Analysis Perspective

Remove this Banner Ad

JimmySwan

Team Captain
Jul 8, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep. So the typical media throng have come out and started their rubbish about our club, how we're finished, how we're too old, how we're gonna fall off the canvas blah blah blah.

I've heard this that many times over the years about this club, it's quite frankly hilarious.

I am not worried one bit about our club.

We need perspective please...

Mills, Naismith, Reid, Rohan, McVeigh, Jack, Hannebery all out of the team on Friday.

Reid, Mills, McVeigh are massive outs.

I know Hannebery, Jack and Rohan have all had very poor years; which is why the changing of the guard will happen this year and next year.

Ronke, McCartin, Florent, O'Riordan, Hayward, Papley, Dawson all very young in comparison to Essendon's side on Friday.

Next year we will be back. This year is probably a write off given all the circumstances but I am not worried at all moving forward.

Another year into Heeney, Papley, Hayward, Ronke, Florent, O'Riordan, Mills (fit), McCartin.

Buddy has trained 20 minutes this year, as Longmire alluded to in his press conference.

Next year we will see a swans outfit firing on all cylinders.

Please everyone take a breather and look at our future, blokes playing fit next year and we will see the swans back in force.

Nothing to worry about :)

Im concerned how we breakdown year by year we are 1-5 since the bye could of been 0-6 so same as the 2017 start but this time its happened during the middle of 2018.

Im also concerned about the goalless quarters which should not happen regardless who is out there, but yes i imagine Longmire will get a reprieve due to inexperience and injuries but they are genuine concerns going forward.

But i agree with have a promising dozen or so players to build around.

Yep. So the typical media throng have come out and started their rubbish about our club, how we're finished, how we're too old, how we're gonna fall off the canvas blah blah blah.

I've heard this that many times over the years about this club, it's quite frankly hilarious.

Mills, Naismith, Reid, Rohan, McVeigh, Jack, Hannebery all out of the team on Friday.

I know Hannebery, Jack and Rohan have all had very poor years; which is why the changing of the guard will happen this year and next year.

Ronke, McCartin, Florent, O'Riordan, Hayward, Papley, Dawson all very young in comparison to Essendon's side on Friday.

Next year we will be back. This year is probably a write off given all the circumstances but I am not worried at all moving forward.

Another year into Heeney, Papley, Hayward, Ronke, Florent, O'Riordan, Mills (fit), McCartin.

Buddy has trained 20 minutes this year, as Longmire alluded to in his press conference.

Please everyone take a breather and look at our future, blokes playing fit next year and we will see the swans back in force.

Great post. What we have to realise is that eventually the always playing in finals bubble has burst! We are in a re-building phase, that allways had to happen.
I am not Horses biggest fan by any means, but he has at least realised that by playing the youngsters, it gives us an idea of where we are at going forward!
Their is also a hard decision on a cull of older players. We all know who is in the frame. Every club does it and its hard and sad, but Afl football is a businesss nowadays.

I think the biggest thing I agree with is that core of kids for the future

Drafts have been good

I think it also means we can trade experience iN too

Doesn’t have to be stars, just Shaw matter laidler McGlynn types or roll the dice on a future Kennedy

I think the club has also built a strong expectation of success so I don’t think they will accept being down for long and will work hard to change

Drafts have been good

Doesn’t have to be stars, just Shaw matter laidler McGlynn types or roll the dice on a future Kennedy

I think the club has also built a strong expectation of success so I don’t think they will accept being down for long and will work hard to change
Yes, this is what I’ve said previously...we’ve gone away from this! This is a reason why I like Miles, Kolodjashni, Hunt, etc. This isn’t Beatson, this is Longmire!

I am most excited to see a fully fit Mellican and Allir combination going forward

Thats a good pairing to build the defence around

Jones needs to curb his enthusiasm but he can run with them, maybe we add a Moore or whoever back there as well

Nice to be positive but I don't agree with the 'nothing to worry about' comment. These are some of the worrying facets that concern both commentators and fans at the moment;

1. Any coach that lets a player play in the AFL without training and getting his body right is; a) A Drongo, b) asking for that player to get injured and the hit he took on Friday night nearly killed him because he is not fit, c) Should not be allowed to coach tiddlywinks let alone an AFL side as this is breach of Duty of Care. I am incredibly angry that the most valuable player in the AFL's career, is being risked by a negligent coach.

