Pendles: I thought Buckley was nuts

Oct 14, 2015
Free State NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Funny article today in the Age about Bucks and Pendles first impressions of each other.

There are many pearls in this article Dawesome, ranging from Cloke to injuries. Of note:

"He (Buckley) is so different now. As a player he used to go psycho at training. I remember my second year he went psycho one night at me at training because I didn't kick him the ball in about the second drills we did and I thought 'this guy is a nutter'.

"As a coach, he is the polar opposite of that. He is just about teaching. He loves the game and the passion you saw as a player now he is trying to teach players little things."

Great article with Pendles really giving an insight into what makes him so good.

Every week I go to the footy determined to enjoy watching Pendles play footy for Collingwood, because players like him don't come around too often.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Both outstanding players, likely good people.
Both should hopefully have flag success together.

Great stuff.

I love the no excuses attitude Pendles has. No wonder he eats pressure for breakfast, like all the great players.

It also clarifies his injury problems early in the year, something certain posters here refused to acknowledge.

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
This article needs to be revisited and requoted every pre-game match selection time. The fact that Cloke is just another of the boys, not a big name, and that his perceived desire is not the same as White, Cox, etc.

Complacency is something that is sure to set in for a mind that works a certain way, especially after you've already climbed the mountain. When Cloke gets in his own head that he wants to be 2010-11 Cloke again, he'll be back in the team.

The biggest/most obvious tone of this article is that it's all about managing a diverse set of personalities and motivations and why being a coach must be the most gratifying and frustrating job in the world. How does Ross Lyon feel at zip and 10 with a team that was 17-5 last year?

Back