Perth - First airport in Australia to have these ....

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
If they decided to offer alternatives like that during airport curfew (e.g. Sydney closes overnight), then that would be magnificent. But just in regular hours, no thanks.

Could see it proving trendy/popular for a niche audience though. Definitely has its place going forward. I just don't think most people are going to go for it unless the odd occasion when stuck in transit for several hours, dead-tired and craving personal space, or needing complete focus on meeting some deadline without all the distractions.

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
Makes sense given the high volumes of patrons sleeping in the airport after hours.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Ergh. General Public are filthy

Each time it's hired they give out clean linen etc.

sleeping pods.jpg

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I've been a regular user since they opened last November. Starting from next swing I will be bringing my little self inflating mattress and lightweight sleeping bag with me and sleep on the floor in the terminal. The pods are shite.

They're probably set up in the worst place possible, there is a lot of traffic and mounted on the wall directly above them is a big LCD advertising screen (for Seinfeld fans, think Kramer and the Chicken Joint), every 20 minutes or so the pre-recorded security announcement comes on over the PA.

When the started up, it was around $47 for 5 hours, it's now around $71 for 5 hours. They are stuffy inside, they have holes but there is no airflow, I bought myself a little usb powered fan to use. They didn't initially have them but they got some on my recommendation and they will let you use one for another $2.

My last couple experiences are the straw that broke the camel's back. I book them for 11pm until 4am, I fly in around 10:50pm or so, they have no-one there waiting for me, they are run by the shop that does the baggage wrapping, about 2/3s of the way down the International Terminal. I will walk down to them and if they're not busy they'll come pretty much straight away because there's usually only 1 person on, if they're busy, I'll just have to wait. We walk back down, they will unlock it, give me my 'linen' (if that's what you call it) and leave me to my own devices. I'm usually squared away by 11:20-11:25pm so I've lost that time off my booking. At 11:30pm a girl will come in to sit there for the night. As a light sleeper who once I'm asleep can take hours to get to sleep again if I'm woken up, the girl has a habit of knocking and then opening up to check and see who I am, she usually does this just as I've fallen to sleep or about to. I might fall back to sleep around 12:30 to 1:00am. Last week I was woken again at around 2:30am as she had a loud conversation with her mate who worked elsewhere in the terminal. The desk she sits at is only half a dozen feet from the PODS. It is not the first time she's done this, last week I actually rolled up the shutter and stuck my head out to glare at them (I didn't want to say anything in case I woke up any of the other sleepers), her and her mate glared back at me for interrupting their conversation. Very promptly at 4am she will knock on the pod and wake me if (if I've managed to get back to sleep).

It's taken awhile but it's back to the floor for me, the pods are s**t, they're in a s**t location and their staff are s**t. I'll get a better sleep and save myself $72 from now on. At least I fly Virgin up to work so I can go upstairs and have a shower and freshen up before I head off to terminal 2 to fly up to site.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Perth is not a transit airport.
There will be little demand.

Heaps of demand Monday to Thursday by fifo workers, although that's getting less now since they jacked the prices right up. It's dead on the other 3 days according to the staff.

When I first moved back to Vic and started doing fifo from there to WA, I was amazed and the numbers of bodies sleeping all over the terminal, there's dozens and dozens.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I've been a regular user since they opened last November. Starting from next swing I will be bringing my little self inflating mattress and lightweight sleeping bag with me and sleep on the floor in the terminal. The pods are s**t.

They're probably set up in the worst place possible, there is a lot of traffic and mounted on the wall directly above them is a big LCD advertising screen (for Seinfeld fans, think Kramer and the Chicken Joint), every 20 minutes or so the pre-recorded security announcement comes on over the PA.

When the started up, it was around $47 for 5 hours, it's now around $71 for 5 hours. They are stuffy inside, they have holes but there is no airflow, I bought myself a little usb powered fan to use. They didn't initially have them but they got some on my recommendation and they will let you use one for another $2.

My last couple experiences are the straw that broke the camel's back. I book them for 11pm until 4am, I fly in around 10:50pm or so, they have no-one there waiting for me, they are run by the shop that does the baggage wrapping, about 2/3s of the way down the International Terminal. I will walk down to them and if they're not busy they'll come pretty much straight away because there's usually only 1 person on, if they're busy, I'll just have to wait. We walk back down, they will unlock it, give me my 'linen' (if that's what you call it) and leave me to my own devices. I'm usually squared away by 11:20-11:25pm so I've lost that time off my booking. At 11:30pm a girl will come in to sit there for the night. As a light sleeper who once I'm asleep can take hours to get to sleep again if I'm woken up, the girl has a habit of knocking and then opening up to check and see who I am, she usually does this just as I've fallen to sleep or about to. I might fall back to sleep around 12:30 to 1:00am. Last week I was woken again at around 2:30am as she had a loud conversation with her mate who worked elsewhere in the terminal. The desk she sits at is only half a dozen feet from the PODS. It is not the first time she's done this, last week I actually rolled up the shutter and stuck my head out to glare at them (I didn't want to say anything in case I woke up any of the other sleepers), her and her mate glared back at me for interrupting their conversation. Very promptly at 4am she will knock on the pod and wake me if (if I've managed to get back to sleep).

It's taken awhile but it's back to the floor for me, the pods are s**t, they're in a s**t location and their staff are s**t. I'll get a better sleep and save myself $72 from now on. At least I fly Virgin up to work so I can go upstairs and have a shower and freshen up before I head off to terminal 2 to fly up to site.

Sounds terrible.

Did you wank in it at any point?

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I've been a regular user since they opened last November. Starting from next swing I will be bringing my little self inflating mattress and lightweight sleeping bag with me and sleep on the floor in the terminal. The pods are s**t.

Sad story. You should have told that heartless b*tch that you're trying to have a wank and she needs to be quiet.

JW Frogen

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I am afraid to use them.

Because I am sure when I wake up it will be one thousand years latter and I will be living on Planet of the Apes.

Or Planet of the Roaches if things keep going the way they are.

Back