Peter "Butters" Handscomb

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Not much of a keeper, but a fine fielder and an exception batsman. I can't recall a better debut from a player, already scored 300 runs from 6 innings, averaging 110 at lunch on day 2 and ready to knock his 2nd ton. Absolutely stunning. 6 innings and he's scored 3 50s and 1 century.

Ridiculous.

Not much of a keeper, but a fine fielder and an exception batsman. I can't recall a better debut from a player, already scored 300 runs from 6 innings, averaging 110 at lunch on day 2 and ready to knock his 2nd ton. Absolutely stunning. 6 innings and he's scored 3 50s and 1 century.

Ridiculous.

Clarke hitting 151 in Bangalore on debut, then getting MOTM comes to mind as a fair bit better.

But like I said in the match thread, Handscomb has the potential to be the best #5 in the world in the next few years, good against the quicks obviously, can play the second new ball and excellent against spin.

Ridiculous.

Clarke hitting 151 in Bangalore on debut, then getting MOTM comes to mind as a fair bit better.

But like I said in the match thread, Handscomb has the potential to be the best #5 in the world in the next few years, good against the quicks obviously, can play the second new ball and excellent against spin.

I love what he's produced at Test level so far, but keeping a lid on it at this stage personally; could still yet be the next Adam Voges ... hopefully it's onwards and upwards though, as I love watching him bat!

That was good, then after that series he was a bit dog s**t for a while and was rightfully dropped.

I love what he's produced at Test level so far, but keeping a lid on it at this stage personally; could still yet be the next Adam Voges ... hopefully it's onwards and upwards though, as I love watching him bat!

I'll take a test average of 61.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most misleading stat of all-time. Feasted on the weak Windies and NZ on pitches resembling the Hume Highway and did nothing, NOTHING, of note when the going ever got tough.

Will keep a lid on Handscomb for now. Lots of Aussie batsmen look a million bucks at home then go to water overseas. India will be a huge test for him. Can't complain with what he's produced so far though.

I think if he plays 50-60 tests with and average around 45-50 that would be a solid return.

I think he is a bit better that on current form as long as he isnt forced to keep.

While its nice he's averaging 100, his FC career suggests thats his true form is around 50 ish

The key difference between Handscomb and Voges is age.

In 2016 there was clear evidence that Voge's eye and reflexes had gone and was holding him back from scoring.

That obviously shouldn't be an issue any time soon for a 25 year old

Agreed, people were raving about Burns and Voges last year and look what happened. Handscomb has obviously done very well this summer, more then you could ask for but it's hard to figure out if a player is up to it on our wickets.

All I want to see is a couple of good innings from him and Renshaw in India and that will be enough to sell me on them long term. Can't expect miracles from them despite their start but seeing something in the vein of Smith's 92 for example would go a long way.

Agreed, people were raving about Burns and Voges last year and look what happened. Handscomb has obviously done very well this summer, more then you could ask for but it's hard to figure out if a player is up to it on our wickets.

All I want to see is a couple of good innings from him and Renshaw in India and that will be enough to sell me on them long term. Can't expect miracles from them despite their start but seeing something in the vein of Smith's 92 for example would go a long way.

bang on.
not expecting run feasts either, just a bit of fight from both Handscomb and Renshaw in foreign conditions.
happy for the selectors to continue showing faith in them, but things will get a whole lot tougher very soon.

He'll be the perfect player to point to in the future when you want to argue that stats are overrated.

I don't think he was horric/a fraud like some people come out with but he was certainly no Chris Rogers despite the difference in average.

The problem was that last years easy 8 Test period at home and then in NZ was the perfectly time to blood new players BUT Handscomb/Renshaw were even less ready then they are now which would've made that a bad idea. We're probably fortunate Pakistan have been poor this tour (helped by some typical flat wickets) that will give the new guys confidence at the very least going into India.

I think if he plays 50-60 tests with and average around 45-50 that would be a solid return.

I think he is a bit better that on current form as long as he isnt forced to keep.

While its nice he's averaging 100, his FC career suggests thats his true form is around 50 ish
Well yes he isn't Bradman

Hard marker Dayan, 60 Tests @45 would be more than solid.

I think in this era 45-50 is almost a pass mark for an international batsman.

Border, Gavaskar, Miandad and v. Richards were about the only batsmen averaging 50 plus in their era.

Now almost every team has a couple.

Fitness, running, bat technology, better pitches and drainage as well as some limitations on bowlers has seen this gradually increase.

I think a sustained average over 55 is now a measure of "greatness"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back