Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

A few lower limb injuries happening at WA sides. Barrass is well known to got the stress fracture during training at the ground. Taberner has another freak fracture, the second year whilst playing on the ground. Plus Alex Pearce has recurring problems and again fractures his lower leg.
Edwards from West Coast has a navicular problem which could’ve been attributed to the ground.
The ground is known for its hardness and not similar to softer MCG. What’s the go with this? A harder outfield for cricket season?

Edit: Not Adams, meant Harry Edwards
From what I've heard (not sure if true) but one of the big wigs controlling the Stadium is more into cricket so maybe they are preparing the ground more for the cricket season?? I know Simmo has been in their ear about the hard surface, not sure about Lyon.

From what I've heard (not sure if true) but one of the big wigs controlling the Stadium is more into cricket so maybe they are preparing the ground more for the cricket season?? I know Simmo has been in their ear about the hard surface, not sure about Lyon.
A stadium built and designed as for footy and cricket should mean being prepared for both in their own seasons. MCG and AO are now designed for both and don't seem to have such prevelent issues.

A stadium built and designed as for footy and cricket should mean being prepared for both in their own seasons. MCG and AO are now designed for both and don't seem to have such prevelent issues.
AO did have a bit of teething issues about grass and hardness the first year. They rolled the dirt pretty hard to lazer level it before they laid down the turf and had to use a lot of sand those first couple of months of 2013-14 cricket season to get it right. Because of better drainage work, they lay gravel and sand before they put the brown soil down so that made the ground harder post development compared to pre development.

The issue at AO was more around grass as the preferred cricket grass, Santa Anna couch grass, is a bit tighter than the rye grass used for footy and there was concern that boots might get stuck in the Santa Anna couch grass compared to Footy park surface. Apparently they sow rye grass seeds into the turf in footy season and couch grass seeds in cricket season.

There was a bit of concern and a few comments the first 12 months, but 5 years later I don't think I have heard any further comments about it.

Last edited:
AO did have a bit of teething issues about grass and hardness the first year. They rolled the dirt pretty hard to lazer level it before they laid down the turf and had to use a lot of sand those first couple of months of 2013-14 cricket season to get it right. Because of better drainage work, they lay gravel and sand before they put the brown soil down so that made the ground harder post development compared to pre development.
This is the problem with Burswood - it drains too well. It has successive layers of sand, fine ballast then coarse ballast on top of sloped impenetrable roadbase with dozens of 100mm poly drainage culverts from the pitch box to the boundary. It doesn't hold ANY water regardless of how much it gets, and the sand never plumps up in the rain.

This is the problem with Burswood - it drains too well. It has successive layers of sand, fine ballast then coarse ballast on top of sloped impenetrable roadbase with dozens of 100mm poly drainage culverts from the pitch box to the boundary. It doesn't hold ANY water regardless of how much it gets, and the sand never plumps up in the rain.

Yes, fine sand can compact as hard as dry clay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NRL call for urgent report into Optus Stadium Surface hardness. If I'm reading it correctly there is 30 cm of sand over 40 cm of gravel over around 30 cm of compressed dirt over compressed earth. Doesn't sound like much sand over hard gravel but good drainage!

But it's also interesting the grass is a combination of artificial turf with couch grass and rye grass. Artificial turf is a very hard surface but wouldn't affect the below ground AFL ground hardness measures they do, so the % of each would be important.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-...optus-stadium-surface-hardness-ng-b881228097z

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...surface-as-casualty-toll-mounts-ng-b88809328z

Last edited:
Question. What are they doing with the rest of the golf course? There were early concept art of the stadium and the area surrounding it and there was a rectangular stadium there. This is probably never going to happen but, can someone explain to me what are they doing there.

Question. What are they doing with the rest of the golf course? There were early concept art of the stadium and the area surrounding it and there was a rectangular stadium there. This is probably never going to happen but, can someone explain to me what are they doing there.

Nothing as far as I know. Probably earmarked for future development, but I doubt they have much of an idea exactly what.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back