Official Club Stuff Peter Dean Father Son Academy Launched 30th June 2015

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bigm386

Premiership Player
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
The system is a joke Chris Johnson's son is in Essendon's academy. Farcical from the AFL once again.
Well the exact same thing happened with Blakey to the Swans. Father played 100+ games with two clubs. But ended up in the Swans academy based on the fact he is from a rugby state :/

The AFL is an amature run competition that's the reality.

Jimmae

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tennessee Titans, Tottenham Hotspur

So this officially states that Cameron Wild and Sunny Brazier are our 2019 NGA prospects.
Great news!
How did Wild go towards the end of the season, he was progressing ell at the start but then the reports dried up.
I suspect the reason for this is that he stopped getting tagged as 'Cameron Wild' and was instead tagged as 'Cam Wild' by AFL Draft Central. :p

I can't understand how wild qualifies anyway, didn't his dad play for Collingwood?
Not enough games for F/S.

ferrisb

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2011
The Naughty Corner
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure where your issue lies, Johnson is a part of the Bombers academy based on where he lives.
The issue is this isn't supposed to be zone recruiting.

Officially it's supposed to attract kids, families and communities that wouldn't have found their way into the elite football pathway. Spreading the good word of Aussie Rules so to speak.

I hardly think the son of Chris Johnson needs that kind of encouragement to play AFL.

Unofficially the whole NGA system only exists to stop teams bitching about the Northern States' academies.

Just like everything with the AFL, it's complete horeshit. And everyone knows it's horeshit. And the AFL knows that everyone knows. And everyone knows the AFL knows..... But they just sweep it under the carpet and pretend everything is legit.

Burgers45

Witnessed 8 flags
Apr 1, 2011
Mornington Peninsula, Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
I've heard Glen Manton's son Archi is a very good young player. Apparently an ex basketballer turned AFL, into a midfielder who is highly rated in NAB League. Good potential for the future. Is there any chance he might be given a rookie spot?

DangerousD

Formerly 'dangerousdane'
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
The issue is this isn't supposed to be zone recruiting.

Officially it's supposed to attract kids, families and communities that wouldn't have found their way into the elite football pathway. Spreading the good word of Aussie Rules so to speak.

I hardly think the son of Chris Johnson needs that kind of encouragement to play AFL.

Unofficially the whole NGA system only exists to stop teams bitching about the Northern States' academies.

Just like everything with the AFL, it's complete hores**t. And everyone knows it's hores**t. And the AFL knows that everyone knows. And everyone knows the AFL knows..... But they just sweep it under the carpet and pretend everything is legit.
Mostly agree. I do like the idea of kids getting first crack at the clubs in their home state though, I’m sure the rules regarding the academies will change,just as we are in line to get a top talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ferrisb

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2011
The Naughty Corner
AFL Club
Carlton
I've heard Glen Manton's son Archi is a very good young player. Apparently an ex basketballer turned AFL, into a midfielder who is highly rated in NAB League. Good potential for the future. Is there any chance he might be given a rookie spot?
Pretty sure he is a big bodied, medium fwd (at the moment). Not many AFL prototypes. Maybe a shorter Jack Darling or if Christian Petracca played as a power forward?

A bit of a one-trick pony.... He marks (often after a one-on-one) and kicks goals. I've read he's hard to budge when sitting under the ball. But it's a good trick.

Will need to improve fitness (and slim down?) to make it further. But he is very raw, having only recently concentrated on footy. Something to work with.

He improved as the year went on, so that's a good sign. He'd be a rookie at best, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play as an over ager next year.

Sep 27, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Pretty sure he is a big bodied, medium fwd (at the moment). Not many AFL prototypes. Maybe a shorter Jack Darling or if Christian Petracca played as a power forward?

A bit of a one-trick pony.... He marks (often after a one-on-one) and kicks goals. I've read he's hard to budge when sitting under the ball. But it's a good trick.

Will need to improve fitness (and slim down?) to make it further. But he is very raw, having only recently concentrated on footy. Something to work with.

He improved as the year went on, so that's a good sign. He'd be a rookie at best, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play as an over ager next year.
How many times did you watch him play this year?
Have you looked at his vision or statistics?
Did you stand next to him-appreciate his size and physique?
I only ask as I’d like to appreciate where your focused opinions originate?

Nov 8, 2000
Ask me tomorrow
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cronulla, Dallas Cowboys, Forest
Hi Mants

Hope Arch is a chip off the old bolt.

ferrisb

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2011
The Naughty Corner
AFL Club
Carlton
I should have qualified my post. I have not seen him live.

I have seen some western jets footage and some highlights. My profile of him is based mostly what I have read on here plus some web articles. I am the classic 'youtube recruiter'.

I have not stood next to him to appreciate his size and physique. But that would be pretty useless as I could stand next to Caleb Daniel and be intimidated by his size and build....

BigFrizz36

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Well the exact same thing happened with Blakey to the Swans. Father played 100+ games with two clubs. But ended up in the Swans academy based on the fact he is from a rugby state :/

The AFL is an amature run competition that's the reality.
Not sure if Blakely is a good example. Was eligible for all three clubs but nominated swans primarily because he has lived there for a long time and his father coaches there.

beowulf

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2009
Golden Square
AFL Club
Carlton
By the looks of the quantity of names on for most other teams, either we have a crap region, aren't working hard enough or are very selective.
We didn't get a great area. The whole things is biased towards the teams that have large aboriginal populations in their zones.
Our zone contains very few, compared to most.

DangerousD

Formerly 'dangerousdane'
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
We didn't get a great area. The whole things is biased towards the teams that have large aboriginal populations in their zones.
Our zone contains very few, compared to most.
You clearly have no idea of the criteria for the NGA or our zone, as our zone is heavily populated by migrants and has a very diverse range of nationalities. If the academy was in place one year earlier, we would have got Gresham, our time will come if we put the time and effort in to the academy.

mediumsizered

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
You clearly have no idea of the criteria for the NGA or our zone, as our zone is heavily populated by migrants and has a very diverse range of nationalities. If the academy was in place one year earlier, we would have got Gresham, our time will come if we put the time and effort in to the academy.
The battle is getting the children of migrants to take up footy. There are so many other options available for them on the sporting field or in non-sport activities. It's a lot different to when the children of Italian migrants settling in Carlton wanted to have a kick of the footy in the 1950s & 1960s. In contrast, indigenous kids are more likely to be influenced by the exploits of Daniel Rioli, Liam Ryan, SPS, Sydney Stack etc to want to take up footy.

DangerousD

Formerly 'dangerousdane'
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
The battle is getting the children of migrants to take up footy. There are so many other options available for them on the sporting field or in non-sport activities. It's a lot different to when the children of Italian migrants settling in Carlton wanted to have a kick of the footy in the 1950s & 1960s. In contrast, indigenous kids are more likely to be influenced by the exploits of Daniel Rioli, Liam Ryan, SPS, Sydney Stack etc to want to take up footy.
Our zone is currently going through a population boom with new estates popping up all over the place and a massive increase in density in the closer suburbs. All of this will take a long time to filter through to the Knights. The Knights haven't won a flag in over 25 years and recently have been poor, which is not helping our chances.

I get your point about indigenous kids more likely to take up AFL, our zone has a very large population, at a guess in excess of 500,000 and the eligibility of the academies is quite broad. Im Australian born a bred, my wife moved here when she was 6, my son is now aligned with the Blues purely because her background isn't English.

Hopefully we are putting a lot of work in to the NGA and i think it will pay us back eventually.

Top Bottom