Opinion Pendles and Steele are Past Their Prime

I never said they are Finished but Espically Pendles they are not the Players they where once.

I been thinking of this for awhile and Maybe should made a Thread earlier about it but not something I just came up yesterdau

Pendles is an all Australian 31 year old who was tagged yesterday. He is doing brilliantly. If we get another 2 years of this quality Peddles, everyone would be stoked.

Sidebottom is a great player but sometimes from the wing you just don't win the footy as the play is just not going through you. Treloar and Adams were the midfielders who were smashed yesterday. They too are great players and I expect them to come back better next year because of it.

I think we need to make some hard decisions.

Grundy wants to go home. He showed yesterday his dominance is pretty much meaningless if our midfield is not able to handle finals pressure.

I think we should trade Grundy and look to trade 2 others who cant stand final pressure - Sidebottom and Treloar. They will not win us a flag.

We have to bite the bullet and start the rebuild now. The current midfield cant handle pressure. - down hill skiers.

Sidebottom can't handle finals pressure? OK buddy. Maybe we should bring in Beams who is that type of player that just always performs in big finals?

Apr 5, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some comments in this thread are below the belt.

Pendles and Sidey imo are over the hump but are still in their primes, not past them and are necessary in building the next wave. Unfortunately Sier, Wills, Beams, etc. haven't been able to step up and take the focus and load from these 2 champions. They are relied upon too much and can't keep playing in the guts week in week out.

We have too many role players and not enough elite talent.

If Sier can't fully commit for what ever reason then pull the trigger. We have plenty of talent in this group and it's time to step up or move them on and try to find some diamonds in the draft or in the current system.

Grundy wants to go home. He showed yesterday his dominance is pretty much meaningless if our midfield is not able to handle finals pressure.

I think we should trade Grundy and look to trade 2 others who cant stand final pressure - Sidebottom and Treloar. They will not win us a flag.

We have to bite the bullet and start the rebuild now. The current midfield cant handle pressure. - down hill skiers.
You might want to check out Sidebottoms finals record. About 10 great games and two quiet games.

He's a gun in big games, so he's copped a couple of tags recently and he's taggable.

Crazy 😜

Midfield and forward line were both issues. I don't agree that Beams adressed the midfield weakness in fact he adds a lot of what our mids already provide.

Imo we should of made a play for the more explosive Dylan Shiel.
To me the biggest issue with our forward line is that we choose to have them outnumbered too often. In yesterday's game of metrage full of scrappy balls forward, it was nuts to allow Haynes to roam free and mop up everything.

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here’s how I see our best mids at the moment. In particular for centre bounces.
Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Beams: experience, silk, skills and smarts.
Crisp, Adams, De Goey:grunt, drive, speed, penetration, tackling, hardness. ( could throw Maynard, even a developing Quaynor in there as well. )
I see Treloar as coming off the square, wing and outside at stoppages around the ground. I’d even try giving him some time behind the ball off half back.
I’d prefer to see only one of our elder statesmen in the middle at any one time while the other two play forward or behind the ball or have a rest.
We need to give our next generation some more responsibility.
I’m still hesitant about Sier and Wills whose main assets are tackling and handballing .
Think the obsession with big-bodied mids is overplayed. Unless they are elite kickers, strong overhead or able to go forward and cause havoc like Fyfe, Danger, Bont, Martin, Cripps I’d avoid them to be honest. Sier may still develop but has to add a couple of the above traits.
Don’t see any of our smaller forwards spending much time in the middle.
Don’t think Sidebottom and Phillips/Mayne on the wing is the way to go moving forward either. Sidey needs to go forward more. Would like Crisp, Treloar, WHE, Stevo to spend time on the wing. Sidey and Phillips can spread the load.
Mids/Wingers that can go forward/back when needed are gold and we have them so let’s use them and sign up another young, tough, fast, inside clearance winner with smarts and all round skills.

Last edited:

Maggie Greg

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sidebottom can't handle finals pressure? OK buddy. Maybe we should bring in Beams who is that type of player that just always performs in big finals?
No he cant - look at yesterday look at 2018 GF. He cant handle being sat on and he isnt going to get any better. Beams is a total disaster of a trade caused by an inept list manager.

Chief Ten Beers

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Trading Beams is the worst list decision since the board voted no on Lockett.

Yes, worse than Jessie White, Simon Buckley, Clinton Young...
Well maybe not that bad....but still, yes it's a disaster.

Stephenson baffles me. He is supposed to be super quick but never runs away from his man. He gets shut down way to easily with the ball for a guy whose supposed to have elites speed.

Sidebottom needs to play high half forward and kick 40 goals next year. Degoey has to be a 80/20 mid. Beams on the ball and Treloar on wing. Make Sier follow Phillip's all preseason.

Pendles cant be Capt next year. Its Adams's time.

I really like the Treloar to a wing idea. Not convinced on either Sier or Wills. I think both are okay for depth.

No he cant - look at yesterday look at 2018 GF. He cant handle being sat on and he isnt going to get any better. Beams is a total disaster of a trade caused by an inept list manager.
Who are these sure fire untaggable players who always deliver in finals?

Going by this year, with current players - Bontempelli or Neale wouldn't satisfy your requirements. Last year, Dusty wouldn't have. From the past, Brereton, Carey, Gary Ablett Snr, despite all playing same cracking finals all had some very down days on the big stage.

Oct 28, 2006
MT OLYMPUS
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Olympiakos, McLaren
Well Stepho looked like a Player lacking Match Fitness.

Him Having a Bye after the VFL and then After our QF Win did not help Stepho Much.

He play well on a Win and Shown in U-18 Level he can Dominate in the Midfield espically late in his 2nd Half of his Draft Season

Definitely looked like he hadn’t played for months. All his own doing, though.

Was he a wingman or centre square at 18s level. I think he’d be a great offensive wingman, but I wouldn’t be placing him at the feet of Grundy till he’s put on at least 10kilos. And when he does put on 10kgs does he retain his speed?

Nebula1971

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
F1 McLaren
I never said they are Finished but Espically Pendles they are not the Players they where once.

I been thinking of this for awhile and Maybe should made a Thread earlier about it but not something I just came up yesterdau

No, I never said you said that mate.. I guess I read some negativity in the post and I must have still been a bit sensitive after yesterday’s heart breaker AGAIN!!!!

Don’t read too much into it

piepark

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2004
They're still stars. They're the ones from our team who cop all the defensive focus, but unless you're a contested beast or lightning quick, it's pretty hard to shake a good tagger. I actually think Sidebottom is in his prime - it's just that he often cops a hard tag because he was so good last year and the few times this year that he hasn't been tagged.

Having said that, I want to see them both playing flank and wing roles next year - edge of the stoppage rather than in the heart of it- more to do with strength, power and aggression around the stoppage, which I think is a weakness in our team and has never been a strength of either of them.
I think the club has recognised they need support in recruiting Beams and Wells but is has not worked out. That was the risk they took and now we are entering 2020 and probably thinking where to from here?

I think the club has recognised they need support in recruiting Beams and Wells but is has not worked out. That was the risk they took and now we are entering 2020 and probably thinking where to from here?
Even if fit, Wells and Beams were the wrong type of player to complement them. Need pure insiders.

Definitely looked like he hadn’t played for months. All his own doing, though.

Was he a wingman or centre square at 18s level. I think he’d be a great offensive wingman, but I wouldn’t be placing him at the feet of Grundy till he’s put on at least 10kilos. And when he does put on 10kgs does he retain his speed?
Yeah Stevo in the centre square isn't a short term answer. We're already skewed towards skill over strength in those contests.

Back