and Jolley had a bit to do with it.

We didn't have much choice with jolly (wood? For gods sake)!!!

But Goldsack would have been a great sub and cover for Reid

It's got to be remembered that we Brought l brown jolly and ball to the club and they all covered gaps that were missing and we won a flag.

But none of them had long shelf lives. They were all nearing the end.

We didn't have much choice with jolly (wood? For gods sake)!!!

But Goldsack would have been a great sub and cover for Reid

It's got to be remembered that we Brought l brown jolly and ball to the club and they all covered gaps that were missing and we won a flag.

But none of them had long shelf lives. They were all nearing the end.

Didn't need Goldy, we had a bonefide gun KPD In Tarrant (who's direct opponent went off injured early) ready to curb Hawkins when it was abundantly clear Reid couldn't go with him*.

*Apologise if I'm wrong, csnt bring myself to watch that game again.

Would ya rather an injured jolly or a fit wood? Also fasolo was our sub....should of been in the game earlier.... looking back beams a massive out

Didn't need Goldy, we had a bonefide gun KPD In Tarrant (who's direct opponent went off injured early) ready to curb Hawkins when it was abundantly clear Reid couldn't go with him*.

*Apologise if I'm wrong, csnt bring myself to watch that game again.

Goldy would have been a better sub than Fasolo as he was versatile MR Fixit and could have easily come on to help Tarrant

Goldsack is the only Collingwood player from that era with a 100% winning record in Grand Finals!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldy would have been a better sub than Fasolo as he was versatile MR Fixit and could have easily come on to help Tarrant

Goldsack is the only Collingwood player from that era with a 100% winning record in Grand Finals!!!
You are right that Goldsack would have been a better choice but I don't think I thought that at the time so how much that is just hindsight I am not so sure. It's marginal compared to the one simple error of leaving injured Reid on Hawkins and having the extra tall in Tarrant without a correct Matchup. When Pods went off we were 1 tall too many down back and one of them was injured and being beaten. I couldn't and still can't fathom the reasoning. Add top that we weren't scoring and Tarrant could have at least gone forward if somehow Reid was the best defensive matchup.

MM had a shocker - as he did in 2003.

You are right that Goldsack would have been a better choice but I don't think I thought that at the time so how much that is just hindsight I am not so sure. It's marginal compared to the one simple error of leaving injured Reid on Hawkins and having the extra tall in Tarrant without a correct Matchup. When Pods went off we were 1 tall too many down back and one of them was injured and being beaten. I couldn't and still can't fathom the reasoning. Add top that we weren't scoring and Tarrant could have at least gone forward if somehow Reid was the best defensive matchup.

Factoid 1
MM tore into the club onto the very eve of the finals because he couldn't get his own way.
Factoid 2
He left a clearly injured Reid on a rampaging Hawkins when he had a ready replacement.
He was a highly experienced coach and would clearly know the outcome.
There is only one explanation.

I thought it at the time. Might not have made much difference but a first year forward pocket made no sense at all to be sub when our AA chb went into the game with an injury cloud and we had a multi positional player like Goldsack available

Factoid 1
MM tore into the club onto the very eve of the finals because he couldn't get his own way.
Factoid 2
He left a clearly injured Reid on a rampaging Hawkins when he had a ready replacement.
He was a highly experienced coach and would clearly know the outcome.
There is only one explanation.
Not sure 1 is a fact but 2 is spot on IMO. I'm not sure about your one explanation though. Do you think MM tried to lose to hurt Collingwood? I hope you aren't that delusional and warped. I think MM always coached on train tracks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back