Perth Drivers are absolutley s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

The road traffic code doesn't distinguish between transperth and any other buses so yes school buses can use them and you have to give way to them the same as a transperth bus.

cool didn't know they used public bays ... i only remember my school bus only ever picking up students from the school

Just to clarify the bus has to have one of those give way to buses stickers to be able to do it.
I just had an interesting incident on Canning Highway in Attadale. I was doing a U-turn at a gap in the median strip. The rules for this one are that you have to stay to the right of the gap.

A humpty came down and wanted to use the gap as well from the other direction and obviously didn't realise you stay to the right. Proceeded to drive around the front of me and onto the island to my right abusing all the way and finger signs.... when all he had to do was stay close to the island on his right and pass to my left.

The kept left rule does not apply in these situations... but this is another rule that is relatively new as it used to be the other way until WA aligned with the rest of the country.

I'm starting to think that this might be the source of a lot of problems here. Most drivers on the road learnt all the old rules and haven't been bought up to speed with the new ones.... and now we have all these eastern states and kiwi's in WA for mining etc who know the rules elsewhere because they learnt with them... and invariably there is a clash. I used to be a copper and we had to keep up to date with the rules when they changed.

Most clashes I've had since I've been back in WA seem to be from people not realising what the changes have been or misalignment with standards in other states.

Here's a quote from a National Transport Commission paper... http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...7c2YK3Ram9wXNCc4A&sig2=hhkV0GKzJV2ppXW3rI4AXQ

A legal audit commissioned by NTC in 2003 found that state-specific road rules varied by 3.6% from the national rules. Of the 100 variations across Australia, 87 are in Western Australia. When Western Australia is removed from the analysis, only 0.5% of road rules vary across the other seven states and territories. Further, many of the Western Australia variations from the Australian Road Rules have an uncertain or minimal effect on road users. For example, Western Australia does not include the objectives of the road rules in its equivalent regulations, but this is counted as a variation.

So WA had/has the most non-standard road rules of all the states. No wonder people are confused.

Just heard on the radio that the traffic lights are out at Leach Hwy and Manning Rd.

For what seems like the 3rd or 4th time in the last 2 weeks. What's going on there?

That must be chaos, that intersection gets really busy at times. Took me three cycles of lights to turn right onto Manning last time I was there during the morning rush.

48990199.jpg

<rant>
people in little cars not being able to merge!!!

Three times since I've been back in Perth I've had people in Hyundai Getz's thinking that if they stay really close to the car in front of them and not creating a gap, that they don't have to allow other cars to merge into that gap. I've seen it lots too and it always seems to be these little Hyundai's.

Taking off from lights where two lanes merge into one instead of allowing cars to merge from both lanes left/right/left/right or whatever, they squeeze up really close to the car in front forcing me or others to suddenly brake and go behind them instead of allowing them to merge correctly.

This morning I forced the issue and made a woman give way or hit me as per the road rules and I got headlights flashed at me and fist shaking till she turned off.

The road rules are very simple when merging, regardless of any signs about lanes ending or how close you are to the car in front...

"you must give way to another vehicle if any portion of it is ahead of your vehicle."

That means when someone is half a car length in front you have to make room to let them in...even if they are only one centimetre in front you have to give way!!!

</rant>

<rant>
people in little cars not being able to merge!!!

Three times since I've been back in Perth I've had people in Hyundai Getz's thinking that if they stay really close to the car in front of them and not creating a gap, that they don't have to allow other cars to merge into that gap. I've seen it lots too and it always seems to be these little Hyundai's.

Taking off from lights where two lanes merge into one instead of allowing cars to merge from both lanes left/right/left/right or whatever, they squeeze up really close to the car in front forcing me or others to suddenly brake and go behind them instead of allowing them to merge correctly.

This morning I forced the issue and made a woman give way or hit me as per the road rules and I got headlights flashed at me and fist shaking till she turned off.

The road rules are very simple when merging, regardless of any signs about lanes ending or how close you are to the car in front...

"you must give way to another vehicle if any portion of it is ahead of your vehicle."

That means when someone is half a car length in front you have to make room to let them in...even if they are only one centimetre in front you have to give way!!!

</rant>

Yup, most Perth drivers do not know how to merge. It is a simple concept that seems to just swoosh over their heads. The most irritating thing about your story was that she actually had the nerve to flash and fist shake you. She would of known what she was doing creeping up so close to the car in front of her.

Had the same thing happen to me with a guy in a expensive 4WD. He squeeze up and even tried to force his way through but I just stayed the course. He backed off because his paintwork will probably cost as much as my car. Fist shaked and tried to stare me down when he eventually overtake me. He can just stare at my middle finger. Campaigner !!!

Going to Jim Kidds Morley there was a ****wit just sitting in his car with it running out the front of a shop in the one way car park, had a heap of cars backed up that had to very slowly creep past him.

Even though it's pretty obvious maybe he just didn't know but he didn't even put his hand up to apologise to anyone as they crawled past.

Going to Jim Kidds Morley there was a ****wit just sitting in his car with it running out the front of a shop in the one way car park, had a heap of cars backed up that had to very slowly creep past him.

Even though it's pretty obvious maybe he just didn't know but he didn't even put his hand up to apologise to anyone as they crawled past.
That's a shitty car park. I go there often to buy sporting gear and every time I park there , I always drive away shaking my head at other peoples dickheadedness.

Last edited:
Trying to cross a busy road from a bus stop on my way home this afternoon. Took a long time. There would have been better breaks in the road and I would have crossed earlier if people stopped driving like Ned Flanders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Driving up to Perth from Mandurah on the freeway, I was approaching an on-ramp so I pulled into the right lane to let the traffic in, silly bitch comes onto the fwy, doesn't even look and cuts right into the right lane, had to slam on my breaks going 110 and she didn't even see me until I hit the horn. (And yes she stayed in the right lane for like 20km even though it wasn't heavy traffic)

I couldn't imagine many Perth drivers surviving a day driving in parts of Asia.

If you can hold your nerves for the first week, you will be fine for the rest of the time because good or bad EVERYONE does the same thing and you just get used to it.

Driving in China would be good fun.

The only way I can describe it is "Organised Chaos" and it works. Whatever you want to do on the road, just do it and someone will let you through. Driving into an intersection without looking for ongoing cars because you are expecting those cars to slow down for you. I can count the number of times my father-in-law drove faster than 40km/h. I had to asked the question whether the speedometer was in mph.

If you can hold your nerves for the first week, you will be fine for the rest of the time because good or bad EVERYONE does the same thing and you just get used to it.

The only way I can describe it is "Organised Chaos" and it works. Whatever you want to do on the road, just do it and someone will let you through. Driving into an intersection without looking for ongoing cars because you are expecting those cars to slow down for you. I can count the number of times my father-in-law drove faster than 40km/h. I had to asked the question whether the speedometer was in mph.

Imagine being a tuk tuk driver. I think it would be fun but those guys have some guts to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back