Opinion Peter Bell - Should get a raise?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back to 2010 and sack Lloyd on the spot for not drafting Darling. Maybe had we done that we'd have picked up one of Yeo, Hamling or Hill instead of Forster (1 game) in 2011.

Bell has obviously not yet delivered, but I feel when it comes to list management we are the degenerate gambler chasing his losses. The mistakes made a decade ago leave us shorthanded, so we try to patch them up with ever more ludicrous trades (eg McCarthy and Hogan).

If I had a time machine I'd probably focus my attention on changing one particular event in 2013 first.
Actually 2......

1. Not have Kepler Bradley and Jono Griffin do their knees earlier in the season.

2.beat the hawks in the grand final with Kepler Bradley kicking the Match winning goal

Actually 2......

1. Not have Kepler Bradley and Jono Griffin do their knees earlier in the season.

2.beat the hawks in the grand final with Kepler Bradley kicking the Match winning goal

I've fond memories of Seppo starting the Vic cheer squad (and rest of us) on the "One kepler Bradley" song (to the tune of Guantanamera) a few times a match.

The hypocrisy is frustrating. Hogan was never given a chance by the media or the public.

The last time I was in Perth, friends and acquaintances (who support the other mob) were lecturing me about Hogan. About him being on drugs and being a bad influence. I now see the same people defending Willie on facebook and wanting to 'support' and 'wrap up' Rioli. Give me a break.

slime supporters being hypocrites. More news at 6!

I'm defiantly in favour of greater accountability but think Bell needs more time.

this is a results business. he has had 3 years and we've spent the entire time treading water.

I'm not seeing us assembling a premiership quality list. We have a decent midfield, maybe 2/6 defenders and 1/6 forwards. We are so far off its not funny.

His inexperience is a hindrance.

Need experience in our footy club, not the boys club.

called it.

What a surprise now people are turning on him.

We hired a grossly underqualified ex-footballer as our GM of football operations. And now we are surprised it is all going pear-shaped.

Bell's biggest achievement after leaving football was doing his shirt on the development up north, and then taking a job as a day time radio jockey.

Since he has arrived we have hired his best mate to be the coach and made the most obvious move in the history of the AFL which was to sack webber. Hasn't given us anything except another 2 years of treading water.

If I had a time machine I'd probably focus my attention on changing one particular event in 2013 first.
I dunno if me putting the boots on and running out there to help would have improved much, probably would have lost by a lot more if I was even the sub that came on in the last 5 minutes. "Fremantle thrashed, local boob blamed" would be the headline.

But I could totally have told the club "sack Lloyd" in 2011.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta say this doesn’t seem like a very balanced argument.
Most of the trades and drafts during Bells time have been awesome ( Serong , Young , Aish , Chapman to name a few )

The Hogan thing was a balls up but I bet my left one that most of that was Hogans own doing .

So who else would be a better option ?
The guys an:
ex AFL player
Lawyer
Ex Captain
Strong ties to the club
Played for South Fremantle

It’s easy to just say sack everyone but please provide an alternate solution with some substance behind it

This thread if ****ed even by this forums usual very low standards. I know this is hard for some on here to understand, but the five years to win a premiership was a fanciful notion by a wannabe social worker who with the help of his mate and a fair degree of deceit, lined his pockets with our money, even though he knew he wasn't interested in coaching anymore. We not only have to reset, we also have to push very good sides out of the eight and also rise before all the other developing sides without the same advantages. Stop speaking s**t. You are embarassing yourselves.

He's the Football manager so heavily involved in both decisions, but more importantly primarily responsible for being unable to manage him whilst he was here.
But I guess when you think it's all Hogan's fault, Bell looks competent
Jess Hogan was a full-grown adult when he was here and over the last period in Melbourne. It is no one's fault but Jesse's that he failed to deliver on his promise while at Fremantle. It's not Bell's job to go out and handhold these guys for crying out loud. They are adults with access to more support than just about anyone in the community and if they can't organize themselves to be successful in that environment it is on them.

As for the validity of this thread in general, spare me. If the only answer to every issue is to sack someone then the Geelong and more recently the Richmond dynasty would never have happened. Is Bell the messiah, I doubt it. Does sacking him change anything much ... I doubt it.

The guys an:
ex AFL player
Lawyer
Ex Captain
Strong ties to the club
Played for South Fremantle
The job is a General Manager job. He manages managers. Captain of a footy club gives no business management expertise whatsoever. Budgets, occ health etc. Sure, being a lawyer helps if he had to sit down and read a bit of legislation, but he was not versed in the relevant content to start with.

First job as a manager is one thing - hey you have to start somewhere. But starting as a general manager was a bollocks idea, job for the boys sorta thing.

well when Ross Lyon left freo at the end of 2019, so did steve Rosich.

Saying That, I hope freo make finals by the end of 2022.

would be interesting If Both Justin Longmuir and Peter Bell stay on their roles for a few years.

Again, As much as I love the flag, I want at least want some stability. Under Ross Lyon was the only time freo made finals for at least 2 years in a row.

I want Freo to have a 2-3 or possibly even a 4 year run of finals under Justin Longmuir as coach.

I'll take a decade. Cheers

On RMX2001 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll take a decade. Cheers

On RMX2001 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah good luck with that....

We wont play finals for 10 years in a row. This isnt west coast of 1990-99 here.

I would be happy to see freo play finals for 4-5, posssibly 6 in a row.

I would be happy to see freo get 10-12 years of finals in a 30 year period with a flag or 2.

Trades rubbish, Drafting pretty good (Lately), a couple of words of advice for our ding dong, keep your hands out of the Tim Tam jar, your getting fat in the face.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bell, was responsible for bringing Valente in (as i remember it he did a pick swap/upgrade)
Starting to think he might be more hot air than nous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back