Peter "Butters" Handscomb

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
The problem for Handscomb is even while in form he looks like he has weakness against quality fast bowling. He'd be a liability in South Africa and because he was never able to really prove himself against spin which was meant to be his strength I can't really see a way back unfortunately.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
The guy's 26. He has more than enough time to rectify his technical/confidence issues and return. Not as a gloveman though surely.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Idiots writing him off, started his career averaging a lot better then most do at their 1st dig.

He has literally gotten out once lbw vs pace bowling and is simply playing too defensively devoid of confidence ATM. He will be back at the expense of Khawaja or Shaun Marsh soon enough.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
No pressure on the lad this test is there!
handscomb2.png

First player to trick his way back into the test team.

"Hey Cam, Boof said you should hide that thing...I reckon there's no way that way those 30 cameras that caught you tampering with the ball would catch you trying to hide a bright yellow piece of tape in your undies, trust me"

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
First player to trick his way back into the test team.

"Hey Cam, Boof said you should hide that thing...I reckon there's no way that way those 30 cameras that caught you tampering with the ball would catch you trying to hide a bright yellow piece of tape in your undies, trust me"
:tearsofjoy:

I wonder who opens battingm surely Bancroft and Warner qre 12th and 13th.

If Starc, Hazkewood and Lyon are found to be complicit, I genuinely wonder what the hell team we're going to put out there.

CA might still try the rug treatment on this one.

hong_kong_bond

Club Legend
Death List Winner
Dec 12, 2006
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bushrangers
No doubt he'll be spoken to by CA officials investigating the matter as to what Lehmann told him on the radio. It shits me how both he and Bancroft have been dragged into this by a bunch of senior members of the set-up who should ******* be ashamed of themselves.

To me, as an investigator, Handscomb is one of the most intriguing people to speak to in the whole saga.
What was the directive he received from Boof over the walkie-talkie?
How exactly was the message relayed to you - and what were you instructed to tell Bancroft?
Was that the first time you had heard about what was happening on the field of play?
What other messages had you received from the coach?
Had you seen the images on the big screen prior to receiving the message from the coach?
If so, had you had any discussions with other support staff members prior to entering the field under direction from the coach?
Who else in the team / support staff overhead this/other conversations you had with the coach?
What did you say to Bancroft when on the field?
What did Bancroft say back to you when you were on the field?
What did you say to the coach when you returned from the field?
Were you aware of the lunchtime "senior group" discussion?
Has this happened before?

An unsavory answer to almost any of these questions sinks Lehmann...and possibly could result in sanctions for Handscomb too.

The cover-up or conspiracy is always worse and results in substantially greater penalties than the underlying crime...

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
To me, as an investigator, Handscomb is one of the most intriguing people to speak to in the whole saga.
How exactly was the message relayed to you - and what were you instructed to tell Bancroft?
Was that the first time you had heard about what was happening on the field of play?
Had you seen the images on the big screen prior to receiving the message from the coach?
If so, had you had any discussions with other support staff members prior to entering the field under direction from the coach?
Who else in the team / support staff overhead this/other conversations you had with the coach?

An unsavory answer to almost any of these questions sinks Lehmann...and possibly could result in sanctions for Handscomb too.

The cover-up or conspiracy is always worse and results in substantially greater penalties than the underlying crime...
That's a lot of questions....

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
I reckon Handscomb would have the best argument out of anyone who has been implicated thus far as being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. No doubt he was naive and foolish to get caught up in the saga and even laugh about it with Bancroft. But I don't think he would have been fully aware of what was going on and would have just been doing what the coach told him as he has to as 12th man.

hong_kong_bond

Club Legend
Death List Winner
Dec 12, 2006
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bushrangers
That's a lot of questions....

From an investigator's point of view - that's just the starting point for one witness. All need to be answered.

Depending on what the answers are to those questions will substantially direct what questions you ask other parties to the saga.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Imagine if that was the first he'd heard of it.
"Hey Pete, can you go see Bancroft and tell him that, errrr, we've seen the tape on the TV cameras"

"Cameron mate, Boof says he's seen the tape on TV. What is this about?"

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
No doubt he'll be spoken to by CA officials investigating the matter as to what Lehmann told him on the radio. It shits me how both he and Bancroft have been dragged into this by a bunch of senior members of the set-up who should ******* be ashamed of themselves.

I doubt he was dragged into it, he would’ve been a willing participant who the leaders trust to cheat or know can or already has done the job.
Khawaja for example would never get dragged into it coz they know he has morals.
Cheaters team up with other cheaters! Stop protecting Bancroft, he is as dodgy as anyone!

Bingle_21

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2006
Tittybong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
:tearsofjoy:

I wonder who opens battingm surely Bancroft and Warner qre 12th and 13th.

If Starc, Hazkewood and Lyon are found to be complicit, I genuinely wonder what the hell team we're going to put out there.

CA might still try the rug treatment on this one.

Given those already in the squad, where guys bat, and those talked about before squad was announced, I would guess something like...

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Handscomb
S.Marsh
M.Marsh
T.Paine (C)
Cummins
Richardson
Sayers
Holland

12th Maxwell

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Given those already in the squad, where guys bat, and those talked about before squad was announced, I would guess something like...

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Handscomb
S.Marsh
M.Marsh
T.Paine (C)
Cummins
Richardson
Sayers
Holland

12th Maxwell
Love to see Koala dropped, Smarsh shifted to 3 and Maxwell 4.

I'd be happy to go with that team for the foreseeable future too if needs be.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Imagine if that was the first he'd heard of it.
"Hey Pete, can you go see Bancroft and tell him that, errrr, we've seen the tape on the TV cameras"

"Cameron mate, Boof says he's seen the tape on TV. What is this about?"

Cameron: 's**t, forgot to take my sex tape with boofs missus out of the dvd player, boof must have found it - s**t ill make up some ball tampering excuse to take the attention away'

hong_kong_bond

Club Legend
Death List Winner
Dec 12, 2006
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bushrangers

Well - none of these appears to have been answered yet.

CA are not reading the situation appropriately if they think they can get away with an outcome that isn't totally transparent and accountable.
Sutherland better lead this properly or he'll find himself on the outer pretty soon, and not of his own volition.

Back