Multiplat Persona 5 - Including Royal and Striker

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright. My 12 year old son has asked to play Persona 5.

I'm not so worried about the language bit there's a few dark themes here. He's the kind of kid who's very level headed and mature.

Most his friends have been playing COD and GTA V for years and he's not gone near them.

What do you think?

I'm not so worried about the language bit there's a few dark themes here. He's the kind of kid who's very level headed and mature.

Most his friends have been playing COD and GTA V for years and he's not gone near them.

What do you think?

There are definitely some mature themes, but I think some of the darker ones might even go somewhat over the head of a 12 year old. The game doesn't trivialise them either so it might even be a great way to generate discusion on those sorts of topics. I don't have kids myself though so that advice may be horrible lol. Japanese culture is very conservative compared to our western one and because of that I do know they changed a bit of dialogue from vanilla P5 to Royal.

What do you think?
Without spoiling major story beats for others, the game does delve into topics such as suicide and sexual assault, while not entirely 'in your face' it does take them more seriously than say, GTA.

Just finished Royal though, clocked in at 125 hours. Final boss of Royal made me feel a kind of way.

Without spoiling major story beats for others, the game does delve into topics such as suicide and sexual assault, while not entirely 'in your face' it does take them more seriously than say, GTA.

Just finished Royal though, clocked in at 125 hours. Final boss of Royal made me feel a kind of way.

How long did the extra semester take you?

I've just finished the 7th palace. Relevant details in spoilers

Just defeated Shido. Currently sitting at 102 hours, I think my original vanilla P5 playthrough only took 85. Not sure where the extra hours are coming from, I guess I must be farming Mementos for longer. Do you think it will be around the 20-25 hours left? I made sure to check the criteria to activate the extra semester so have already maxed out the required confidents.

How long did the extra semester take you?

I've just finished the 7th palace. Relevant details in spoilers

Just defeated Shido. Currently sitting at 102 hours, I think my original vanilla P5 playthrough only took 85. Not sure where the extra hours are coming from, I guess I must be farming Mementos for longer. Do you think it will be around the 20-25 hours left? I made sure to check the criteria to activate the extra semester so have already maxed out the required confidents.
I think I beat Shido around 90 hours but I was very much under leveled and wished I spent more time in Mementos.

Third semester is about 20-25 hours of content? Maybe a lil less but I was playing darts every ******* night haha. Definitely an awesome experience though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are definitely some mature themes, but I think some of the darker ones might even go somewhat over the head of a 12 year old. The game doesn't trivialise them either so it might even be a great way to generate discusion on those sorts of topics. I don't have kids myself though so that advice may be horrible lol. Japanese culture is very conservative compared to our western one and because of that I do know they changed a bit of dialogue from vanilla P5 to Royal.

Thanks for the opinions :thumbsu:

I ended up letting him play it. I've played P5 and that's what he's playing as well. We've had a chat about suicide and a bit about how some men treat women so hey let's chalk it up ans something educational.

Turns out his mates at school have either played it or watched the entire game on youtube.

Finally finished. 130 hours. I love how it actually feels like I just spent a year with these guys. Easy platinum too which was nice.

My spoiler free thoughts and comparison from P5 vanilla:

- New stuff was refreshing, but by the end maybe not enough of it.
- Ending not as good imo.
- new semester was heavily curated and made it all feel a bit bloated.
- bummed that you can no longer farm the Reaper on flu days but I guess getting to 99 is easier than ever.

Spoiler stuff
The reveal about Sumire was brilliant. I never saw that coming. I liked Maruki and even as a villain I thought he was well written. The only thing I thought felt cheap was him driving the cab at the end.

Finally finished. 130 hours. I love how it actually feels like I just spent a year with these guys. Easy platinum too which was nice.

My spoiler free thoughts and comparison from P5 vanilla:

- New stuff was refreshing, but by the end maybe not enough of it.
- Ending not as good imo.
- new semester was heavily curated and made it all feel a bit bloated.
- bummed that you can no longer farm the Reaper on flu days but I guess getting to 99 is easier than ever.

