Pendles half year long injury with thanks to 'think better' on Nicks

Remove this Banner Ad

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our captain clearly wasn't 100% last year and here is the reason why - with many thanks to 'think better' over on Nick's for posting the OP there.

an article in the Adelaide Now site talks about Pendlebury's injury throughout 2018 - seemed pretty obvious the he was carrying something for most of the year but this sounds pretty serious.

No point me posting a link but here is a bit of the article

Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury has revealed his secret struggle with a back problem last year which required post-season surgery.

The superstar onballer went under the knife after the Grand Final loss to relieve a debilitating nerve issue which hampered him in the second-half of last season.

While the five-time club champion has since regained full mobility, Pendlebury said he could barely pick the ball up off the ground at times last year.

“I was in a bit of strife most weeks last year,” Pendlebury said on the Jock and Journo podcast.

“It is not a nice feeling when you come out after half-time and you can barely touch your knees.

“I couldn’t believe the difference when I started training again in the summer (after the surgery), just being able to bend over and pick up ground balls easily.

“I remember saying to one of the physios ‘it feels good being able to get down to the ground so easily without having to worry about coming back up’.”

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
This article has been up on the AFL website since earlier today, and no doubt it says something similar: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-21/surgery-gives-pies-skipper-a-happy-case-of-the-bends

COLLINGWOOD came within a whisker of winning the premiership last year despite a crippling casualty list, and it could have been significantly worse given the revelation skipper Scott Pendlebury suffered a severe back injury for the bulk of the season.

The veteran midfielder underwent post-season surgery to repair a nerve issue that had caused his back to seize up and hampered his ability to reach for ground balls.

Pendlebury battled through the pain to play 25 of the Pies' 26 games and still managed to finish third in their best and fairest award and be No.1 at the club for pressure acts.

The surgery has resulted in a full recovery for the 31-year-old, who has also benefited from a new pilates and stretching program.

The Magpie champion has returned to his best this pre-season and is primed to take on Geelong in the Pies' season-opener at the MCG on Friday.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I would have rathered him miss half the season last year and play the other half fully fit rather than him play half fit the whole time. Could have cost us a premiership.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
There were some F-wits around here trying to write him off late last year. It's amazing he was as good as he was.
Definitely one of the finest of his era. He should be able to go on playing at a very high level for a fair while yet. Since pace is not a big part of his game slowing down with age is hardly likely to trouble him!

Our captain clearly wasn't 100% last year and here is the reason why - with many thanks to 'think better' over on Nick's for posting the OP there.

an article in the Adelaide Now site talks about Pendlebury's injury throughout 2018 - seemed pretty obvious the he was carrying something for most of the year but this sounds pretty serious.

No point me posting a link but here is a bit of the article

Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury has revealed his secret struggle with a back problem last year which required post-season surgery.

The superstar onballer went under the knife after the Grand Final loss to relieve a debilitating nerve issue which hampered him in the second-half of last season.

While the five-time club champion has since regained full mobility, Pendlebury said he could barely pick the ball up off the ground at times last year.

“I was in a bit of strife most weeks last year,” Pendlebury said on the Jock and Journo podcast.

“It is not a nice feeling when you come out after half-time and you can barely touch your knees.

“I couldn’t believe the difference when I started training again in the summer (after the surgery), just being able to bend over and pick up ground balls easily.

“I remember saying to one of the physios ‘it feels good being able to get down to the ground so easily without having to worry about coming back up’.”

Is Pendles a better kick on the right or left?
I noticed last year and even this year in the JLT his left foot kicks go in one direction >>>>>>>Left?

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
There were some F-wits around here trying to write him off late last year. It's amazing he was as good as he was.
If he was so unfit he should not have been playing. Once a player is judged fit to play you expect him to be able to perform at a normal level. I don't recall 'writing him off' and being one of your *******s but I certainly didn't think he was the Pendlebury I knew from previous years. Once you are judged OK to take the field week after week, there are no excuses. Usually like your comments, but think you have gone too far this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
When did Pendles use his injury as an excuse?

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he was so unfit he should not have been playing. Once a player is judged fit to play you expect him to be able to perform at a normal level. I don't recall 'writing him off' and being one of your *******s but I certainly didn't think he was the Pendlebury I knew from previous years. Once you are judged OK to take the field week after week, there are no excuses. Usually like your comments, but think you have gone too far this time.
Too simplistic - no one is making excuses here, it's a simple explanation for the drop in performance we all witnessed.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just looking at the old cliche: cross the white line you’re fit...

In some ways, it’s an easy way to go but also rather silly too.

Ofcourse they are not 100% but surely nobody can suggest no Pendlebury (say Daicos or Callum Brown plays instead) is better than 70% Pendlebury?

No way is our player making their way in for Scott better than a lesser Pendlebury.

Scott played well enough to be third in the Copeland.

Scott played well enough to be final 40 squad of All Australian.

No Scott I reckon we don’t make the GF, he was that important.
Elite is elite even at a lesser level.

Another example Dusty Martin was certainly a shadow of himself in the Prelim.
But Richmond were absolutely right to play him that night.
Because he would still be better than the non descript 23rd man they’d have thrown in.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just looking at the old cliche: cross the white line you’re fit...

In some ways, it’s an easy way to go but also rather silly too.

Ofcourse they are not 100% but surely nobody can suggest no Pendlebury (say Daicos or Callum Brown plays instead) is better than 70% Pendlebury?

No way is our player making their way in for Scott better than a lesser Pendlebury.

Scott played well enough to be third in the Copeland.

Scott played well enough to be final 40 squad of All Australian.

No Scott I reckon we don’t make the GF, he was that important.
Elite is elite even at a lesser level.

Another example Dusty Martin was certainly a shadow of himself in the Prelim.
But Richmond were absolutely right to play him that night.
Because he would still be better than the non descript 23rd man they’d have thrown in.
I can accept much of what you are saying but I don't accept Kirby calling people *******s just because they could see that he was a lesser player last year than in former years.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can accept much of what you are saying but I don't accept Kirby calling people *******s just because they could see that he was a lesser player last year than in former years.
Name calling is better left alone.
Rarely helps the argument.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Too simplistic - no one is making excuses here, it's a simple explanation for the drop in performance we all witnessed.
We know about it now but not last year when he was being played regularly with no injury concerns reported by the club. People were entitled to judge what they saw.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sounds like spinal stenosis maybe? Amazing to even be playing with that sort of s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back