People who are legends at three or more clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
There are plenty of people who are remembered as legends for their playing, coaching or managing careers at one or two clubs, but are there many you can think of who are absolute legends at three clubs (or more)?

Probably the ones that come to mind most readily are Barassi (Melbourne, Carlton, North Melbourne... probably worth brief consideration for helping save Sydney from extinction, but no), and Matthews (Hawthorn, Brisbane and worth legendary status IMO for the drought-breaking premiership at Collingwood).

I feel like Sheedy is worth a mention as the grandfather of GWS, alongside being an obviously legendary contributor at Essendon and Richmond. Then it gets hard. You could possibly put forward Neil Balme, especially if SANFL comes into consideration: he made an outstanding contribution for a long time at Collingwood, he's one of the architects of Geelong's recent success after decades in the wilderness, he's a hall of famer at Norwood and he's obviously revered at Tigerland. I'm actually really surprised that he doesn't appear to be a life member for Collingwood, or especially Geelong.

Any others?

Malthouse?

Yeah thought of him, but probably just makes the cut at West Coast and Collingwood for me.

Seems like he was a decent player but by no means a star. Had a pretty good run as coach of the Bulldogs, arguably closer to being a legend there than at the clubs he played for.

Yeah thought of him, but probably just makes the cut at West Coast and Collingwood for me.

Seems like he was a decent player but by no means a star. Had a pretty good run as coach of the Bulldogs, arguably closer to being a legend there than at the clubs he played for.

Solid premiership player for tigers. Surely is worthy of inclusion

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Greg Williams played elite footy at 3 different clubs, but was only really a legend at Carlton.

Mick Malthouse is close. His coaching career was legendary and had a good playing career.

There’s a few that did it at two clubs that come to mind. Malcolm Blight and Ian Stewart mainly. Maybe Chris Judd and Gary Ablett too.

Damien Hardwick has had success at 3, but he’d only be considered a legend at Richmond.

Solid premiership player for tigers. Surely is worthy of inclusion

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd argue that a premiership coach is automatically worthy but not a premiership player. As a player, I think you'd have to have been a B&F/AA calibre (maybe State of Origin if Malthouse ever pulled on the Big V?) to make the cut, but of course it's very subjective.

Jarman's a good call: career was right around the time where gun SA/WA players didn't automatically head to Victoria, so he was at North Adelaide for an extended period, then had a fantastic career with Hawthorn and Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit harsh. Played in/coached flags at all 3 clubs. Pretty impressive effort

Josh Mahoney has a better claim to Port legend status than Dimma does on several stats - do you consider him worthy of legend status too?

Yeah if you’re looking at club legends then Dimma doesn’t make the cut at Essendon and Port. When I think of Essendon legends it’s more along the lines of Reynolds, Hutchison, Coleman, Hird, Lloyd, Tim Watson, Fletcher, Daniher.

Most premiership teams would only have a handful of players at most that would go down as club legends.

Bit harsh. Played in/coached flags at all 3 clubs. Pretty impressive effort

Yeah I have no problem if people want to put him down as a legend for Port, I guess being in the first AFL premiership for the club gives it some extra merit. He was also part of the coaching staff for Hawthorn's 2008 premiership IIRC.But three seasons, premiership player and no other accolades (as far as I can see) for the club just doesn't quite cut it for me.

As Geelong supporters, for our recent premierships I'd say the minimum cut off would be Shannon Byrnes (two premierships, 100 games) or James Podsiadly (leading goalkicker in a premiership year). Single premiership players like Lonergan, Duncan and King can make it on being very good players (and in different ways heart and soul of the club types, in King and Lonergan's case) for a very long time. But Nathan Ablett, Mark Blake, Trent West, Allen Christensen? Not legendary Geelong careers for me.

Last edited:
Can’t think of anyone that genuinely qualifies. David Parkin would be close with his efforts at Fitzroy.

I feel like even for the harshest critic, even if you're only considering VFL/AFL clubs, it can't be denied that Barassi and, to a lesser extent, Matthews are legends at three clubs. Beyond that, it feels like it depends on how lenient you are with the legend status, whether you're considering other state leagues etc.

Tom Hafey. Legend status at Richmond. Took Pies from last to 2nd (1st if Carman didn’t get suspended). Very highly regarded at Sydney in ‘86/‘87 he had them flying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back