Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Father Son Developement Academy

From the CFC website .........

Back to the future for Academy kids

No surprise then that the sons of Carlton’s 100-game footballers - the likes of Dorotich, Rice, Sexton, Silvagni and Williams - seemed to fit hand in glove as they trained at Visy Park this week, as invitees to the club’s newly-established father/son academy program.

academy-jan-11-350-4.jpg

Standing from left to right, Joel Madden (son of Justin),
Jordan Dorotich (son of Jon), Mitchell Gleeson (son of Adrian),
Jack Meldrum (son of Paul), Bailey Rice (son of Dean).

Kneeling are Billy Alvin (son of Tom), Charly Williams (son of Greg),
Joseph Sexton (son of Michael) and Jack Silvagni (son of Stephen).

academy-jan-11-350-3.jpg

Charly Williams fires off a handball on Carlton’s no.1 oval

academy-jan-11-350-1.jpg

Max Hanna, son of the 1995 Carlton premiership player
Milham Hanna, in action at the Visy Park redevelopment.

academy-jan-11-350-2.jpg

Chris Judd addresses his captive audience as
Rod Ashman watches on intently.

Back to the future for Academy kids

Took me a while to find it, but Jack turned 13 in December, Ben will turn 11 in May, and Tom will turn 9 in September.

Jack plays his junior footy at Greythorn. Included in his team are the sons of SOS Daicos and Graham Wright. Pretty imposing pedigrees for a kid stepping out against them

I was hoping Paul Meldrum's boy was just going to walk into the club once he turns 18 and ask for a game and keep the family tradition going.

Madden jnr palming it down to Williams jnr has a nice ring to it as well.

I'll give up Alpha's first born if we can have Dorotich, Silvagni and Sexton playing together again.

Fancy Meldrum's son being taller than the sons of Madden and Dorotich who were big men.

Which one is Blue Pride? :confused:

I was thinking more on the lines of which one is Bluepride's brother/s :p

Jack plays his junior footy at Greythorn. Included in his team are the sons of SOS Daicos and Graham Wright. Pretty imposing pedigrees for a kid stepping out against them

That is very common knowledge around these parts GC & the fact that SOS lives in Balwyn North.

http://www.greythornfalcons.com.au/teams/u13s.html

I think you will find that Josh Daicos is a yr younger than Jack.

Jack played in the under 13's last year & Josh in the under 12's

http://www.greythornfalcons.com.au/teams/u12s.html

Graham Wright's son played in the under 11's in 2010

http://www.greythornfalcons.com.au/teams/u11s.html

LOL I just saw my nephews name in one of the teams :cool:

If nothing else it gets some past champions hanging around the club again.

Good move by the club!

Good to see SOS was at the Club today.

Now that is a positive AD :thumbsu:

From the Thursday Update email I received earlier .........

What a sight for Carlton supporters at Visy Park this week with a number of Carlton premiership players returning to their former home ground.

Andrew McKay, Adrian Gleeson, Stephen Silvagni :thumbsu:, Greg Williams, Paul Meldrum, Matthew Hogg, Michael Sexton, Mil Hanna, Glenn Manton, Jon Dorotich, Dean Rice and Tom Alvin were among the former Carlton stars at Visy Park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow... are the only words that come to mind.

What a program to have, this will do wonders for up and coming sons who might one day don the blue.

Got wonder what if... :(

Wow... are the only words that come to mind.

What a program to have, this will do wonders for up and coming sons who might one day don the blue.

Got wonder what if... :(

There is nothing to wonder about... if the kids are good enough, they will all pull on the famous old dark navy blue and run out to be champions.

There was never a doubt about SOS's boys being a part of the blues despite all the supposed rifts between SOS and the club... Old Serge would have a few words to say if the buys went to another club.

Interesting to see the heights of some of the boys. If I remember rightly, Simon was only about 198cm while Justin was around 206? If Justin's son only ends up as tall as his uncle, I will be quite happy :D

This is the first I have heard of the program (whatever you want to call it) but thats the thing Dramoth its not just the skill level that will determine if these kids will play AFL and this assumption (no offence) I cringe at every time I hear it.

Good to see SOS was at the Club today.

Now that is a positive AD :thumbsu:

From the Thursday Update email I received earlier .........
Seeing all those names... seriously giving em shivers...

SOS being present is the best news I have heard all year...

Imagine a team of

McKay Jrn - Silvagni Jnr 1 - Sexton Jr
Dean Jrn - Manton Jrn - Hanna Jrn
Kouta Jrn - Rice Jrn - Bradley Jrn
Silvagni Jr 2 - Silvagni Jr 3 - Hogg Jrn
Ratten Jrn 2 -
Madden Jrn - Williams Jrn - Ratten Jrn 1

If only sticks has boys

thats the 1995 premiership team right there

The Silvagni boys would no doubt be the biggest reason why your club will want to smoke the peace pipe with with SOS in the not to distant future.

The oldest is only a few years from the time when it should be apparent whether he may have the talent to make it.

I know the relationship is still frosty so interesting to see if things change

The presence of SOS & his son Jack at the launch of this initiative would tend to suggest the recent warm weather has gone some way towards thawing the frosty relationship which you continue to make reference to (methinks you might not be as in the know as you would want us to believe).

I think the club has noticed a few things and they are:

1. Over the last 10 or 20 years it's hard to find a premiership winning side with out at least 1 father son. They seem to be the thing that makes good teams great teams.

2. We've seen a few reasonable father sons go by that haven't been quite good enough like Sheldon at the Lions and IIRC Walls had a kid at the club some time ago. Perhaps the club thinks that they can get in and develop these guys early and turn these guys who are average into better players and steals in the draft.

3. Perhaps there are a hell of a lot of father sons out there who are reasonable and the club can see us cashing in on some real talent and we could accelerate the progress of these guys so they are ready to go early by getting onto them now. They are the only kids out there that are guaranteed to us so why not!

This might be a great way to stop that fluctuating cycle caused by the draft where teams are constantly rising and falling over time. This also might stop the odd father son not wanting to go to the club like Murphy did with brisbane, or perhaps if we need them to not nominate when first eligable so we can get other players they will go with that. I think we wanted Sheldon to hold back.

Also those wondering about their size, I wouldn't look too much into it, IIRC Waite grew at least a foot after he was 16 I recon.

This is an excellent move from the club!

Seeing all those names... seriously giving em shivers...

SOS being present is the best news I have heard all year...

Imagine a team of

McKay Jrn - Silvagni Jnr 1 - Sexton Jr
Dean Jrn - Manton Jrn - Hanna Jrn
Kouta Jrn - Rice Jrn - Bradley Jrn
Silvagni Jr 2 - Silvagni Jr 3 - Hogg Jrn
Ratten Jrn 2 -
Madden Jrn - Williams Jrn - Ratten Jrn 1

If only sticks has boys

thats the 1995 premiership team right there

Pretty sure he only has girls :(

I think this is a fantastic initiative by the club - However, I wonder if it only extends to Carlton father son prospects?

If not .. then I think we should include Chris Johnson in the under 15's training session so that he can learn the basics of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back