Peter "Butters" Handscomb

Remove this Banner Ad

Warne suggested by picking Handscomb it was throwing “lamb to the slaughter”, believing he doesn’t have the technique to currently play international cricket.

“I would love to be positive about Handscomb. But enough now, it’s not fair on Peter to keep picking him — it’s a lamb to the slaughter,” Warne tweeted on Sunday.

“I’ve said it so many times now, but you cannot play international cricket with a technique like that. Stoinis in if fit if not then M Marsh! “

Handscomb has been LBW six times in his 23 Test innings, with The Cricket Prof. tweeting the Australian No. 5 averages just 5.80 against deliveries from seamers that would have hit or clipped the stumps.

Former Australian captain Allan Border said it would be hard for Handscomb to be successful with his technique, which sees him bat deep in the crease.

“When we first saw Pete Handscomb he played very, very well, a couple years back. Particularly in Australian conditions, let alone he was struggling away from home,” Border told Fox Cricket.

“It just doesn’t feel that he can be successful with that method of being deep in your crease.”

I do wonder why everyone is so wrapped up in the LBW dismissal, he has got out 3/4 times to short balls drawing false shots.
It’s all to do with his technique though, he’s so far back in the crease he really struggles to score off the front foot through the off side, so he relies heavily on scoring between point and third man, which makes him incredibly vulnerable to getting caught behind the wicket which is what we’re seeing this series.

It’s all to do with his technique though, he’s so far back in the crease he really struggles to score off the front foot through the off side, so he relies heavily on scoring between point and third man, which makes him incredibly vulnerable to getting caught behind the wicket which is what we’re seeing this series.
That is great and all but we have seen him nick 1 behind the stumps off a shortish ball he tried to cut, one failed pull shot that went straight up, one lbw decision and a full blooded cut that he was unlucky to be caught from.

He will certainly become a better batsman when he can more regularly switch forward and punch the ball down the ground for runs but his issue for mine right now is that he keeps on playing unnecessary shots and getting himself out, no one would be caring about the 1 lbw decision if he had ducked under those short balls in the 1st test and continued on for a 100.

If anyone has seen his performances this year in the shield/t20/50 overs, they are:
2 lbw
1 b
the rest caught behind the wickets between backward point and keeper. Take away his century and you'll see he has bugger all form.

Last edited:
If anyone has seen his performances this year in the shield/t20/50 overs, they are:
2 lbw
1 b
the rest caught behind the wickets between backward point and keeper. Take away his century and you'll see he has bugger all form.

3 or 4 50s in JLT one day comp this year with an average over 50. And the captain of the winning team. His form has been quite good and his selection was justified.

I suspect he has been working on his T20 and One Day batting but neglected the longer formats. Watching him play shield this year is interesting...no fear and never leaves a ball. He believes he can score on every ball. This is not sensible or possible against good test attacks like India.

The problem with selecting M.Marsh is that he’s only capable on a road. If he was selected in Adelaide and Perth, I highly doubt he would have had any success...just the usual series of single digit innings.

Played well for his 73 in the odi, to go with his 70-off in the T20, right before his test recall. Don't get the hatred really.

Perhaps he should get an extended run in the limited overs formats then, and be left out of the Test side for a bit.

Wasn't a huge fan of his selection in the ODI team, but maybe the selectors are onto something?

We clearly struggle through those middle overs compared to other sides, and with most countries having the two spinners Handscomb, might be able to add something in the middle order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back