Toast Perth Demons 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

4 points the difference at 3/4 time in the Mighty Royals favour with Perth kicking to the city end with a strong breeze. Rain came but EP kicked 2.6 to Perth's 3.2. That's 3 more scoring shots against the breeze ..... also in the rain. EP held on to win by 2 points and had 7 more scoring shots on the day. Perth basically kept in the game by Bosustow who kicked 7 of their 12 goals. Probably the only Perth player who won his position on the day. Suck it!!

I seem to remember big Brad Smith, the Boyanup Boy, being a big stumbling block to Perth in that last quarter deluge. Hopefully, my memory serves me well.
As a kid, I played against his Boyanup team. He played at FF and killed us every game; he was a monster even then. 😊

I seem to remember big Brad Smith, the Boyanup Boy, being a big stumbling block to Perth in that last quarter deluge. Hopefully, my memory serves me well.
As a kid, I played against his Boyanup team. He played at FF and killed us every game; he was a monster even then. 😊
Yep, took a 4m sliding mark in the goal square to save the game with about a minute to go.
Brad was a huge country boy. Remember him having both legs in plaster up to his hips after he snapped both Achilles' tendons. Came back from that to play again not only for the Mighties but also North Melbourne before coming back to us to help win in '78.

Thread title is Perth Demons 2022 (should be 23 no?), not East Perth Royals 1978 MFers.

Lets get back on topic and discuss how the prodical son returning from the depths of Richmond to lead the mighty Dees to a famous drought breaking flag this year huh?

Footnote- I was born in '78 and my late great dad lumped me with this lifelong disappointment of being a Dees supporter.

Thread title is Perth Demons 2022 (should be 23 no?), not East Perth Royals 1978 MFers.

Lets get back on topic and discuss how the prodical son returning from the depths of Richmond to lead the mighty Dees to a famous drought breaking flag this year huh?

Footnote- I was born in '78 and my late great dad lumped me with this lifelong disappointment of being a Dees supporter.
I was born earlier and near the Claremont area, also inherited the Demons from my late farther but have never been disappointed about it..😀

Fair chance he will be lining up for the Acacia A...holes rather than the Redlegs.

Played with Alan Johnson at south Perth for a short time the Demons snuck him into there zone so they could pick him up. We still couldnt beat manning they had the likes of Brian Peake & co. They need to do the same and sneak a few more players with potential into there zones.

Played with Alan Johnson at south Perth for a short time the Demons snuck him into there zone so they could pick him up. We still couldnt beat manning they had the likes of Brian Peake & co. They need to do the same and sneak a few more players with potential into there zones.
He's the new sports psych at the club, FWIW.

alan-johnson-good-loser.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was always in awe of Murray Coupler as a young fella after dad told me he had a metal plate in his head!
Can't remember the story of how he got it.
Murray Coupler (when did he play?) or Murray Couper.

In the single (later two) umpire, no camera days Couper was the dirtiest player in the competition. Used to wait for the umpire to be facing away or working up the field and he'd start kicking ankles, pinching, elbowing, anything really.

Edited to correctly spell Couper (from Cooper).
Thanks F83150 - we were thinking of the same guy.

Last edited:
Murray Coupler (when did he play?) or Murray Cooper.

In the single (later two) umpire, no camera days Cooper was the dirtiest player in the competition. Used to wait for the umpire to be facing away or working up the field and he'd start kicking ankles, pinching, elbowing, anything really.
No, I'm talking about Murray Couper.
A player in the 70s who payed beyond the rules.... who'd have thought 😲

I was always in awe of Murray Coupler as a young fella after dad told me he had a metal plate in his head!
Can't remember the story of how he got it.
It's Couper. Finished his career with, dare I say it, the Mighty Royals! A lot of his fellow players at Perth reckon he had had the best skills of any player from the 70's era. Dead eye dick and could kick, almost equally as good, with either foot.
The story I heard about his facial injuries was that they were a result of exploding ordinance in Viet Nam.
Don't recall him being particularly dirty.....

It's Couper. Finished his career with, dare I say it, the Mighty Royals! A lot of his fellow players at Perth reckon he had had the best skills of any player from the 70's era. Dead eye dick and could kick, almost equally as good, with either foot.
The story I heard about his facial injuries was that they were a result of exploding ordinance in Viet Nam.
Don't recall him being particularly dirty.....
Yeah I know, the l was a finger fk😉
He finished his career with the filthy sharks actually! (went there after a yr at the royals)
Yeah the Vietnam comment rings a bell.
They all bent the rules and Couper had a temper but same, I don't recall he being much worse that the rest.
Another real shame was Wayne Simms knee injury...the guy was an absolute gun in the ruck.

Yeah I know, the l was a finger fk😉
He finished his career with the filthy sharks actually! (went there after a yr at the royals)
Yeah the Vietnam comment rings a bell.
They all bent the rules and Couper had a temper but same, I don't recall he being much worse that the rest.
Another real shame was Wayne Simms knee injury...the guy was an absolute gun in the ruck.
Didn't know he went to Old Easts.......couldn't have played many games there as he was pretty well fkd at the Royals.
Yes, shame about Wayne. Really nice guy as was his bro Doug.

Murray Couper was a good full forward for the dee's he wasnt a dirty player. But didnt shy away from the hard stuff. he got as much as he gave.

It was pretty typical for the 70s wasn't it, they were all rule benders and hard as.....even more so the country boys!
Different times indeed. Went to the Wickepin games as a kid and those farmer boys didn't take prisoners.

WAFL was pretty hard core and a lot of things went on (and were said - E.g. racism) just to put the opposition off their game.

The footy was simpler too. Players played in 5 lines of three. Full forwards only left the goalsquare on the lead. CHF's never went past the centre circle and so on. I remember as a kid playing CHF for a match and straying past centre. Still remember the coach bollocking!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back