People that hand out how-to-vote cards

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Noticed a heap of them yesterday gathered around the shire offices driving back from lunch. Seriously where do they find these cretinous losers? Don't these people have jobs or anything better to do?

I guess I could understand someone doing it if they were getting paid but for a major political party and for free?

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
You're happy enough to take pot shots from the cheap seats. Why don't you get involved if you think you can do better.
Umm, I'm not an air head that blindly barracks for political party like a footy team and have about a million better things to do with my time?

Noticed a heap of them yesterday gathered around the shire offices driving back from lunch. Seriously where do they find these cretinous losers? Don't these people have jobs or anything better to do?

I guess I could understand someone doing it if they were getting paid but for a major political party and for free?

during the week the volunteers are mostly retirees and students (who do it around their schedule)

as for why, people bitch about the system, the candidates, and what they do. sitting on your arse complaining doesn't change things however. if you want to effect change, you need to have a say in preselection at your branch, and influence what you/your branch rep will advocate for at the national conference (that determines policy).

yes you get some nuffies, but most are good people who just want to see good government - they dont deserve to get insulted

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't mind the people who give out the how to vote cards...
I haven't taken one in many years but they are there and believe in something strongly enough

I have seen wondering though, why there isn't an easy App that can be used as a how to vote instruction rather than all the paper

I haven't taken one in many years but they are there and believe in something strongly enough

I have seen wondering though, why there isn't an easy App that can be used as a how to vote instruction rather than all the paper

Are you allowed to use your phone in the voting booth area though? Maybe I am confusing voting and customs though :D

In Tassie (I think) they did away with HTV cards by having them published in the booth

the problem with this as a solution however is fairness. With scores of candidates in a senate ticket now, there just isnt enough room for every candidate who wants it displayed to have their info displayed

with regards to using an app, that may be an issue for those without smart phones, the elderly, or people with poor vision.

Personally I wish to move to electronic voting, and if you do that you could have a touch pad at the ballot box that allows you to review candidate info and preference advice

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
In Tassie (I think) they did away with HTV cards by having them published in the booth

the problem with this as a solution however is fairness. With scores of candidates in a senate ticket now, there just isnt enough room for every candidate who wants it displayed to have their info displayed

with regards to using an app, that may be an issue for those without smart phones, the elderly, or people with poor vision.

Personally I wish to move to electronic voting, and if you do that you could have a touch pad at the ballot box that allows you to review candidate info and preference advice

I think htv cards are are no longer required. In the past minor parties had difficulty getting their message across, htv from the majors helped inform which minors were more closely aligned with their positions.

Things have changed though, with the internet anyone can research the minors if you you want. And the majors don’t preference on policies anymore, just gaming the preferences to maximise their vote.

I’d scrap htv.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think htv cards are are no longer required. In the past minor parties had difficulty getting their message across, htv from the majors helped inform which minors were more closely aligned with their positions.

Things have changed though, with the internet anyone can research the minors if you you want. And the majors don’t preference on policies anymore, just gaming the preferences to maximise their vote.

I’d scrap htv.

the HTV card is all about gaming the system, which is what people want them for - how to I maximize the benefit for who I want to support

I'm all for replacing them, but with info in the booth from all candidates

I think that there would be kudos to the first major who said they'd scrap htv cards.

you know if they do that they would only do it if they introduce at the same time auto preferencing so they can promote "just vote 1 for us"

the majors and minors both wont give up the ability to direct preferences. Majors need it to optimise their vote, and minors need it to have a chance in hell of winning

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some people have this constant chip on their shoulder, they believe everyone else doesn't work anywhere near as hard as they do (stay at home Mothers, Child Careers, Aged Care workers, People who hand out HTV cards, Demonstrators etc)

Its really weird
It's this perception that breeds the right wing version of class warfare: 'I'm well off because I bust my arse. Those people are poor because they're lazy and didn't get more hours or a better job. Labor looks after the dole bludgers, they're all sitting pretty [below the poverty line] sponging off my taxes and they don't want a job!'

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer

We still have them in Federal Elections. I'll be handing them out for a few hours on the day. They are banned in State Elections as part of the Hare-Clark system.

Leaving aside the idiotic (and it really is) stuff about 'don't these people have jobs??1/11???!?!' (I mean, everyone who works, works 9-5 weekdays, right?) there are basically two ways to have an influence on our politics in this country. You can be a swinging voter in a swinging seat, or you can pick a side and get involved. People outside polling places can and do change people's vote. Those conversations can sometimes remind people why they were going to vote one way or another.

