Perspective and Balance.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been a Collingwood member for 25 years. I’m 42, I love Collingwood. If I was told back in March that we’d be 2 games clear on top of the ladder I’d take it hands down. We all would. 100%.

Given the high standards, 2 losses in a row and how we lost yesterday has supporters up in arms. Some have balance in their view while a lot just don’t. The hate on Daicos more broadly is the sad reality of where society is at.

A balanced constructive view:

- our defenders have been aggressively pushing high up the ground all year. We’ve now been caught out in the last two weeks. Carlton and Hawthorn have pressed high and aggressively. The pressure creates turn overs and we get caught out.

- kick outs from Defense are simply not working, the long kick down the line is a repeatable tactic I’d say because we are backing ourselves to win the stoppage clearance if we can’t mark it. Our mids arn’t winning it so it’s a repeat entry for the opposition.

- yesterday kicks were falling short, players are turning it over and it looks like our pressure is off.

- as great as Daicos is, a 20 year old can’t be Collingwood’s ace in the hole, there’s an opportunity for someone else to step into that midfield and create a contest.

There’s plenty of time for Collingwood to turn it around with 3 games left before finals footy. We’d want to win 2 out of the last 3 to get some momentum.
With due respect, you weren't around for 1970, 76, 77, 79 or 80. These things scar. Those of us that bear said scars have every right to go troppo at a single loss. Two losses, one to Carlton, is good ground for heads to roll. The sky is falling, you just don't recognise it.

On the other hand, what an amazing twelve or so months. From a mess of a club and a team that needed totally rebuilding we have risen to be the most entertaining and best AFL side. We could win a gf, so could a few other clubs. I, for one, needed my expectations lowered. Nothing like a bit of hunger to wet your appetite.

Its never as good as it looks, or as bad as it seems.

I think this is where we are as a club. We are 2 games clear on top of the ladder and seem destined to finish in the top 2 at least, which will position with a real prospect of making it preliminary final weekend - anything is possible from there.

Have we got some issues? Of course, but so have Melbourne, Brisbane, and Port (all of whom are our most likely contenders) We have had a magnificent season, but some poor games along the way, and yes we have relied on last quarter bursts to get some wins.

Naicos being out provides a silver lining - opportunity for McCreery, McInnes, Krueger, Bianco et al to make a late season impact.

I haven't lost the faith - seen enough footy over my lifetime to understand there is ebb and flow across the year. We are in a great position to have a big impact when it matters - September.

GO PIES - Floreat Pica

Remove this Banner Ad

Back