Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the exact same thing happened with Blakey to the Swans. Father played 100+ games with two clubs. But ended up in the Swans academy based on the fact he is from a rugby state :/

The AFL is an amature run competition that's the reality.
Not sure if Blakely is a good example. Was eligible for all three clubs but nominated swans primarily because he has lived there for a long time and his father coaches there.

How many times did you watch him play this year?
Have you looked at his vision or statistics?
Did you stand next to him-appreciate his size and physique?
I only ask as I’d like to appreciate where your focused opinions originate?

Hey Glenn is your boy any good?

By the looks of the quantity of names on for most other teams, either we have a crap region, aren't working hard enough or are very selective.
We didn't get a great area. The whole things is biased towards the teams that have large aboriginal populations in their zones.
Our zone contains very few, compared to most.

We didn't get a great area. The whole things is biased towards the teams that have large aboriginal populations in their zones.
Our zone contains very few, compared to most.

You clearly have no idea of the criteria for the NGA or our zone, as our zone is heavily populated by migrants and has a very diverse range of nationalities. If the academy was in place one year earlier, we would have got Gresham, our time will come if we put the time and effort in to the academy.

You clearly have no idea of the criteria for the NGA or our zone, as our zone is heavily populated by migrants and has a very diverse range of nationalities. If the academy was in place one year earlier, we would have got Gresham, our time will come if we put the time and effort in to the academy.
The battle is getting the children of migrants to take up footy. There are so many other options available for them on the sporting field or in non-sport activities. It's a lot different to when the children of Italian migrants settling in Carlton wanted to have a kick of the footy in the 1950s & 1960s. In contrast, indigenous kids are more likely to be influenced by the exploits of Daniel Rioli, Liam Ryan, SPS, Sydney Stack etc to want to take up footy.

The battle is getting the children of migrants to take up footy. There are so many other options available for them on the sporting field or in non-sport activities. It's a lot different to when the children of Italian migrants settling in Carlton wanted to have a kick of the footy in the 1950s & 1960s. In contrast, indigenous kids are more likely to be influenced by the exploits of Daniel Rioli, Liam Ryan, SPS, Sydney Stack etc to want to take up footy.

Our zone is currently going through a population boom with new estates popping up all over the place and a massive increase in density in the closer suburbs. All of this will take a long time to filter through to the Knights. The Knights haven't won a flag in over 25 years and recently have been poor, which is not helping our chances.

I get your point about indigenous kids more likely to take up AFL, our zone has a very large population, at a guess in excess of 500,000 and the eligibility of the academies is quite broad. Im Australian born a bred, my wife moved here when she was 6, my son is now aligned with the Blues purely because her background isn't English.

Hopefully we are putting a lot of work in to the NGA and i think it will pay us back eventually.

Our zone is currently going through a population boom with new estates popping up all over the place and a massive increase in density in the closer suburbs. All of this will take a long time to filter through to the Knights. The Knights haven't won a flag in over 25 years and recently have been poor, which is not helping our chances.

I get your point about indigenous kids more likely to take up AFL, our zone has a very large population, at a guess in excess of 500,000 and the eligibility of the academies is quite broad. Im Australian born a bred, my wife moved here when she was 6, my son is now aligned with the Blues purely because her background isn't English.

Hopefully we are putting a lot of work in to the NGA and i think it will pay us back eventually.
You're spot on about the Northern Knights lack of success & this can be put down to the lack of depth on their list for a number of years. This is not to say they don't produce some top end players (Kreuzer & Cotchin for starters), but I really think they are up against it when compared to some of the other Melbourne-based NAB League clubs. Part of the problem being the private schools in the Northern Suburbs not necessarily having the quality footy programs that some of their counterparts in the Eastern Suburbs have.

Certainly there is significant population growth occurring in the outer Northern Suburbs, but again the quality of some of the footy clubs based around these suburbs is not great. The likes of South Morang, Mernda, Laurimar (Laurimar did make the 3rd Div GF this year under Justin Sherman's tugelage) are playing in the lower divisions of the Northern Football League, a competition which is nowhere near as strong as some of its suburban counterparts.

