Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Sep 5, 2013
Chirnside Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Hey guys do we now if any other father sons kids have kicked on besides SOS? Was just checking out this list from when we opened our fathers son academy back in 2015

Attachments

• A21F1EED-DBE5-4E38-8EB4-86280E1FBEF3.png
    A21F1EED-DBE5-4E38-8EB4-86280E1FBEF3.png
    498.2 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Hey guys do we now if any other father sons kids have kicked on besides SOS? Was just checking out this list from when we opened our fathers son academy back in 2015
Oskar and Jake wound up on Northern supplementary lists, Jake wasn't up to the grade unfortunately. Archi is in the mix this year, as mentioned.

Bailey is obviously now with the Saints, but not much chop. Jack & Ben look like great prospects, and Dylan goes alright, and honestly could have been a good player under better development and injury management programs than the ones he copped coming to the club with ankle issues.

Will Hickmott probably would have wound up on the Northern list last season if he wasn't WA-based... aside from Liam Hickmott, I'm not sure any other names have reached under 18s yet?

AT97

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I can't understand how wild qualifies anyway, didn't his dad play for Collingwood?

His dad's a Collingwood player?

I guess Wild qualifies as growing up in a house where no one speaks English properly...... ;)

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
The system is a joke Chris Johnson's son is in Essendon's academy. Farcical from the AFL once again.

Well the exact same thing happened with Blakey to the Swans. Father played 100+ games with two clubs. But ended up in the Swans academy based on the fact he is from a rugby state :/

The AFL is an amature run competition that's the reality.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

So this officially states that Cameron Wild and Sunny Brazier are our 2019 NGA prospects.
Great news!
How did Wild go towards the end of the season, he was progressing ell at the start but then the reports dried up.
I suspect the reason for this is that he stopped getting tagged as 'Cameron Wild' and was instead tagged as 'Cam Wild' by AFL Draft Central. :p

I can't understand how wild qualifies anyway, didn't his dad play for Collingwood?
Not enough games for F/S.

Not sure where your issue lies, Johnson is a part of the Bombers academy based on where he lives.

The issue is this isn't supposed to be zone recruiting.

Officially it's supposed to attract kids, families and communities that wouldn't have found their way into the elite football pathway. Spreading the good word of Aussie Rules so to speak.

I hardly think the son of Chris Johnson needs that kind of encouragement to play AFL.

Unofficially the whole NGA system only exists to stop teams bitching about the Northern States' academies.

Just like everything with the AFL, it's complete horeshit. And everyone knows it's horeshit. And the AFL knows that everyone knows. And everyone knows the AFL knows..... But they just sweep it under the carpet and pretend everything is legit.

Burgers45

Witnessed 8 flags
Apr 1, 2011
Mornington Peninsula, Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
I've heard Glen Manton's son Archi is a very good young player. Apparently an ex basketballer turned AFL, into a midfielder who is highly rated in NAB League. Good potential for the future. Is there any chance he might be given a rookie spot?

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
The issue is this isn't supposed to be zone recruiting.

Officially it's supposed to attract kids, families and communities that wouldn't have found their way into the elite football pathway. Spreading the good word of Aussie Rules so to speak.

I hardly think the son of Chris Johnson needs that kind of encouragement to play AFL.

Unofficially the whole NGA system only exists to stop teams bitching about the Northern States' academies.

Just like everything with the AFL, it's complete hores**t. And everyone knows it's hores**t. And the AFL knows that everyone knows. And everyone knows the AFL knows..... But they just sweep it under the carpet and pretend everything is legit.

Mostly agree. I do like the idea of kids getting first crack at the clubs in their home state though, I’m sure the rules regarding the academies will change,just as we are in line to get a top talent

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
How did Wild go towards the end of the season, he was progressing ell at the start but then the reports dried up.
His form did taper off in the latter part of the season, although in games I did see later in the season he was spending less time in the midfield. This may have been a contributing factor.

I've heard Glen Manton's son Archi is a very good young player. Apparently an ex basketballer turned AFL, into a midfielder who is highly rated in NAB League. Good potential for the future. Is there any chance he might be given a rookie spot?

Pretty sure he is a big bodied, medium fwd (at the moment). Not many AFL prototypes. Maybe a shorter Jack Darling or if Christian Petracca played as a power forward?

A bit of a one-trick pony.... He marks (often after a one-on-one) and kicks goals. I've read he's hard to budge when sitting under the ball. But it's a good trick.

Will need to improve fitness (and slim down?) to make it further. But he is very raw, having only recently concentrated on footy. Something to work with.

He improved as the year went on, so that's a good sign. He'd be a rookie at best, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play as an over ager next year.

Sep 27, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Pretty sure he is a big bodied, medium fwd (at the moment). Not many AFL prototypes. Maybe a shorter Jack Darling or if Christian Petracca played as a power forward?

A bit of a one-trick pony.... He marks (often after a one-on-one) and kicks goals. I've read he's hard to budge when sitting under the ball. But it's a good trick.

Will need to improve fitness (and slim down?) to make it further. But he is very raw, having only recently concentrated on footy. Something to work with.

He improved as the year went on, so that's a good sign. He'd be a rookie at best, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play as an over ager next year.

How many times did you watch him play this year?
Have you looked at his vision or statistics?
Did you stand next to him-appreciate his size and physique?
I only ask as I’d like to appreciate where your focused opinions originate?

Hi Mants

Hope Arch is a chip off the old bolt.

I should have qualified my post. I have not seen him live.

I have seen some western jets footage and some highlights. My profile of him is based mostly what I have read on here plus some web articles. I am the classic 'youtube recruiter'.

I have not stood next to him to appreciate his size and physique. But that would be pretty useless as I could stand next to Caleb Daniel and be intimidated by his size and build....

Back