2. The players seem unfit. They don't last games out and give up the chase when the game is at it's most intense. It is obvious they want to chase but are incapable because they are winded. This is the problem with having an ex NRL Fitness coach. They do not understand the levels of aerobic fitness needed at AFL level. Last year we simply blasted teams off the park in the first three quarters and hung on as we did not play games out. This year we play games out but have big patches where we allow opponents back into the game as we rest due to fatigue.

3. If you listen to most of the good commentators on the game they are saying our game plan is old. Very old and predictable. They are right. The other thing is if you constantly go around the flanks you are eventually going to be opened up in the middle as the opposition push you wider and wider. This has happened all season. Kicking down the line to the non existent big men, only one exists that might take a mark on each side of the ground, is just plain stupid. Buddy is not the get out of gaol marking player Longmire seems to think he is. He is a lead and mark player or ground ball player. Playing negatively at stoppages, all players defending the defensive side, is just plain stupid as the game has moved on. Allowing huge amounts of time in the defensive half takes it's toll on the backline and that toll is starting to tell. It can only get worse.

4. Playing any injured players is just plain Drongo thinking. In the business of AFL the players ar the commodities and you should protect your commodities or they will decrease in value to the corporation that is the Swans. In other words if players have long periods out due to mismanagement it is normally followed by the sacking of the people who devalued the commodity.

5. Do we have the players to play a game plan that players like Pebbles, Goodsie, LRT, Mummy, Jude, Kirkie, Hally etc played? I don't think we do. These new boys play a different style of footy. They are highly skilled, not as built as their predecessors and think differently as they have been raised on the modern game, which we don't play. They get to the swans and within two years their skill level starts to go south. This is because we only train in skills work two days a week. Every other club does three skills sessions per week. Longmire is out of touch with the modern game.

Unlike you I am not positive about our prospects no matter who is playing. That is because our players are on a hiding to nothing due to an old and predictable game plan, lack of aerobic fitness, and low skill levels due to not doing enough skills work during the week. I think we will continue to fall until the coach and the fitness coach depart. We need a coach with a great deal of knowledge of how to play the modern game.

Nice to be positive but I don't agree with the 'nothing to worry about' comment. These are some of the worrying facets that concern both commentators and fans at the moment;

1. Any coach that lets a player play in the AFL without training and getting his body right is; a) A Drongo, b) asking for that player to get injured and the hit he took on Friday night nearly killed him because he is not fit, c) Should not be allowed to coach tiddlywinks let alone an AFL side as this is breach of Duty of Care. I am incredibly angry that the most valuable player in the AFL's career, is being risked by a negligent coach.

2. The players seem unfit. They don't last games out and give up the chase when the game is at it's most intense. It is obvious they want to chase but are incapable because they are winded. This is the problem with having an ex NRL Fitness coach. They do not understand the levels of aerobic fitness needed at AFL level. Last year we simply blasted teams off the park in the first three quarters and hung on as we did not play games out. This year we play games out but have big patches where we allow opponents back into the game as we rest due to fatigue.

3. If you listen to most of the good commentators on the game they are saying our game plan is old. Very old and predictable. They are right. The other thing is if you constantly go around the flanks you are eventually going to be opened up in the middle as the opposition push you wider and wider. This has happened all season. Kicking down the line to the non existent big men, only one exists that might take a mark on each side of the ground, is just plain stupid. Buddy is not the get out of gaol marking player Longmire seems to think he is. He is a lead and mark player or ground ball player. Playing negatively at stoppages, all players defending the defensive side, is just plain stupid as the game has moved on. Allowing huge amounts of time in the defensive half takes it's toll on the backline and that toll is starting to tell. It can only get worse.

4. Playing any injured players is just plain Drongo thinking. In the business of AFL the players ar the commodities and you should protect your commodities or they will decrease in value to the corporation that is the Swans. In other words if players have long periods out due to mismanagement it is normally followed by the sacking of the people who devalued the commodity.

5. Do we have the players to play a game plan that players like Pebbles, Goodsie, LRT, Mummy, Jude, Kirkie, Hally etc played? I don't think we do. These new boys play a different style of footy. They are highly skilled, not as built as their predecessors and think differently as they have been raised on the modern game, which we don't play. They get to the swans and within two years their skill level starts to go south. This is because we only train in skills work two days a week. Every other club does three skills sessions per week. Longmire is out of touch with the modern game.