It was quite revealing that in the recently referenced list of NGA players there was only the 2 eligible players linked to our club i.e. Sunny Brazier & Cam Wild while some of the other AFL clubs had several eligible players. At the moment this is not of great concern, but if this was still the case in another 5 years time there would have to be question marks over the depth within our zone & whether our club is doing as much in our zone as other clubs are doing in their zone.

On a side note, when the NGA zones were first announced, I was quite annoyed that Essendope were given part of the NT & disappointed that we were given the Northern Suburbs having witnessed the change in demographic of the Northern Suburbs from when I grew up there through the '60s, '70s & '80s.

Is Zac Dawson still around? Haven't heard from him since he was announced as the head of the accademy early this year

He's waiting to see if Ross Lyon gets another head coach role...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a weird connection to make
You think a marketing or PR company wouldn't have noticed this? For a diversity academy that's largely about bringing in cultures aside from Anglo-Saxon, you would have thought this would be one of the things at the top of the list to look out for.

That it's still there is a huge oversight, which I suppose shows how utterly thoughtless the whole program is at an administrative level.

You think a marketing or PR company wouldn't have noticed this? For a diversity academy that's largely about bringing in cultures aside from Anglo-Saxon, you would have thought this would be one of the things at the top of the list to look out for.

That it's still there is a huge oversight, which I suppose shows how utterly thoughtless the whole program is at an administrative level.
Err...no. What exactly is the risk that need be mitigated here?

You don't make workarounds just because a hopefully small percentage of mouth breathers may make some vague association with racist terminology. It's pandering to the stupid.

Should those insensitive souls at the National Gallery of Australia re-badge the organisation too?

Anyway, fair chance we are both getting off track here.

Great news!

I suspect the reason for this is that he stopped getting tagged as 'Cameron Wild' and was instead tagged as 'Cam Wild' by AFL Draft Central. :p

Not enough games for F/S.
Have you seen him play Jimmae ?
That link you provided mentions that Wild has been invited to the combine. Do you think he is a realistic chance to be picked up? If so, what sort of draft range (just looking for your opinion).

Cheers

Err...no. What exactly is the risk that need be mitigated here?

You don't make workarounds just because a hopefully small percentage of mouth breathers may make some vague association with racist terminology. It's pandering to the stupid.

Should those insensitive souls at the National Gallery of Australia re-badge the organisation too?

Anyway, fair chance we are both getting off track here.
The National Gallery gets a pass because the title is straight forward and to the point, and the acronym is a byproduct. What's the selection criteria through which the AFL came up with 'Next Gen' ahead of something like the 'Multicultural Academy'?

It's so arbitrary as to feel forced, which begs the question of who came up with it, and why.

Have you seen him play Jimmae ?
That link you provided mentions that Wild has been invited to the combine. Do you think he is a realistic chance to be picked up? If so, what sort of draft range (just looking for your opinion).

Cheers
I've seen some footage of him, yes. You can watch all of his touches for each TAC game on the NAB League app if you'd like to get a picture of him.

Pretty sure he is a big bodied, medium fwd (at the moment). Not many AFL prototypes. Maybe a shorter Jack Darling or if Christian Petracca played as a power forward?

A bit of a one-trick pony.... He marks (often after a one-on-one) and kicks goals. I've read he's hard to budge when sitting under the ball. But it's a good trick.

Will need to improve fitness (and slim down?) to make it further. But he is very raw, having only recently concentrated on footy. Something to work with.

He improved as the year went on, so that's a good sign. He'd be a rookie at best, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play as an over ager next year.
Just to add on he kicked 38 goals from 18 games at about 2.11 per game.

So anyone think we might take Manton with a late pick? Not the type we are chasing but could have potential as a defender or part of a trade down the track if he is talented but we can't find a spot. Wild would have to be a good chance as well wouldn't he?

So anyone think we might take Manton with a late pick? Not the type we are chasing but could have potential as a defender or part of a trade down the track if he is talented but we can't find a spot. Wild would have to be a good chance as well wouldn't he?
Manton is not a need but Cam Wild should get picked imo. Could be our last pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back