Remove this Banner Ad

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure what to say to that.

What an overwhelming waste of human lives. Surely the governments first priority would be to upgrade the transport infrastructure.

It's not that there is a shortage of money for that, and there are always plans and talks and the occasional thing built. But corruption rules here. It is LITERALLY in the $US Billions when it comes to Government officers skimming and scamming.

A recent highway built here, (opened last month), from Saigon to a popular seaside city, (Vung Tau), was found to have 30% less concrete and reo bar in it compared to the design specs. And this is an elevated, (above the chaotic traffic), 4 lane road. So it's kinda dangerous you would think.

The Korean site managers were hauled over the coals, but we all know where the money went. And the journalist who broke the story has disappeared, feared executed.

But it was opened regardless and is used by countless vehicles each day. It will, more than likely, collapse at some point, and everyone will look concerned and point fingers, a few people will be scape-goated, but, in reality, SFA will be done about it.

It's serious s**t here.

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not that there is a shortage of money for that, and there are always plans and talks and the occasional thing built. But corruption rules here. It is LITERALLY in the $US Billions when it comes to Government officers skimming and scamming.

A recent highway built here, (opened last month), from Saigon to a popular seaside city, (Vung Tau), was found to have 30% less concrete and reo bar in it compared to the design specs. And this is an elevated, (above the chaotic traffic), 4 lane road. So it's kinda dangerous you would think.

The Korean site managers were hauled over the coals, but we all know where the money went. And the journalist who broke the story has disappeared, feared executed.

But it was opened regardless and is used by countless vehicles each day. It will, more than likely, collapse at some point, and everyone will look concerned and point fingers, a few people will be scape-goated, but, in reality, SFA will be done about it.

It's serious s**t here.

I had no idea that it was so corrupt there.

Are they connected to the Vietnamese version of the mob or just dodgy bastards who know they will get away with it?

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
I had no idea that it was so corrupt there.

Are they connected to the Vietnamese version of the mob or just dodgy bastards who know they will get away with it?

No, it is the Government, from the very top down.

Example: McDonalds have finally come to Vietnam. Who got the first two franchises in Hanoi and Saigon? The Prime Ministers son, that's who.
Did he buy the land for the "restaurants"? Nope, legitimate businesses were kicked out and bulldozed, with paltry compensation, in PRIME parts of both inner cities.
They are licenses to print money here with young people clambering for Western culture and food.
So yeah.

The whole culture is based upon cheating and dishonesty due to Government policies. High School children ALL cheat at exams because they literally cannot cope with the amount of work in the curriculum, (my Australian daughter attends school here).

So it starts there and trickles through the rest of society.

You cannot get ANYTHING done here without paying some sort of bribe. And you rock the boat and see what happens to you.

If I wanted someone dead, it would cost me $2,000US, serious. And very easy to organise. Want the cops to turn a blind eye to murder? Then give the hitman an extra $3,000US for the brown paper bag.

Life is cheap here.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
I have ridden motorbikes all my life and did about 6 weeks on a scooter in New Delhi quite comfortably.At times in Western Australia I have carried a couple of large industrial ball-bearings in my jacket pocket for some form of protection/square-up for characters who like playing dangerous games with motorcyclists.I would however not be inclined to mount a motorbike in Vietnam having seen some of the most devil-may-care-kamikaze escapades I've seen anywhere in the world.
Plain crazy Russian-roulette s**t like overtaking 4 wide on blind mountain corners and of course the associated snap-blood-spurt-gush.A very hazardous percentage of road users seem to be intent on aggressive fatalistic gambling while at the wheel.

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
No, it is the Government, from the very top down.

Example: McDonalds have finally come to Vietnam. Who got the first two franchises in Hanoi and Saigon? The Prime Ministers son, that's who.
Did he buy the land for the "restaurants"? Nope, legitimate businesses were kicked out and bulldozed, with paltry compensation, in PRIME parts of both inner cities.
They are licenses to print money here with young people clambering for Western culture and food.
So yeah.

The whole culture is based upon cheating and dishonesty due to Government policies. High School children ALL cheat at exams because they literally cannot cope with the amount of work in the curriculum, (my Australian daughter attends school here).

So it starts there and trickles through the rest of society.

You cannot get ANYTHING done here without paying some sort of bribe. And you rock the boat and see what happens to you.

If I wanted someone dead, it would cost me $2,000US, serious. And very easy to organise. Want the cops to turn a blind eye to murder? Then give the hitman an extra $3,000US for the brown paper bag.

Life is cheap here.

Here is the million dollar question?

Why do you live there? I mean that as pure curiosity. Do you own a business there or were you sent there for business?

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here is the million dollar question?

Why do you live there? I mean that as pure curiosity. Do you own a business there or were you sent there for business?

Yeah, originally I came here as an employee, but now I have businesses here and in other parts of Asia. Once you get your head around it and stop having an Australian expectation of things, it is fantastic. Food, culture, people, the ability to travel to another country and culture in an hour or two and, of course, the chance to tap into developing economies and actually make a difference to peoples lives is pretty amazing.

However, I'm coming home for good soon due to health reasons.

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, originally I came here as an employee, but now I have businesses here and in other parts of Asia. Once you get your head around it and stop having an Australian expectation of things, it is fantastic. Food, culture, people, the ability to travel to another country and culture in an hour or two and, of course, the chance to tap into developing economies and actually make a difference to peoples lives is pretty amazing.

However, I'm coming home for good soon due to health reasons.

I've been to Hong Kong and the Philippines and that was one hell of a culture shock. Couldn't imagine living there though given I'm not a fan of large amounts of people and traffic. The hustle bustle of both places was too much for the likes of me. That said though I had an amazing time there, especially the hong kong karaoke bars. Most fun I've ever had was getting drunk with my mate and these random people singing stupid songs.

Sorry to hear about the bad health. Hopefully it's something that can be improved.

UFO Tatsu

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 11, 2012
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
i guess to be expected ... BB in the waca (congratulations to the scorchers btw), Bruce Springsteen in the arena and fringe festival in Northbridge ... geez traffic in the city was crazy

Tazmania

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2007
Back in WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's an etiquette thing though.

Same as how we've invented our own etiquette for roundabouts where you don't indicate at all if you're going straight on. Not technically correct, but it's an understanding that works.
I saw this and had to correct.

Back in the 90's this was changed. It used to be that you had to indicate for every aspect of a roundabout but it was bought in line with the rest of Australia who did it differently.

Going left - Indicate
Going Right - Indicate
Going Straight - Don't indicate.

Pamphlet from Office of Road Safety explaining it is here. http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...moHwBA&usg=AFQjCNGjpnc6wafaZC4SghuW2bcMma759Q

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back