Spoiler stuff
The reveal about Sumire was brilliant. I never saw that coming. I liked Maruki and even as a villain I thought he was well written. The only thing I thought felt cheap was him driving the cab at the end.
He went from guiding people from where he wants them to go to where they want to go
Ironic ;)

Just finished the game, wow

I am not normally one to fanboy over games, but this game is special. Been a long time since I've felt so much heart and soul coming out of a game, this is something more, what a true masterpiece.

I don't even play weeb games if I can help it, but the way this game married charm and style, with wonderful narrative writing and socio-commentary along with life lessons and messages along the way, it's unlike any game I've played before.

I got real emotional at the way they ended it, that's how you end a game, plug at my nostalgia of spending 185 hours in your world, and every little detail. Let me say proper farewell to everyone, from the NPC to the shops to the wonderful cast

Probably most loveable cast of characters I've played in a game

Damn, I'm so sad it ended. Now I just wanna spend more time with this gang of lads. Can't wait for P5 Scramble to get a western release

I am not normally one to fanboy over games, but this game is special. Been a long time since I've felt so much heart and soul coming out of a game, this is something more, what a true masterpiece.

I don't even play weeb games if I can help it, but the way this game married charm and style, with wonderful narrative writing and socio-commentary along with life lessons and messages along the way, it's unlike any game I've played before.

I got real emotional at the way they ended it, that's how you end a game, plug at my nostalgia of spending 185 hours in your world, and every little detail. Let me say proper farewell to everyone, from the NPC to the shops to the wonderful cast

Damn, I'm so sad it ended. Now I just wanna spend more time with this gang of lads. Can't wait for P5 Scramble to get a western release
I am in the exact same boat and my biggest recommendation while you are waiting for Scramble like me, is to grab P4 Golden on steam.

The game actually made me feel like I was in high school again and they were my friends.

I am in the exact same boat and my biggest recommendation while you are waiting for Scramble like me, is to grab P4 Golden on steam.

I wanna start P4G at some stage but I'm still processing this playthrough, what a feeling it is. I'm rewatching some clips on youtube and that feeling of nostalgia is hitting me already. This game really knows how to get you in the feels

Never a rhythm game man but I'm gonna give Dancing in Starlight a go just to spend more time with the crew

The game actually made me feel like I was in high school again and they were my friends.

I know, right? The characters feel as real as a video game character can be, they could be anyone we know, yet they are still so likeable

They also make it feel like we really did spend an entire year with them, which is why complaints about the length of the game is kinda weird: it's kinda the point, this game's a commitment to building a real bond with the story and characters. It's amazing they make 150 hours feel like a year to me, tbh

As someone who’s done 3 & 4 this year and is currently doing 5, you’re making the right call taking a break. As you might assume they’re similar games in how they’re laid out and in the stories they tell, the characters you meet etc. Good idea to have some breathing space In between.

As good as 5 is, must admit it’s been a bit of a slog so far, just a bit too much of a good thing. Also 4 is my favourite, so playing another game that is similar but not quite as good hurts it.

Still, curious to hear how you find 4 having played 5 first, whether you prefer 5’s story.

You’re right, especially with being able to check the available social links with a press of a button. Can Imagine it being hard to go back to checking all the locations (or remembering which day everyone is available).

Don’t mind admitting this - I look up a walkthrough for all the test answers too so appreciate P5 effectively letting you cheat there too!

Maybe it just comes down to which circle of friends you prefer? I reckon 4 has the best, but maybe that’s just because it was the first I completed.

As someone who’s done 3 & 4 this year and is currently doing 5, you’re making the right call taking a break. As you might assume they’re similar games in how they’re laid out and in the stories they tell, the characters you meet etc. Good idea to have some breathing space In between.

As good as 5 is, must admit it’s been a bit of a slog so far, just a bit too much of a good thing. Also 4 is my favourite, so playing another game that is similar but not quite as good hurts it.

Still, curious to hear how you find 4 having played 5 first, whether you prefer 5’s story.

I'm gonna dive in 4 very soon, will let you know. I know absolutely nothing about it, which is probably a good thing. Memes sorta spoiled a bit of P5 for me but didn't take away from the experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Back