Unlike you I am not positive about our prospects no matter who is playing. That is because our players are on a hiding to nothing due to an old and predictable game plan, lack of aerobic fitness, and low skill levels due to not doing enough skills work during the week. I think we will continue to fall until the coach and the fitness coach depart. We need a coach with a great deal of knowledge of how to play the modern game.

I didnt want to turn the thread to the tone of others because it is not a popular move, but great post

The one i did want to highlight is point 1, I still cannot get my head around the risk, especially when you consider the contract and the implications of not seeing out that contract

Yep - good post/points

Perspective is we've been crippled by injury this year to senior players.

The players that covered the cracks earlier in the year like Florent and Hayward are second year players who were always going to run out of steam.

They reckon Ling is ready. They reckon Blakey is ready. Another pre season into Florent, Hayward, and Ronke.

Teach McCartin to kick.

Dawson gets a decent run at it.

2019 will be huge. They'll be looking at us going "Where the * did THAT come from????"

I gotta say I think the media's been pretty fair in their handling of it. We have ultimately won one flag, same as the Bulldogs and Richmond in that time, yet they're talking about how our moderate slide down the ladder as if it's the mourning of a great champion team, which we should take as a massive compliment really because it shows how highly respected and rated we've been over the last several years.

To be honest I think it took us by surprise and blindsided us this decline. In 2016, we'd come off the back of two grand final appearances, we had a raft of All Australians, we'd brought in so many talented kids (including the much-hyped Heeney and Mills) who we just assumed would join the brigade of Swans stars like Hannebery, Kennedy, Jack, McVeigh, Rampe, Buddy etc.) and so we just figured we'd be in contention for years to come. I remember in 2016 not being too concerned because I felt we had a few more years at the very least to still be contending for flags.

But a lot has inexplicably happened in the last two years. We had an 0-6 start to 2017 where we just couldn't get in control of games. The form of players like Parker and Sir Dane and has fallen off (and I love him but we gotta be honest here), father time has smacked Jack in the chops, Hanners has become a shadow of his former self, Reid is STILL incapable of getting on the park, Heeney is not yet the superstar some maybe expected him to be (I was not one of them though), and our coach is running an all-time great player into the ground. So with all of this experience suddenly not the All Australian-level it once was, and the young kids being asked to do too much, we're in this awkward limbo where our best can still be very good, but it just won't happen anywhere near enough.

But I'm also not alarmed because things need to change and an underwhelming season may bring it. I think our list management were too delayed in their response to our lack of speed and polish. Now we have a lot of speed and polish but no inside grunt to win it for them. We needed players like Florent and Ronke two or three or four years ago when we had inside beasts galore. But we've made our bed and now we need to lie in it. We have an awesome bunch of youngsters, IMO up there with the best in the comp. Let's find a way to make the best out of this bunch. Play footy in a way where our fleet-footed players have time and space to use their strengths, give Buddy the rest of the year off (we are better without him people!!!), use this run of tough games coming up to see what we can do if we match them at their own games. Collingwood, Melbourne and GWS particularly are quick and skilful and take the game on. We'll probably fail more than we'll succeed if we try to emulate them, but at least it will give the Swans youngsters a blueprint for what we can strive towards next year and beyond. Who knows, we might catch those sides off guard with a different brand of footy and we might even get a win or two to help us make the finals anyway!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree with the bolded more.

I was trying to be diplomatic but if this isn't one of the great posts of the year! (Even if I wish it weren't true.)

I gotta say I think the media's been pretty fair in their handling of it. We have ultimately won one flag, same as the Bulldogs and Richmond in that time, yet they're talking about how our moderate slide down the ladder as if it's the mourning of a great champion team, which we should take as a massive compliment really because it shows how highly respected and rated we've been over the last several years.

To be honest I think it took us by surprise and blindsided us this decline. In 2016, we'd come off the back of two grand final appearances, we had a raft of All Australians, we'd brought in so many talented kids (including the much-hyped Heeney and Mills) who we just assumed would join the brigade of Swans stars like Hannebery, Kennedy, Jack, McVeigh, Rampe, Buddy etc.) and so we just figured we'd be in contention for years to come. I remember in 2016 not being too concerned because I felt we had a few more years at the very least to still be contending for flags.

But a lot has inexplicably happened in the last two years. We had an 0-6 start to 2017 where we just couldn't get in control of games. The form of players like Parker and Sir Dane and has fallen off (and I love him but we gotta be honest here), father time has smacked Jack in the chops, Hanners has become a shadow of his former self, Reid is STILL incapable of getting on the park, Heeney is not yet the superstar some maybe expected him to be (I was not one of them though), and our coach is running an all-time great player into the ground. So with all of this experience suddenly not the All Australian-level it once was, and the young kids being asked to do too much, we're in this awkward limbo where our best can still be very good, but it just won't happen anywhere near enough.