Or you could just snipe on an internet forum and have no real impact on anything. But if you do and then you try to make fun of the people who have gotten involved, you look like a tit.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Last election i saw the most wonderful thing.

At a small voting post there was a elderly couple handing out how to vote cards - for the liberals

The labor and greens were off having some lunch so they were asking who are you interested in with all three cards in their hands.

They were all friends of different political stripes - so they just covered for each other so they got a break through the day.

Pity our own elected reprehensibles dont even pay lip service to this any more - they just trash what came before them to be different. Theres very little bi partisanship on anything it seems - unless its restricting freedoms.

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
Most of them are

1. Students: trying to get involved in the system to have their concerns heard and/or building a professional network base.

2. Business professionals: also trying to get involved in the system to have their concerns heard and building their business network in a way that can enhance their work/business prospects.

3. Retirees: nothing better to do other than watch Studio 10 at home and also like to have their concerns heard.

Power to them. I did it before (last time 9 years ago) but have not done it since as I am now more impartial to major political parties in the wake of how poor government has been since that time, and some of the snobby lawyer types etc. that infest major party groups.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Weird concept I have always thought to myself.
If I had no idea how to vote, I would certainly find a way to find out before voting day. I guess how to vote cards assume 99% people are too dumb to even know how to fill out a voting sheet for house of reps and the senate.

Just being offered one seems weird. Never take any as insult as implies you got no idea what you doing. Every person that takes one is to some degree accepting they are like sheep. It is way I look at it on the day, when going to polling booth.

Sad thing is they are probably right. Over 80% of people probably do not understand how the voting works,

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Weird concept I have always thought to myself.
If I had no idea how to vote, I would certainly find a way to find out before voting day. I guess how to vote cards assume 99% people are too dumb to even know how to fill out a voting sheet for house of reps and the senate.

Just being offered one seems weird. Never take any as insult as implies you got no idea what you doing. Every person that takes one is to some degree accepting they are like sheep. It is way I look at it on the day, when going to polling booth.

Sad thing is they are probably right. Over 80% of people probably do not understand how the voting works,
Last couple of times I've just said thanks but no thanks, I know who I'm voting for, politely.

Most of them reply like, oh good on you, have a nice day etc

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Last couple of times I've just said thanks but no thanks, I know who I'm voting for, politely.

Most of them reply like, oh good on you, have a nice day etc

Yeah, I try to be polite too even though offering the cards is kind of an insult in itself. But I do not think most of the people even handing out the cards would really get that. I doubt they really think much about it. It is not just about who you voting for. It is the concept of how to vote that is the underlying concept.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
Yeah, I try to be polite too even though offering the cards is kind of an insult in itself. But I do not think most of the people even handing out the cards would really get that. I doubt they really think much about it. It is not just about who you voting for. It is the concept of how to vote that is the underlying concept.

Well the cards are something offered for people who simply want to support the party of their choice and prefer to leave the details to that party. I don't think it should be seen as insulting since if I'm standing outside a booth offering you a card, that doesn't say anything at all about what I think of you personally since I don't know you.

Especially now that you can't just put a '1' above the line for your preferred party* there are plenty out there who don't really know what every candidate in every group might stand for. It's simply saying that if you're someone who just wants to support party X - this is how. Plenty of people don't take the time to research every candidate or group which is not really surprising.

So, actually, I have thought about it. Can't speak for others, but the sorts of people who hand these things out tend to be the sorts of people who spend the most time thinking about politics. It's a tiny bit like door-knocking. You might be surprised how many people out there are actually really happy to have their door knocked and happy to have a chat.

*You actually can, in fact as I understand it if you just tick the party of choice on a Senate ballot then your vote will be formal and just exhaust when all the candidates of that group are either elected or eliminated. But you shouldn't. If you're unsure then take an HTV from the party of your choice and follow that. Having some or all of your vote exhaust means you aren't getting max value from it.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
*You actually can, in fact as I understand it if you just tick the party of choice on a Senate ballot then your vote will be formal and just exhaust when all the candidates of that group are either elected or eliminated. But you shouldn't. If you're unsure then take an HTV from the party of your choice and follow that. Having some or all of your vote exhaust means you aren't getting max value from it.
You can also fill out every number, but sadly how to vote cards are really not about how to vote in general, but how to vote for a party in way that party would like your vote. It would be a lot better if how to vote cards actually educated people on how voting system actually works. Sadly that is not what they are.

The good thing is people actually do get a choice. If the voting system was taught in schools as compulsory when kids were in late teens would be great step forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back