Pafloyul

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2004
Somewhere else
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Archi 16.8 the last 4 weeks. 13 marks in that time. He’s 186 cm. Maybe he can be our next Andrew Walker.
I dispute the 186 cm; if you google his name there's a picture of the family, which looks to have been taken before this season, and he's noticeably taller than either his father or brother.

Last edited:

Red_man2008

Debutant
Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
I dispute the 186 cm; if you google his name there's a picture of the family, that looks to have been taken before this season, and he's a fair bit taller than either his father or brother.
Apparently knightmare thinks it’s more to do with his weight/body size/maturity. He beats up on U18 kids due to this. Sounds like he doesn’t think he will make it unless as a rookie. I don’t know why I asked him he did give Carlton a D rating on last trade/draft period and thought Walsh wasn’t as good as he’s proven to be.

Robbo's my hero

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2007
Sunbury
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Apparently knightmare thinks it’s more to do with his weight/body size/maturity. He beats up on U18 kids due to this. Sounds like he doesn’t think he will make it unless as a rookie. I don’t know why I asked him he did give Carlton a D rating on last trade/draft period and thought Walsh wasn’t as good as he’s proven to be.
You know I thinks that’s rubbish. Maturity etc as a teenager. I remember seeing Tom Hawkins in a TAC final at Carlton. Robbo occasionally turned up to those events in the old days. Hawkins dominated mainly due to his ‘maturity’ as an 18 year old behemoth. He then battled for a number of years to establish himself as a senior footballer. I haven’t seen Manton but I wouldn’t dismiss him on the basis that he’s bigger than the other lads.

mediumsizered

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
The great thing about Archi is that he has shown so much growth in his game as this season has progressed. Early in the season it was 1 or 2 goals at best, but as you have noted it has been 16 goals in the last 4 weeks. Having only really decided to focus on footy this season, he has come a long way in a short time & has really put himself into draft calculations.

Bostonian

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
So like Worpel did at junior level...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
His reply was quite rude actually and disrespectful to the Carlton football club. I think he’s upset he got it completely wrong with Walsh and he’s lost a bit of industry respect as a result.
Knightmare has strong opinions and while Walsh has had an outstanding year there are no guarantees he will be the best player in the draft. He rated Lukosius as the best junior he had ever seen and any decision not to take him as a massive mistake. It is his opinion and doesn't have to apologise for it. It is not one I agree with but can't we just let people ( Kane Corners included) have their opinions without being outraged they are different to ours? Don't like his opinions then don't ask him questions.

He was big enough to admit he was wrong on CC and HMcK 3 year after he panned our drafting in 2015.

Red_man2008

Debutant
Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Knightmare has strong opinions and while Walsh has had an outstanding year there are no guarantees he will be the best player in the draft. He rated Lukosius as the best junior he had ever seen and any decision not to take him as a massive mistake. It is his opinion and doesn't have to apologise for it. It is not one I agree with but can't we just let people ( Kane Corners included) have their opinions without being outraged they are different to ours? Don't like his opinions then don't ask him questions.

He was big enough to admit he was wrong on CC and HMcK 3 year after he panned our drafting in 2015.
Lol. Kane Cornes included. Have a laugh. The guy spent Friday night writing back handed compliments for Walsh comparing him to Lewis Taylor. The guy’s doesn’t actually have an opinion. He writes click-bait pieces deliberately for the reaction. Negative media is still media. That’s his only opinion. IMO he’s a flog.

On archi. No way can you bring him down with his limited exposure in the system so far. Comparing him to a failed forward and at best will be tagger. lol. That’s just bull s**t. After calling him out on the limited experience he has in the game so far he has pulled back slightly because he didn’t even know. Which means his opinion is only based on limited viewing of his stature so far without delving into his history in the U18 program. As a carlton father son I understand he wouldn’t give two s**ts about checking his facts.

Arr0w

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

I too think Lukosius will be the best player in that draft and Smith the best mid sized player

But to call the selection of Walsh ahead of either of those 2 boys, as a mistake is just so wrong

Walsh was the best "bust proof" 18 year old I have seen in over 2 decades, he will have a long successful career, that in itself warrants a pick 1 selection

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I too think Lukosius will be the best player in that draft and Smith the best mid sized player

But to call the selection of Walsh ahead of either of those 2 boys, as a mistake is just so wrong

Walsh was the best "bust proof" 18 year old I have seen in over 2 decades, he will have a long successful career, that in itself warrants a pick 1 selection
That is the whole point. It is his opinion. We don't have to agree with it. If the only reason to take Walsh number 1 is because he was more bust proof than players we think will (not could)be better, then I would say then it was a mistake.

FWIW I don't think this the case and I was taking Walsh no1 every time off my limited draft watching.

Arr0w

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
That is the whole point. It is his opinion. We don't have to agree with it. If the only reason to take Walsh number 1 is because he was more bust proof than players we think will (not could)be better, then I would say then it was a mistake.

FWIW I don't think this the case and I was taking Walsh no1 every time off my limited draft watching.
Have always said it is impossible to pick the best player at every pick, it is a bonus if you do and if a recruiter has a better than 60% strike rate, then they are in the top bracket of identifiers. Personally, what is more important is reducing your bust. I think there are only 3 players left in the system, from our drafting between 2007 - 2014, staggering really

Canyouhearthedrums

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
One would have though that Sam Walsh talent was fairly obvious even to the most obtuse and stubborn critic.
I’m looking forward to the next couple of years as Sam just rips it up, one of the best youngsters we seen for over a decade.
That’s the rub. The actual professional recruiters had him unanimously no 1. Easy to stick your neck out when you’re an amateur masquerading as a pro but boy can you look ridiculous.

Top Bottom