Luigi742

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Western Force, Rabbitohs, Glory
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/12805734/glory-owner-considers-ground-switch/

Really hope they do it! Can you imagine the atmosphere in a dome? Not to mention it would be packed or close to for a lot of games, seeing as it's capacity is only 13,500. Mind you the move has looked certain before and it didn't go through, but this time it seems inevitable, Tony Sage has made it clear he doesn't want his team at nib next year and the dome is definitely a better option than the Perth Hockey Stadium.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/12805734/glory-owner-considers-ground-switch/

Really hope they do it! Can you imagine the atmosphere in a dome? Not to mention it would be packed or close to for a lot of games, seeing as it's capacity is only 13,500. Mind you the move has looked certain before and it didn't go through, but this time it seems inevitable, Tony Sage has made it clear he doesn't want his team at nib next year and the dome is definitely a better option than the Perth Hockey Stadium.

I hope they do this for the lulz.

Honestly Freo Oval would be a better option than anything mentioned.

Also how would this effect the Hopman cup?

Yeah, discussed this in the Perth stadium thread.

Curtin would be a nightmare for lots of people. You might get a few hundred students, but logistically, how many families want to hang around Bentley? Especially if it's a night finish.

Does anyone know how much reconfiguration would need to occur? And also, how it could be done? You need to remember that a tennis arena (inclusive of the actual court, and the space between the lines and the barriers) is nowhere near enough for even a tiny soccer pitch. Surely some grandstands would have to be ripped up.

Curtin would be a nightmare for lots of people. You might get a few hundred students, but logistically, how many families want to hang around Bentley? Especially if it's a night finish.

Does anyone know how much reconfiguration would need to occur? And also, how it could be done? You need to remember that a tennis arena (inclusive of the actual court, and the space between the lines and the barriers) is nowhere near enough for even a tiny soccer pitch. Surely some grandstands would have to be ripped up.
How many families want to walk through Northbridge after a night finish?

True. But you can argue that Northbridge is a little more 'central' than Curtin uni. Ease of access.

Burswood Dome was one of the options in 2007 after the deal at perth oval finished, all the logistics have already been thought out.

The Floor Space is 118m X 74m, that leaves about 4.5 metres at the ends and 9m on the sidelines, not ideal but workable. Also the roof is 35m high at it's peak, similar to etihad.

An Artificial Turf would be developed.

Seating capacity would 13,500, here's a map of what it might look like:
n_2012-02-04.jpg

Here's a picture from a similar venue in norway:
Telenor_Arena_86551a.jpg

Some of the other options are:
Play at nib with a 4000 seated capacity, and another 4000 standing.
the aforementioned perth hockey stadium
Joondalup Arena

Burswood Dome really seems the best option

I'd imagine the Hockey stadium would be a lot more family friendly than Perth oval. There's easily enough free parking within a short walk.

The people who'll be inconvenienced are the firm wannabes in the shed who have no place to get pissed before the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd imagine the Hockey stadium would be a lot more family friendly than Perth oval. There's easily enough free parking within a short walk.

The people who'll be inconvenienced are the firm wannabes in the shed who have no place to get pissed before the game.

Is the curtin tavern open to the public?

Imagine the atmosphere in the Dome.

Where would all of 'the shed' blokes be situated though? Hmm..

Death of Shed would be pretty sad but I would def go to a Dome game just to see what its like. :p

My guess is they'll just chose one of the ends, probably the stage end.

At the Hopman Cup, there is a main court and practice court inside the dome. Additionally 3 sides of the court are removable grandstands on the surface. The food and merch areas are also on the surface.

Perhaps it wasn't discussed in this thread, but Perth are entertaining the Perth Hockey Stadium as an option. I live on campus and moved in today, so checked out the venue. The grandstand is truly ugly. It's just a poor design. It could probably fit about 12,000 (with standing), but the pitch would be Highbury size.

Perhaps it wasn't discussed in this thread, but Perth are entertaining the Perth Hockey Stadium as an option. I live on campus and moved in today, so checked out the venue. The grandstand is truly ugly. It's just a poor design. It could probably fit about 12,000 (with standing), but the pitch would be Highbury size.

There is plenty of room for expansion in regards to the stands, since the existing stand only takes up one wing and with the other 3 sides being surrounded by grass banks. There is also plenty of room outside the existing fenceline. Obviously amount of extra seating + whether it is temporary or permanent would depend on how long the lease would be for. Logistically the only issue would be how to get the seating a) onto the sloped bank or b) how to change the angle of the grass banks.

I think it would be good to get more use out of the facilities than just the occassional use by hockey.

However as you mentioned, pitch size could be an issue.

sr=1

sr=1

Hockey built themselves a stadium with a standard hockey size pitch, how damned inconsiderate of them!

I really hope they don't play at the hockey stadium, not just because playing in a dome would be cooler, but because I really don't the facilities are there, but because it would be cheaper, I feel that is where the glory will be playing next year. At least i will be able to walk to the games :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back