People who are legends at three or more clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Only modern day player i can think of is Matt Spangher

Mitch Morton’s in the conversation. Premiership hero at Sydney, ushered out Terry Wallace to make way for the Damien Hardwick era at Richmond, had some legendary off field form at West Coast.

If it’s not then Wilt Chamberlain, Shaquille O’Neal and LeBron James need a lot of attention
Kenny is The King for a reason.

Wilt and Shaq are certainly worthy of being in the discussion. In my opinion, LeBron is not a legend at the Lakers at this stage. Certainly at Cleveland and Miami though.

Jonathan Giles obviously

Premiership player at Port.

Taylor Duryea is a dual premiership player. Im not sure too many would rate him higher than above average as a player.

To be objective you have to start with what you think is a legend, should be hard to get there just at 1 club let alone 3. Probably Barrassi, Matthews and Blight would have the strongest cases imo

There aren’t very many legends in the AFL hall of fame. For example Dunstall, Ablett Snr and Lockett are all still waiting for their elevations.

If we’re talking AFL legends then I can only name about 6-7 players from the last decade that would make the cut. Ablett Jr, Franklin, Judd and Martin are legends. Fyfe, Goodes, Dangerfield, Riewoldt are probables and possibles. It’s a pretty short list and makes for a very quick discussion.

If we set the bar to club legend status that changes things. Matthew Richardson is a legend of the Richmond football club, but not an AFL legend. From the last 20 years I’d say Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt and Richo will be remembered as Richmond legends, but only Martin will be remembered as an AFL legend.

Last edited:
There aren’t very many legends in the AFL hall of fame. For example Dunstall, Ablett Snr and Lockett are all still waiting for their elevations.

If we’re talking AFL legends then I can only name about 6-7 players from the last decade that would make the cut. Ablett Jr, Franklin, Judd and Martin are legends. Fyfe, Goodes, Dangerfield, Riewoldt are probables and possibles. It’s a pretty short list and makes for a very quick discussion.

If we set the bar to club legend status that changes things. Matthew Richardson is a legend of the Richmond football club, but not an AFL legend. From the last 20 years I’d say Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt and Richo will be remembered as Richmond legends, but only Martin will be remembered as an AFL legend.

I probably look at a club (playing) legend as just that little bit extra than the obligatory nondescript ten year life membership.

I mentioned earlier in the thread, the likes of Shannon Byrnes or James Podsiadly for Geelong would just about be my cut off. People probably do a double take on that, but look at it this way: they're around 150th in career games for the Cats and about 80-odd and 40-odd in career goals. So you'd probably be struggling to name 100 players who did more for Geelong in the VFL/AFL than them. In 125-odd years. And then you add their premierships and I say they belong. Now obviously Pods and Byrnes did nothing of note at other clubs, but that's about the absolute minimum for a player, for me.

I probably look at a club (playing) legend as just that little bit extra than the obligatory nondescript ten year life membership.

I mentioned earlier in the thread, the likes of Shannon Byrnes or James Podsiadly for Geelong would just about be my cut off. People probably do a double take on that, but look at it this way: they're around 150th in career games for the Cats and about 80-odd and 40-odd in career goals. So you'd probably be struggling to name 100 players who did more for Geelong in the VFL/AFL than them. In 125-odd years. And then you add their premierships and I say they belong. Now obviously Pods and Byrnes did nothing of note at other clubs, but that's about the absolute minimum for a player, for me.

Being the 80th most capped out of 1100 odd players in history isn’t legendary. Neither would be in the top 15 Cats players of just that era.

Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Corey, Kelly, Ling, Scarlett, Enright, Milburn, Taylor, Harley, Chapman, Hawkins, Johnson, Mooney, Lonergan, Mackie, Ottens

Players that are barely best 22 aren’t legends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being the 80th most capped out of 1100 odd players in history isn’t legendary. Neither would be in the top 15 Cats players of just that era.

Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Corey, Kelly, Ling, Scarlett, Enright, Milburn, Taylor, Harley, Chapman, Hawkins, Johnson, Mooney, Lonergan, Mackie, Ottens

Players that are barely best 22 aren’t legends.

And that's all fine. It's very subjective. But dig a little deeper and you can start seeing the problems. I love Tom Lonergan, but you can't have him on that list and leave off Steven King. What about Wojcinski? Stokes? Hunt? Varcoe arguably deserves to be in just from his 2011 GF heroics. I'll be talking about his three goals in 2070.

You don't have to be a hall of famer to be a club legend, as far as I'm concerned. That's why just being on the list for ten years is enough for life membership at most clubs. Is life member synonomous with 'legend'? I think there's certainly an argument that it is.

I think 100-ish games of service and being the #1 forward target in a premiership team earns you club legend status. I think 100+ games' service and multiple premierships earn you club legend status. It's still a decent effort to provide (at least) that level of contribution to another two clubs to get in to this discussion.

I guess it comes down to terminology and how comfortable you are with it. With Pods and Byrnes, I'd absolutely say both were very good club servants, but legends to me is a bit like champion - I reserve it for very, very few.

No.
Being at multiple clubs doesn't equal legend status
So you’re saying Dale Kickett and Adrian Fletcher aren’t legends? :drunk:

You don't have to be a hall of famer to be a club legend, as far as I'm concerned. That's why just being on the list for ten years is enough for life membership at most clubs. Is life member synonomous with 'legend'? I think there's certainly an argument that it is.

Maybe that becomes the criteria then - who has life memberships at 3 clubs?

Maybe that becomes the criteria then - who has life memberships at 3 clubs?
Maybe if everyone's criteria was the same. Marlion Pickett has life membership at Richmond doesn't he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back