Opinion Pendles and Steele are Past Their Prime

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are these sure fire untaggable players who always deliver in finals?

Going by this year, with current players - Bontempelli or Neale wouldn't satisfy your requirements. Last year, Dusty wouldn't have. From the past, Brereton, Carey, Gary Ablett Snr, despite all playing same cracking finals all had some very down days on the big stage.
Apart from Neale and Ablett Senior, all those guys have shown it when the chips are down. Sidey hasnt - he cant handle a tag so he will get it for the rest of his career. This isnt a bad day this is a trend.

Apart from Neale and Ablett Senior, all those guys have shown it when the chips are down. Sidey hasnt - he cant handle a tag so he will get it for the rest of his career. This isnt a bad day this is a trend.

I've got absolutely no idea what you are talking about with the bolded.

Sidey gets subdued by a topline tager, as do all but a couple of players in the league. Very rarely beaten though. The tagger doesn't often do anything themselves. A lot of teams don't tag anymore becasue it can be exploited to stuff up that teams own plans and structure. Like Pendles, if Sidey is good enough to cop a tag, it's up to the coaches and other players to take advantage of it, particularly as we have a dominant ruckman. We all knew those tags were coming, but didn't seem to try to exploit them.

Adam Simpson would have had a field day with a dominant ruckman and a bloke being tagged at stoppage. When it gets bounced, Pendles shifts across to their side-on bloke, dragging De Boer with him. Wills locks down and blocks their bloke at the back of the pack, leaving Grundy to hit it to Adams alone in the clear with one side of the pack to himself. Rinse and repeat until they adjust and stop tagging Pendles around stoppage.

Last edited:
Pendles was AA wasn’t he? Copped a tag from the best tagger in the game and still had over 20 touches....
Only 18 for Pendles, but keeping him to that was such a singular focus that a bloke for them played midfield all day, yet only had 9 possessions.

I think we need to make some hard decisions.

Grundy wants to go home. He showed yesterday his dominance is pretty much meaningless if our midfield is not able to handle finals pressure.

I think we should trade Grundy and look to trade 2 others who cant stand final pressure - Sidebottom and Treloar. They will not win us a flag.

We have to bite the bullet and start the rebuild now. The current midfield cant handle pressure. - down hill skiers.
Wow!

De boer has kept a few players quiet over the past month. Pendles is still a weapon. I’m done with treloar though he is not worth wot we are paying him.

And we need more mongrel!!!!!

Yeah. I agree with this too. Too many times GWS we pushing our guys into the ground after contests. Almost bullying some of our guys. We need to allow our guys to play with some venom. If we get a suspension here or there it won’t matter, but we definitely need to find a way to intimidate other teams.

I thought Pendles had a strong year. Reckon he is still right in his prime...although perhaps not at the same level as 2011-2013. But still very high level.

Sidebottom had a solid year, without reaching the same heights as 2018. I think he played more inside last year, whereas this year he was purely on the outside. He'll be disappointed with his prelim, as will the other mids.

Reckon both play into their mid 30s.

I thought Pendles had a strong year. Reckon he is still right in his prime...although perhaps not at the same level as 2011-2013. But still very high level.

Sidebottom had a solid year, without reaching the same heights as 2018. I think he played more inside last year, whereas this year he was purely on the outside. He'll be disappointed with his prelim, as will the other mids.

Reckon both play into their mid 30s.
yea most likely. they both have a lot to offer still :)

De boer has kept a few players quiet over the past month. Pendles is still a weapon. I’m done with treloar though he is not worth wot we are paying him.

I was of the understanding that Treloar's not on that much relative to comparable mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was of the understanding that Treloar's not on that much relative to comparable mids.

Reported 750k pa. About the mark for him I reckon.

Would love too see a break down of our tpp without names attached.
Just to see what kind of spread of payments we have, when you consider the tight cap was reported all the way back when were finishing bottom 6 it makes you wonder.

But tagging has been an effective defensive mechanism for decades it's just a lot of modern coaches don't employ it.

I wish we tagged Williams on our 2 games vs GWS.
Round 2 Greenwood tagged Dusty. Round 3 he went to Shuey, WCE was able to exploit it becasue they were able to dictate positioning at CB, due to Greenwood automatically following Shuey. Thus they were able to work it to have Gaff free in the clear at centre bounce. We didn't tag again for the rest of the year, but bizarrely didn't try to exploit opposition taggers, despite having a dominant ruckman. I'm a fan of tagging around the ground, particularly damaging outsiders, but not at stoppage where Williams did his damage.

Reported 750k pa. About the mark for him I reckon.

Would love too see a break down of our tpp without names attached.
Just to see what kind of spread of payments we have, when you consider the tight cap was reported all the way back when were finishing bottom 6 it makes you wonder.

Be sure to share when you get your hands on it.

Round 2 Greenwood tagged Dusty. Round 3 he went to Shuey, WCE was able to exploit it becasue they were able to dictate positioning at CB, due to Greenwood automatically following Shuey. Thus they were able to work it to have Gaff free in the clear at centre bounce. We didn't tag again for the rest of the year, but bizarrely didn't try to exploit opposition taggers, despite having a dominant ruckman. I'm a fan of tagging around the ground, particularly damaging outsiders, but not at stoppage where Williams did his damage.

Can't let players like Williams free wheel through the stoppages.

Must have someone who stands him and defensively minded. Too damaging to let him cut through and release 50m by foot. Crisp should of been used on him in a defensive job after half time.
Williams also often is the player they use 10m off the stoppage out the back the one they try release we also allowed this all game.

Can't let players like Williams free wheel through the stoppages.

Must have someone who stands him and defensively minded. Too damaging to let him cut through and release 50m by foot. Crisp should of been used on him in a defensive job after half time.
Williams also often is the player they use 10m off the stoppage out the back the one they try release we also allowed this all game.
I'm probably being semantic, but block and don't tag, we've got a dominant ruckman, it should be easy to block him.

I'm probably being semantic, but block and don't tag, we've got a dominant ruckman, it should be easy to block him.

Anything is better then the nothing we did to try curb him our last 2 games.

After they destroyed us with him in the guts in the HnA game you think the powers that be would of had a plan for if they threw him in there again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back