Perth Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Last i heard the WACA ground will lose it's international test status so all tests will be held at the new stadium which was a large part of why the design needing to fit ICC guidelines.
Nonsense. There are grounds in the sub continent and West Indies that are is worse shape than the WACA.

I refer you to the "WACA Wallys" thread on the Stadiums board. Someone posted a letter there from the WACA to all members, saying they didn't consider the new stadium would be financially viable.

Yeah, but it's still an awesome ground to go to, to get around, and to watch footy in. I understand that the Perth Stadium needs to be significantly larger, but it seems like you're buying a Porsche, when a Toyota will do just as fine for half the price.

You don't work in town planning in Perth by any chance?

'A Toyota is good enough' has practically been their motto for the last 30 years. Thankfully we seem to be growing out of that lately.

Last i heard the WACA ground will lose it's international test status so all tests will be held at the new stadium which was a large part of why the design needing to fit ICC guidelines.

Last I heard (a few days ago from a letter to members) there are no prospects of tests leaving the WACA

It's not exactly right on the edge of the CBD and the public transport access that comes with that so they will need to do a good job with the station and linking the trains. Plus the buses both on the stadium side and across the bridge. Which means the footbridge is a vital piece of infrastructure for the success of the whole thing. It's not quite Adelaide Oval perfect but it's close enough to certainly be accessible. People might have to do some walking but hey that's a good thing!

As for the design. It reminds me of a krispy kreme donut. Maybe a touch uninspiring but seems pretty functional. A bit of X factor would be nice but if it's functional then no one will be complaining. And I do hope they've designed it well enough to cheaply add the extra seats because I think they'll want them.

You don't work in town planning in Perth by any chance?

'A Toyota is good enough' has practically been their motto for the last 30 years. Thankfully we seem to be growing out of that lately.

Perth Arena is probably more of an Italian supercar. Does everything the Toyota or even the Mercedes/Audi equivalent does at twice the price with quirky looks which divide opinion.

Really not a fan of how it's surrounded by parklands, I guess that was the "aboriginal" theme they had to tie in there somewhere because it'll have native plants or some s**t?

I think as long as the amenities and viewing angles are better nobody will really complain too much though. The design is a little boring but if it ends up looking like Allianz Arena we'll be golden.

It's not exactly right on the edge of the CBD and the public transport access that comes with that so they will need to do a good job with the station and linking the trains.

It's not really any further away from the centre of the CBD than Subi Oval, and it's the nearest greenfields option. I agree they get to get the transport access spot on though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If only Multiplex knew this when they re-did Wembley Stadium :)

Lessons learned should put them in good stead.

Really not a fan of how it's surrounded by parklands, I guess that was the "aboriginal" theme they had to tie in there somewhere because it'll have native plants or some s**t?

I think as long as the amenities and viewing angles are better nobody will really complain too much though. The design is a little boring but if it ends up looking like Allianz Arena we'll be golden.

What did you want the stadium surrounded by? Car Parks?

People writing in the Perth Now comment section saying the money should be spent on more hospitals. :rolleyes:
It's tragic how badly schools and hospitals are underfunded. But an extra 20,000 seats, for $40 a ticket for 22 games a year is 17 million a year. That's just a cheap estimation of football revenue. Add in cricket, events, food and drink and all of the other economic benefits and it has to be a great investment as long as it remains popular. Without being a politician or economist I'm pretty confident it's a worthy investment.

The cost argument extends a bit further than spend $800m get $17m each year.

West Coast & Freo pay $3m ish a year each to rent Subi Oval. That plus whatever royalties goes to the WAFC to administer footy in WA. Whatever funding model is employed for the new stadium will have the added element of an $800m debt. The WAFC will still want their share, the govt will want a return on their investment and the clubs at a minimum won't want to be worse off. I mean if West Coast can make a profit of $5m from selling 40,000 tickets a week then with an extra 20,000 seats on offer they're going to want to make more.

It will end up like AO/Etihad Stadium etc. with different fingers in the pie. Hopefully we sort out a model that works.

People writing in the Perth Now comment section saying the money should be spent on more hospitals. :rolleyes:
Idiots like that have the IQ of a gnat and make me rage more then I should.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back