Opinion Peter Bell - Should get a raise?

Remove this Banner Ad

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bell, was responsible for bringing Valente in (as i remember it he did a pick swap/upgrade)
Starting to think he might be more hot air than nous

How do you know that?

My memory was that Rosich was acting as the list manager at the time but in any case, the recruiters would be advising the worth and quality of any draftees. A list manager wouldn’t act to trade picks etc without fully be advised by the recruiters and even others that are in the room at the time. It would be a team decision.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bell, was responsible for bringing Valente in (as i remember it he did a pick swap/upgrade)
Starting to think he might be more hot air than nous
What's the point of having scouts, recruiters, list manager if the head of football just picks who he wants? Seems very unlikely to me, more likely you are full of hot air.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Interesting that a thread potting players is shut down (rightfully so) but a thread potting our GM of Footy operations is fine.
Just saying.

I find these types of threads a bit distasteful in general. These are still real people we're talking about, not characters in a computer game.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I find these types of threads a bit distasteful in general. These are still real people we're talking about, not characters in a computer game.
Horses for courses. I think it's distasteful to complain about umpires or a player's individual skill errors in gameday threads. But I also think ultimately if you sign up for it you're fair game.

Mr Cheese

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Question. Who else would you pick?

Criteria (not in any particular order):
  • Must know football
  • Must understand the machinations of football clubs (I'd argue background as a company exec or lawyer would be a useful skillset to have here)
  • Must be able to negotiate
  • Must be media savvy
  • Strong ties to Fremantle preferable, but not essential
  • Must show strong leadership
  • Must have a strong vision and the guts to make potentially unpopular decisions to follow it through (cutting losses appropriately for example)
For me Bell ticks a fair few of these, and given our (admittedly very gradual) improvement since his taking over, I'd say he's earned the right to a bit of time to see where his moves will take us. Don't get me wrong, you have a realistic, better option, I'm all ears, but I think a few are complaining about the meal halfway through it being cooked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gotterdamerung

Team Captain
May 2, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not sure what can be blamed on him aside from the Hogan trade? The roots of our dysfunction are older than his position as football manager, and it is not like he was appointed when we were good.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

• Must know football
  • Must understand the machinations of football clubs (I'd argue background as a company exec or lawyer would be a useful skillset to have here)
  • Must be media savvy
  • Must have a strong vision and the guts to make potentially unpopular decisions to follow it through (cutting losses appropriately for example)
For me Bell ticks a fair few of these, and given our (admittedly very gradual) improvement since his taking over, I'd say he's earned the right to a bit of time to see where his moves will take us. Don't get me wrong, you have a realistic, better option, I'm all ears, but I think a few are complaining about the meal halfway through it being cooked.
Wasn’t James Clement interested? Anyway, no way would I be sacking Bell.

Midnite65

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Philadelpia 76'ers

• Must know football
  • Must be media savvy
The highest criteria I would pick is ultimate success as a Football Administrator in a GF winning team, i.e. Brian Cook, Neil Balme. If you want to achieve the ultimate you pick the best.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
30 ears ago belly had a paper clipping hung up on his bedroom wall he used to look at before he went for his daily run.
Fremantle were going to join the AFL & he wanted to be a part of it.

Peter Bell might have made a few mistakes but I have no doubt he will learn from them & he has only 1 thing on his agenda.
He wants premiership success more than any of us. So back the * up & give the guy a chance.

purplearmy

Club Legend
Suspended
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
“Give the guy a chance.”

He has been given a chance. Look at the results. How much longer does he need?

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
30 ears ago belly had a paper clipping hung up on his bedroom wall he used to look at before he went for his daily run.

Peter Bell might have made a few mistakes but I have no doubt he will learn from them & he has only 1 thing on his agenda.
He wants premiership success more than any of us. So back the fu** up & give the guy a chance.
I wouldn't get too worried if I was you. The dockers don't hire and fire based on merit.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

He wants premiership success more than any of us. So back the fu** up & give the guy a chance.
I want to snort coke off Scarlett Johansson's breasts. Sometimes our ambitions are not matched by our ability

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Clement was interested in the job that went to Simon Garlic from memory. Not sure if Clement even applied tbh or it could have just been a story?
Simon Garlic is a limp wristed Victorian sent here by the AFL to white ant us 😭 sack garlic thread coming up. We need a president who will sock it to the man..

Back