Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
FYI, no short term relevance to AFL footy:
AMP Capital has struck a multimillion-dollar deal to buy half of Westadium, the company that helped finance the $1.5 billion Optus Stadium project.

Despite the significance of the deal, the equity value of the transaction, which could be anywhere between $50 million and $100 million, has been kept secret.

The State Government, which picked up 60 per cent of the cost, commissioned the state-of-the-art stadium with the local arm of British developer and operator of privately financed public sector infrastructure John Laing Group plc funding the rest.
https://thewest.com.au/business/com...als-new-share-of-optus-stadium-ng-b881135798z

It puts a value on the completed facility, will the State Govt write it down/up ??

FYI, no short term relevance to AFL footy:
AMP Capital has struck a multimillion-dollar deal to buy half of Westadium, the company that helped finance the $1.5 billion Optus Stadium project.

Despite the significance of the deal, the equity value of the transaction, which could be anywhere between $50 million and $100 million, has been kept secret.

The State Government, which picked up 60 per cent of the cost, commissioned the state-of-the-art stadium with the local arm of British developer and operator of privately financed public sector infrastructure John Laing Group plc funding the rest.
https://thewest.com.au/business/com...als-new-share-of-optus-stadium-ng-b881135798z

It puts a value on the completed facility, will the State Govt write it down/up ??
Stadiums aren't great investments particularly the early years and doubly so if its a BOOT project - Build, Own, Operate Transfer type project, which my understanding there is a transfer of the 40% at the end of 25 operating years. Look at the early investors in Docklands and Olympic Stadium in Sydney they lost hundreds of millions of dollars. Mind you they were 100% owners not 40%. AMP dont have a great investment record the last decade or so.

The article doesn't say who has sold out, but they didn't mention B.V. and Aberdeen Infrastructure Investments (NPS) Limited. I wrote this on the Port board stadium deals thread in late 2017.

But the mob providing 40% of the financing are called Westadium and responsible for the Design, Build, Finance and Maintain the stadium for 28 years ie 3 years of construction and first 25 years of use are a consortium of the following - John Laing Investments (Perth Stadium) B.V. and Aberdeen Infrastructure Investments (NPS) Limited. From Page 3 of The new Perth Stadium Design, Build, Finance and Maintain Project February 2015 Project Summary

Brookfield Multiplex Engineering and Infrastructure Pty Ltd (the Builder) has been subcontracted by Westadium to undertake design, construction, fit out and commissioning of the Stadium and Sports Precinct works over a three year period (the Design and Construction (D&C) phase). Following commissioning of the Stadium and Sports Precinct, facilities management services (Services) will be provided over a 25 year operating term (the Operating Phase) by Brookfield Johnson Controls Pty Ltd (the FM Subcontractor). Westadium will not be undertaking operational activities such as securing events, promoting the Stadium, agreeing commercial access arrangements with hirers, branding and advertising and making any event and function arrangements (including in relation to ticketing, event and function staff, event and function crowd control and catering operations). These activities will be undertaken by the Stadium Operator who is to be appointed by the Governance Agency (VenuesWest) after a separate procurement process during 2015.

VenuesWest appointed the Stadium Australia Operations and they changed their name to VenuesLive.

Edit Page 27 (final page) of document linked above confirmed this is a BOOT type project with transfer of ownership to the state government after 25 years.

2.3.8 State Rights at Expiry of the DBFM Project
The Project Agreement requires Westadium to handover the Stadium and Sports Precinct to the State at the end of the Operating Phase (or upon earlier termination) for nil consideration.

On page 4 Operating Phase is defined as;
Operating Phase (Facilities management) 25 years from 1 January 2018

Last edited:

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
https://thewest.com.au/sport/cricke...t-new-zealand-at-optus-stadium-ng-b881159827z

Interesting. So last session under lights of which last hour will be well and truly dark?
Stumps would be between 8-8.30 depending on over-rates. With no Daylight Savings and a high western stadium profile I'd say the lights would be on by 5 before the shadows hit the pitch and in full use before drinks in the last session. In Adelaide we start at 2 with DLS and it's fully dark the last 90 mins maximum.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Yeah I've taken the kids to all the games you've been to and it's been great. Strange about the food though, every time I've had something it's been pretty good (don't eat at the footy/cricket that often but have found it fine everytime I've had it).
Ugh - everything ive bought at optus has ended in the bin 1/2 or less eaten - one bite in on one occasion.

Appalling sludge would be a compliment.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
So I havent been to any rainy games at Perth stadium yet.

How did people at last nights Eagles game find it as a spectator? Well protected from the rain? Freezing cold? Nice warm food?

Im curious how people found it.

Aug 14, 2005
NoR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
lakers, nufc, subi, colts
So I havent been to any rainy games at Perth stadium yet.

How did people at last nights Eagles game find it as a spectator? Well protected from the rain? Freezing cold? Nice warm food?

Im curious how people found it.
Level 3, out of the rain fortunately. Freezing wind though similar to ones you get in Melbourne where it feels like it's blowing straight in from antartica.

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
I said it at the time it was being proposed (2011) and I'll say it again, Optus should've been 70,000 to start with.

It's already too small for the Eagles, and in 20 years time both clubs will need a larger stadium IMO.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
I said it at the time it was being proposed (2011) and I'll say it again, Optus should've been 70,000 to start with.

It's already too small for the Eagles, and in 20 years time both clubs will need a larger stadium IMO.
Nah Fremantle won't be outgrowing Optus anytime soon.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

Its expandable - they can add to it.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Dunno about that. Get back into flag contention and it's not difficult to see another 15k or so a game.
As long as they don't completely take the piss with prices of course.
They had a bog ordinary year last year and put prices up - my freagle mate whos supported them as a second team for years cos he couldnt get eagles tix got them this year so tata dox

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
They had a bog ordinary year last year and put prices up - my freagle mate whos supported them as a second team for years cos he couldnt get eagles tix got them this year so tata dox

Yeah I know....although they did create a GA area behind the goals where tickets are bargain basement. But yeah, $67 for behind the goals and at least $87 for anything even remotely decent is a tad overboard.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Yeah I know....although they did create a GA area behind the goals where tickets are bargain basement. But yeah, $67 for behind the goals and at least $87 for anything even remotely decent is a tad overboard.
Seems a bit daft yo me - short termism - they should pack the place out - wait till they are doing well and got a waiting list then trade on fomo in the bad times like yhe eagles do

Little bit ahead of themselves in that respect - which (selfishly) annoys me because i want the perth stadium expansion to happen sooner rather than later.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Seems a bit daft yo me - short termism - they should pack the place out - wait till they are doing well and got a waiting list then trade on fomo in the bad times like yhe eagles do

Little bit ahead of themselves in that respect - which (selfishly) annoys me because i want the perth stadium expansion to happen sooner rather than later.

I doubt they'd be packing the place out regardless of price. It's not like Freo are making $10 million profit like the Eagles, they still want to be maximising revenue in order to be able to pay for stuff.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
Dunno about that. Get back into flag contention and it's not difficult to see another 15k or so a game.
As long as they don't completely take the piss with prices of course.
We rarely sold out Subi when we were in flag contention 2013-2015

Back