But I'm also not alarmed because things need to change and an underwhelming season may bring it. I think our list management were too delayed in their response to our lack of speed and polish. Now we have a lot of speed and polish but no inside grunt to win it for them. We needed players like Florent and Ronke two or three or four years ago when we had inside beasts galore. But we've made our bed and now we need to lie in it. We have an awesome bunch of youngsters, IMO up there with the best in the comp. Let's find a way to make the best out of this bunch. Play footy in a way where our fleet-footed players have time and space to use their strengths, give Buddy the rest of the year off (we are better without him people!!!), use this run of tough games coming up to see what we can do if we match them at their own games. Collingwood, Melbourne and GWS particularly are quick and skilful and take the game on. We'll probably fail more than we'll succeed if we try to emulate them, but at least it will give the Swans youngsters a blueprint for what we can strive towards next year and beyond. Who knows, we might catch those sides off guard with a different brand of footy and we might even get a win or two to help us make the finals anyway!

So........in summary........give up.

How on earth did you get that from my post?

I said Horse should just loosen the shackles and go for broke. Instead of continually trying to get this team in a limbo state to be the dominant contested force he's so used to coaching over the years, he should just let this team play more open, take the riskier options every time they present themselves, try and attack at all costs. It would catch sides like GWS and Collingwood and Melbourne by surprise and maybe even beat them at their own games (depending on how well we execute it.)

It's a win/win really because it means we either have a few surprise victories against tough teams and make the finals again, if narrowly. Or we lose playing attacking footy because it's not the way we're used to, but at least we'd give the younger blokes a blueprint to build towards in 2019.

But all I know is continue to try playing the slow and conservative way we are playing currently and we will just be opened up each week for the next four weeks, and will have given ourselves no chance of ending the season with something to take forward.

The players that covered the cracks earlier in the year like Florent and Hayward are second year players who were always going to run out of steam.

They reckon Ling is ready. They reckon Blakey is ready. Another pre season into Florent, Hayward, and Ronke.

Teach McCartin to kick.

2019 will be huge. They'll be looking at us going "Where the **** did THAT come from????"

How can they think Ling is ready.... barely played at all this year so we really don't know much about him at all (I mean in terms of his ability to make it at AFL level). Looked a very good player at junior levels, but we know just how big the jump from that to AFL level is.

Drafts have been good

We really could use 3 of 4 players, even mid tier players, but with experience as you say. How we could use finding a Shaw and Mattner style players in the recycled bin - i.e. someone that can break the line in terms of the Shaw like player, but with better decision making than Zak Jones (Not that Shaw had great decision making) and a player like Mattner that is all effort and has a nice booming kick.

Teach McCartin to kick.

2019 will be huge. They'll be looking at us going "Where the **** did THAT come from????"

I agree the talent is all there Bruce and the boys will get better. But you still have to have the game plan to back that talent. atr the moment we just don't have it.

I realise these things are a bit subjective but there are objective objections as well. For instance our inside 50 deficit, our clearances deficit, scores deficit, lack of corridor usage which is problem because it is the fastest way home and you don't tend to get opened up that way but you do if you use the flanks and they force you wider and wider.

The fact the four of Longmires best mates, Wayne Carey, David King, Paul Roos and Jude Bolton, have pointed to problems with the game plan being not in tune with the modern game as troubling, is disturbing. The fact that nobody now sees Sydney as a threat because our old, energy sapping game plan is so easily identified and combated. The way we were opened up by Essendon is not just worrying, it has been the disaster waiting to happen all year, as most stats have shown us South on the ledger rather than North.

To be huge in 2019 the coaches will have to come up with something completely new. They have been chasing their tails for several seasons now and relying on the old strategies which are now obvious. I know there have been times this season that we have used different strategies that worked very well. But I got the feeling it was the other coaches battling Longmire to even get them used. There was one shot after a great come from behind win that said it all. Even though we won and the other coaches were elated, John Longmire was sour faced. To have the talent is only one facet of what gets a teams to success. The strategies to utilise that talent have to be compatible with the talent, a symbiosis if you will.

I too believe Dawson is important and giving him games now to get him used to the pace of AFL is imperative. I also think that next year Amarty, Ling (cut down with injury this year), Stoddart, Styles, Blakey etc will also be important.

