Remove this Banner Ad

bunsen burner

Hall of Famer
Veteran 30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 12, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I keep hearing talk like "I'm from South of the river, it's so much better here" and vice versa. wtf? Personally I don't see a difference. Both are so vast and varied you can't really truely define each and say one is better than the other. Sure, Attadale trumps Balgaria, but North Perth trumps Atwell.

Why do you people think your side of the river is better? let's have a shootout about this. Why is your side of the river better?

• Banned
Yeah, not the shootout I was hoping for. I wanted some "south of the river is full of six fingered illiterate spacca kents" sort of stuff. Oh well.

• Banned
I tend to notice those southern kents wlays think they are better because the North has Lockridge, Koondoola, Balga, Girraween etc. But I reckon the south has as many feral suburbs. Rockingham for a start.

North v South is too simple.

You can pretty much draw a rectangle from Bull Creek in the South East to City Beach in the North West and the majority of the good parts of Perth will be in it. Cottesloe > Bull Creek, but Applecross > Glendalough. Etc.

Most of Perth is dull urban sprawl anyway and there are dozens of suburbs North and South which look no different to me. On the coast the South gets shitter quicker, but suburbia 30km North of the city is the same as a suburbia 30km South as far as I'm concerned.

My preference is a top riverside suburb (either side) or a top beachside suburb (Cott, City Beach or North Freo).

N
You can pretty much draw a rectangle from Bull Creek in the South East to City Beach in the North West and the majority of the good parts of Perth will be in it. Cottesloe > Bull Creek, but Applecross > Glendalough. Etc.
Agree with this. The best part of Perth is central both North and South. The outer suburbs are mostly rubbish in any direction. All of the newer suburbs are bland and look the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When in Perth have always lived North and loved it, as long as you are west of marmion avenue and south of Whitfords ave.

I always thought the rivalary was because perth is all pretty samey so when you are a certain age group, without a car, you never go to the 'other side.' And lack of knowledge breeds fear and contempt.

I lived in Perth for 20 years, always south of the river, parents worked south, all my friends lived south of river. I honestly cant recall ever going north of the river. It might as well be Africa for all I know. Scarey and weird. Its like that episode of the simpsons where they go into shelbyville.

Mirrabooka is basically Africatown these days.

I'll probably be a southerner for life though.

Pretty much

Same goes for if you live East side of Albany Highway/leach

Thornlie is a Hole.

Thornlie has it's nice parts, just anywhere near Spencer Rd is trouble.

Had to drive from Herdsman to Roleystone to Mandurah for work the other week - the south east stretch between Armadale and the Kwinana Freeway along Thomas Road (south canning vale?) is seriously creepy and deliverance-esque.

Yeah, that's a bit of a wasteland. But it's nowhere near Canning vale.

Canning vale is it's own brand of weird. Full of people that paid top dollar for their s**t piece of land only to realise that there's the busiest airport in Australia next door and now they're pissed about aircraft noise. TBH anything outside the Roe Hwy/Tonkin Hwy/Reid Hwy ring isn't worth visiting.

Yeah, that's a bit of a wasteland. But it's nowhere near Canning vale.

Canning vale is it's own brand of weird. Full of people that paid top dollar for their s**t piece of land only to realise that there's the busiest airport in Australia next door and now they're pissed about aircraft noise. TBH anything outside the Roe Hwy/Tonkin Hwy/Reid Hwy ring isn't worth visiting.
we were renting in canning vale and our neighbours sold their house for 1.1m. and the house wasnt even that flash. crazy stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back