Perpetuation of Covid rules

Remove this Banner Ad

cleomenes

Cancelled
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is pretty clear that the desire within the AFL administration is to continue with the rule changes that Covid has imposed on us. Shorter games, wildly different breaks between games accepted as fair, very little daytime football and matches every day of the week all excused by Covid, but really in deference to the TV paymasters is what faces us. How can the football public respond to this to maintain some semblance of the game we follow into the future? I don't have an answer, but I can see myself giving up on the game as it loses its structure. Cricket has prostituted itself to become pointless big bash stuff. I don't watch it any more. Football seems headed the same way.

100% this. Gil is a pure neoliberal. He does everything according to an economic motive. The only way we can respond is by going on strike - not by withdrawing our labour, but by withdrawing our consumption of the product he's flogging. I actually think this will start to happen. Unfortunately by the time that has any effect I think it will be too late. Everyone inside footy is happy for Gil to stay on, because they all financially benefit from his approach, at least in the short term. The game is ****ed imo.

100% this. Gil is a pure neoliberal. He does everything according to an economic motive. The only way we can respond is by going on strike - not by withdrawing our labour, but by withdrawing our consumption of the product he's flogging. I actually think this will start to happen. Unfortunately by the time that has any effect I think it will be too late. Everyone inside footy is happy for Gil to stay on, because they all financially benefit from his approach, at least in the short term. The game is f’ed imo.

Gaaawd I hope for yoursake you are still at uni 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

As predicted, McLaughlin has come out and said that next years games will be played under Covid rules. I doubt that I will watch much of it, if any. The boring, scoreless tacklefest that his (and Dimitriou's) administration has dealt us holds few attractions. Watching supremely skilled players fumble a soapy ball because TV wants night time football is not fun.

It is pretty clear that the desire within the AFL administration is to continue with the rule changes that Covid has imposed on us. Shorter games, wildly different breaks between games accepted as fair, very little daytime football and matches every day of the week all excused by Covid, but really in deference to the TV paymasters is what faces us. How can the football public respond to this to maintain some semblance of the game we follow into the future? I don't have an answer, but I can see myself giving up on the game as it loses its structure. Cricket has prostituted itself to become pointless big bash stuff. I don't watch it any more. Football seems headed the same way.
The only solution for the fans is the one we will never enact, and that's to stop watching games. As long as people keep watching, the AFL can do what it likes to the game.

They could literally change it to a round ball, and if people kept watching it wouldnt change back.

As predicted, McLaughlin has come out and said that next years games will be played under Covid rules. I doubt that I will watch much of it, if any. The boring, scoreless tacklefest that his (and Dimitriou's) administration has dealt us holds few attractions. Watching supremely skilled players fumble a soapy ball because TV wants night time football is not fun.
where has he said this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back