We need to also look at moving on players who don't fit into the new vision, who are injury prone or just don't cut it. The really hard decisions have to be made on some of our favourite players. For instance, Hannaberry, Jack and Reid would have to be looked at as injury prone now. Rohan, Towers, Robinson should be looked at for lack of output. Pink, who I was impressed with for such a low rookie pick, just doesn't seem to be able to get on the park. Brown has shown a bit but is maybe a little lacking in the skills department. He may develop but he might not either and we already have one player who is developing his skills, in Foote (his disposal his improved immensely).

It might not be a bad thing to drop out of the eight this year. If we drop to about 10th we get picks 8, 26, 44, 62, 80, 98, 116. In the Rookie draft the same. If we offloaded some older players in the trade period we could make our situation a little better. For instance I'm sure another club would look at Hannaberry as long as his medical report is one that can see him take the park after medical intervention. We can't wait for that but possibly suns etc certainly can. McVeigh might continue at Sydney as a coach or might end up at the Suns on a twilight contract. Reid could be shopped out but his contract is for three years and that is a problem as I don't think any club would pay that out. We might be able to get one year paid out to move him on. Again it would depend on the medical report. Towers. Robinson etc don't have much value but we could put them in a package with Hannaberry or Reid for an earlier pick in the draft. We need to draft as we are building a young team. Used players, unless they are stars which we can't afford, are not going to cut it. Forget Darcy Moore, on recent form he won't be going anywhere, as Buckley will want to keep him.

This draft is probably the best draft since theGWS and Suns were invented. Potentially it is the best draft ever and the talent is very deep. So even up to a club's fourth or fifth pick the talent could still be very strong. The Swans have a good record of picking good late picks and rookies so I would concentrate on the draft to stack our team full of high end talent not trades.

Perspective?

Our club nearly folded after being kicked out of our home. We've been constantly attacked & critised because of our success. Hit with trade bans despite not breaking any rules? The disgusting targetted attack of AdamGoodes? Why? .... We were meant to be shipped up to Sydney to die and didn't.

We never said die. We never gave up. Guys like Kels & Kirky gave their everything to fight to the bitter end. Every. Single. Game.

Perspective = If it wasn't for the heart & soul type players, coaches, admin & fans of our great club then we could still have a premiership drought & be fighting for wooden spoons... or might not have been here at all.

That is perspective.

A few poor games can GAGF. I reckon we support the best damn club there has been & am backing us in like I have for the past 30 odd years. Let's get behind the boys when they need us. Go to the game & barrack loud. Wear the red & white proudly guys.

C'MON YOU BLOODS!!

I don't think he is saying that Bruce. If you read carefully he is saying that maybe this year is a write off but next is a different proposition as the draft presents us with some really good opportunities to get the balance back. We WILL decline this year, that is inevitable. We just don't have what it takes to play finals this year and our run home is a disaster waiting to happen.

Caesar talks about taking the game on and maybe shocking a few opponents and getting a couple of wins we shouldn't have gotten. I agree. We have to play with flair not stodginess and old crappy defensive game plan. If we get blown out of the park, so be it, but at least we would be trying something new that can develop next season.

Perspective?

Our club nearly folded after being kicked out of our home. We've been constantly attacked & critised because of our success. Hit with trade bans despite not breaking any rules? The disgusting targetted attack of AdamGoodes? Why? .... We were meant to be shipped up to Sydney to die and didn't.

We never said die. We never gave up. Guys like Kels & Kirky gave their everything to fight to the bitter end. Every. Single. Game.

Perspective = If it wasn't for the heart & soul type players, coaches, admin & fans of our great club then we could still have a premiership drought & be fighting for wooden spoons... or might not have been here at all.

That is perspective.

A few poor games can GAGF. I reckon we support the best damn club there has been & am backing us in like I have for the past 30 odd years. Let's get behind the boys when they need us. Go to the game & barrack loud. Wear the red & white proudly guys.

C'MON YOU BLOODS!!

and red and white is a nice combo,

imagine wearing poo and wee around

I don't think he is saying that Bruce. If you read carefully he is saying that maybe this year is a write off but next is a different proposition as the draft presents us with some really good opportunities to get the balance back. We WILL decline this year, that is inevitable. We just don't have what it takes to play finals this year and our run home is a disaster waiting to happen.

