Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Wil Hickmott is birthday is 11-12-2000, so he can be excused for his non-selection in the U18 squad. All his exposed form from 2017 he was still 16 years old. As a comparison Liam who is 17 months older was the standout player in the Colts this year and at the same age Wil has had as good a season statistically and his testing and age would give him some percieved upside.

Will and Liam would be handy rookies or NB pickups at worst.

Ben on the other hand..imo I wouldn't pick him up. But his last name will get him on to the rookie list at worst I reckon.

Will and Liam would be handy rookies or NB pickups at worst.

Ben on the other hand..imo I wouldn't pick him up. But his last name will get him on to the rookie list at worst I reckon.
I think you are underselling BSOS. He will be the type of defender we are crying out for, allowing Weiters & Marchy to do what they do well. A bit of patience will be needed though.

I think you are underselling BSOS. He will be the type of defender we are crying out for, allowing Weiters & Marchy to do what they do well. A bit of patience will be needed though.
Only he's shown next to nothing at state level and in the tac cup.

If he gets chosen it's nepotism without a doubt.

Or the evaluation of talent is complex and when you’re down towards the back end of the draft you’re looking more at potential than anything. BSos has enough potential.

Nepotism is a bold accusation. The club may like the name and the membership boost it may offer but then that’s a business decision more than nepotism already. Regardless of the kids talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or the evaluation of talent is complex and when you’re down towards the back end of the draft you’re looking more at potential than anything. BSos has enough potential.

Nepotism is a bold accusation. The club may like the name and the membership boost it may offer but then that’s a business decision more than nepotism already. Regardless of the kids talent.
Not really that bold. He hasn't played anywhere near the standard (bar 1 or 2 tac games) to get drafted but he most likely will getting picked.

Why? And no it's not his potential.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Whereas the hickmont boys have played consistently all year at an above average output. They should get looked at imo.

Not really that bold. He hasn't played anywhere near the standard (bar 1 or 2 tac games) to get drafted but he most likely will getting picked.

Whereas the hickmont boys have played consistently all year at an above average output. They should get looked at imo.
Labelling a wrong opinion as unpopular, like you’re the bringer of some hard truth.. give me a break mate. How bout address the other part of my response too. BSos has clear potential, it’s as far fairly untapped but who tf cares. The intrigue and potential membership benefits are worth it, especially at the back end of the draft where it’s all based on potential anyway...

Plus if you can’t see Bens potential then you need to re evaluate your ability to judge a players natural skill. Whether it’ll ever come to fruition is where the debate should be, not whether or not he has reasonable potential.

It’s Hickmott!

BSOS will be a champion. Just my opinion. Doesn’t make it wrong.

Got a foot in both camps on this one.
It's clear he's not done a lot at the current level, but as some have suggested, he might not be burning all his petrol tickets. Remember Jack had a couple of 18's games where has some highlights and all of a sudden the media are saying he could be SOS II.

The father son rule is institutionalised nepotism. It's designed for clubs to pick people because of their surname, it's all part of the drama and romance of the sport. I'm ok with using the system if there's is potential for the kid to be a worth the risk for the price paid.

I do worry though that some father son names might get an inside running they don't deserve or, frankly, should want. The spotlight on Jack has been enormous to the point that it must make it stressful for him.

Ockhams Razor has already stated that Ben will be drafted as much for the marketing opportunity as his ability to play the game. I don't know how accurate that opinion is but it's a bridge too far for me. And what if that's relayed to Ben or his team mates?
It's one thing for Facebook heroes and keyboard warriors to say you only on the list because you can sell memberships it another thing entirely for that message to come from the club.

I just hope the kid can play .

Labelling a wrong opinion as unpopular, like you’re the bringer of some hard truth.. give me a break mate. How bout address the other part of my response too. BSos has clear potential, it’s as far fairly untapped but who tf cares. The intrigue and potential membership benefits are worth it, especially at the back end of the draft where it’s all based on potential anyway...

Plus if you can’t see Bens potential then you need to re evaluate your ability to judge a players natural skill. Whether it’ll ever come to fruition is where the debate should be, not whether or not he has reasonable potential.
How many games have you watched him play? How do you see potential?

When I watch him play I see not a great mark, not a great kick, someone not strong enough to mix it with the big boys and not fast enough to mix it with anyone smaller. He's also not a big possession getter.

Please tell me more about his potential from the total of 0 games you've watched him play.

And to your other point, how many people would honestly jump online and buy a new membership because he gets drafted? Give me a break..

When I watch him play I see not a great mark, not a great kick, someone not strong enough to mix it with the big boys and not fast enough to mix it with anyone smaller. He's also not a big possession getter.

Please tell me more about his potential from the total of 0 games you've watched him play.

And to your other point, how many people would honestly jump online and buy a new membership because he gets drafted? Give me a break..
He’s clean, reads the ball well, has good instincts and patterns and has a reasonable mark. His burst pace is better than his brothers. It’s mainly potential with him, not performance. It’s all ifs (as it is with most young guys) but in an afl system with some strong pre seasons behind him the issues you see could mostly be ironed out as they’re based fairly strongly in the physical aspects of the game.

As for being a rude twat, take it easy and don’t assume I know nothing because my opinion differs to yours. Peace.

You’ve made your point. It’s getting tiresome. Let’s just see what happens.

He’s clean, reads the ball well, has good instincts and patterns and has a reasonable mark. His burst pace is better than his brothers. It’s mainly potential with him, not performance. It’s all ifs (as it is with most young guys) but in an afl system with some strong pre seasons behind him the issues you see could mostly be ironed out as they’re based fairly strongly in the physical aspects of the game.

As for being a rude twat, take it easy and don’t assume I know nothing because my opinion differs to yours. Peace.
Really wasn't trying to be rude (in fact go back and look in the mirror.)

I'm just saying I could name a few blokes who I would take before him late in the draft, and if his name wasn't silvagni he wouldn't even be in consideration (not just for our club).

Nepotism? At a professional football club which turns over in excess of $50 million a year? Some people.

FWIW he only played 4 TAC Cup games due to school footy commitments & injury, & he showed some good signs in defence for Vic Metro.

Really wasn't trying to be rude (in fact go back and look in the mirror.)

I'm just saying I could name a few blokes who I would take before him late in the draft, and if his name wasn't silvagni he wouldn't even be in consideration (not just for our club).
Name any true KPP prospects likely to be available at pick 60 or later that are apparently so far ahead of BSos that no club would even be considering him (let alone even picking him) that late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back