Peter "Butters" Handscomb

Remove this Banner Ad

After his dismissal today
760832387dafb0b4faa05dc23da52387.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 2 and half games but after the honeymoon of dominating v Pakistan looking very ordinary in India.
I wouldn't say he's ordinary. Just getting out once he looks like he's almost set. I'd sooner drop Warner.

Footwork is an issue, as well as his tendency to defend deep in the wicket. He's got himself out a few times in bizarre circumstances.

If he's going to keep defending from the back foot, he needs to come out of the crease, so he can get to the pitch of it and smother the balls. Smith, Renshaw and Maxwell have all shown how to play pace and spin in India, it's just up to the other batsmen to follow suit. Handscomb definitely has the technique to do it, but needs to tighten up aspects of his game to consistently perform.

Warner doesn't really have a defensive technique, so he's just going to throw it away no matter what, and Marsh is what Marsh does (say it like Forest Gump).

If Butters can tighten up his game, come forward and use his feet a bit more, he should be able to plunder 50s in the remaining 3 innings.

Big test for Handscomb today, as a right-hander he will be expected to soak up plenty of balls and hopefully get among the runs.

Been a frustrating series for him so far, getting starts, even looking reasonably comfortable, only to get out meekly before contributing anything of significance.
Has to perform today or questions will rightly be asked as to his temperament (and technique).

Big test for Handscomb today, as a right-hander he will be expected to soak up plenty of balls and hopefully get among the runs.

Been a frustrating series for him so far, getting starts, even looking reasonably comfortable, only to get out meekly before contributing anything of significance.
Has to perform today or questions will rightly be asked as to his temperament (and technique).

I think he just needs to look at the performance of Smith and Maxwell. Foot work, defend and punish the loose ones. Above all else, rotate the strike. 2.5rpo is fine, 30%sr is fine, just don't throw it away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back