Caesar talks about taking the game on and maybe shocking a few opponents and getting a couple of wins we shouldn't have gotten. I agree. We have to play with flair not stodginess and old crappy defensive game plan. If we get blown out of the park, so be it, but at least we would be trying something new that can develop next season.

We "took the game on" against Gold Coast. It's a recipe for some exciting wins and some disastrous losses.

I agree the talent is all there Bruce and the boys will get better. But you still have to have the game plan to back that talent. atr the moment we just don't have it.

I realise these things are a bit subjective but there are objective objections as well. For instance our inside 50 deficit, our clearances deficit, scores deficit, lack of corridor usage which is problem because it is the fastest way home and you don't tend to get opened up that way but you do if you use the flanks and they force you wider and wider.

The fact the four of Longmires best mates, Wayne Carey, David King, Paul Roos and Jude Bolton, have pointed to problems with the game plan being not in tune with the modern game as troubling, is disturbing. The fact that nobody now sees Sydney as a threat because our old, energy sapping game plan is so easily identified and combated. The way we were opened up by Essendon is not just worrying, it has been the disaster waiting to happen all year, as most stats have shown us South on the ledger rather than North.

To be huge in 2019 the coaches will have to come up with something completely new. They have been chasing their tails for several seasons now and relying on the old strategies which are now obvious. I know there have been times this season that we have used different strategies that worked very well. But I got the feeling it was the other coaches battling Longmire to even get them used. There was one shot after a great come from behind win that said it all. Even though we won and the other coaches were elated, John Longmire was sour faced. To have the talent is only one facet of what gets a teams to success. The strategies to utilise that talent have to be compatible with the talent, a symbiosis if you will.

I too believe Dawson is important and giving him games now to get him used to the pace of AFL is imperative. I also think that next year Amarty, Ling (cut down with injury this year), Stoddart, Styles, Blakey etc will also be important.

We need to also look at moving on players who don't fit into the new vision, who are injury prone or just don't cut it. The really hard decisions have to be made on some of our favourite players. For instance, Hannaberry, Jack and Reid would have to be looked at as injury prone now. Rohan, Towers, Robinson should be looked at for lack of output. Pink, who I was impressed with for such a low rookie pick, just doesn't seem to be able to get on the park. Brown has shown a bit but is maybe a little lacking in the skills department. He may develop but he might not either and we already have one player who is developing his skills, in Foote (his disposal his improved immensely).

It might not be a bad thing to drop out of the eight this year. If we drop to about 10th we get picks 8, 26, 44, 62, 80, 98, 116. In the Rookie draft the same. If we offloaded some older players in the trade period we could make our situation a little better. For instance I'm sure another club would look at Hannaberry as long as his medical report is one that can see him take the park after medical intervention. We can't wait for that but possibly suns etc certainly can. McVeigh might continue at Sydney as a coach or might end up at the Suns on a twilight contract. Reid could be shopped out but his contract is for three years and that is a problem as I don't think any club would pay that out. We might be able to get one year paid out to move him on. Again it would depend on the medical report. Towers. Robinson etc don't have much value but we could put them in a package with Hannaberry or Reid for an earlier pick in the draft. We need to draft as we are building a young team. Used players, unless they are stars which we can't afford, are not going to cut it. Forget Darcy Moore, on recent form he won't be going anywhere, as Buckley will want to keep him.

This draft is probably the best draft since theGWS and Suns were invented. Potentially it is the best draft ever and the talent is very deep. So even up to a club's fourth or fifth pick the talent could still be very strong. The Swans have a good record of picking good late picks and rookies so I would concentrate on the draft to stack our team full of high end talent not trades.

I agree with virtually all of this as you have hit the nail on the head again. Unfortunately I just don't think the club is prepared to part with so many of the players that have been then nucleus of the Bloods 2.0 era. That includes Jack, Hanners, Rohan and Reid, as well as guys like Robinson and Towers who are in a way typical of the Bloods way of playing footy. I mean in the coaches box alone we have Horse & Blakey, who have been at the Swans for years, you have Shaw and Kirk who both played the Bloods way. I think in general there's a sense of being stuck in the past that we have to get out of but I just can't see it happening.

I think they genuinely think there's no need to panic as they think the 5 or so years of success will prevail. I hope that's not the case as I'd rather the club be pro-active in avoiding a bottoming out like Fremantle did when they were too delayed to realise change needed to come. We have some talented minds in the coaches box and all they have to do is get a little creative, and we could essentially have rebuilt without the bottoming out phase as we already have the young talent ready to go. They just need a direction to go in!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back