Peter Dutton - How Long?

Remove this Banner Ad

You can’t plaster polling stations with political tat any more, but for the ALP you’d just put Duttons picture with Really? Across it

I’m confused as to what he is trying to do here? Doesn’t this undermine his opposition to the voice if he is planning another referendum (undermines the what’s the point and cost argument)
Most people want to address the heartbreaking reality of circumstances surrounding domestic and family violence in Indigenous communities.

This tactic addresses the 'guilt trip' line of the Yes case by saying we care, just there is a better way.
Many Australians have a distrust of politicians & giving them a blank canvas to make up the rules later does not sit well with me.

I have no problem with putting a broom through the current layers of Federal, State & Local Government Departments with budgets to do whatever providing money & resources to the indigenous people.

Any support Labor loses will more likely go to the Greens, not LNP. Then there is LNP's boomer base dying off.

Not looking good for Dutton, regardless of how you try to spin it.

I'm happy with his progress in the shadow of Albo's honeymoon period. The Libs have a lot to live down courtesy of ScoMo.

He is a ******* moron. He vows to hold another referendum if this fails......

Why? What would be the point? If this doesn't get up he wants to blow another how many millions on a referendum of the same subject matter. There is no logic whatsoever with that plan.

He was a racist ******* before announcing this and now he's a dumber racist *******.
He is saying "I want our indigenous to be recognised in the constitution but not the voice" in an attempt to avoid being called racist and say his objection is about creating pointless expensive bureaucracy. It is consistent with his comments about there being two questions.

It is a lie but could easily win over some swing voters if sold well.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Most people want to address the heartbreaking reality of circumstances surrounding domestic and family violence in Indigenous communities.

This tactic addresses the 'guilt trip' line of the Yes case by saying we care, just there is a better way.
Many Australians have a distrust of politicians & giving them a blank canvas to make up the rules later does not sit well with me.

I have no problem with putting a broom through the current layers of Federal, State & Local Government Departments with budgets to do whatever providing money & resources to the indigenous people.
No they don’t, a lot of people want to do nothing without the guilt that comes with it. This allows them to vote no to something that might actually help, that wouldn’t materially affect them in anyway, perpetuates the disadvantage, but pretend they care. And because Dutton won’t win the next election, there’s no burden of having to actually hold a second referendum. Status quo remains. It’s cynical, horrible but has a chance to succeed.

No they don’t, a lot of people want to do nothing without the guilt that comes with it. This allows them to vote no to something that might actually help, that wouldn’t materially affect them in anyway, perpetuates the disadvantage, but pretend they care. And because Dutton won’t win the next election, there’s no burden of having to actually hold a second referendum. Status quo remains. It’s cynical, horrible but has a chance to succeed.
The referendum & the next election are different issues.
Its Albo's to lose & the next 5 weeks might signal the end of the honeymoon.

I note you chose not to comment on the 'guilt' trip tactic of the Yes campaign being addressed. Perhaps you've been taken in by it.

I note you chose not to comment on the 'guilt' trip tactic of the Yes campaign being addressed. Perhaps you've been taken in by it.

Reading between the lines here. Why would you be feeling guilty?

I reckon Dutton more damaged by a no vote. Sayonara forever to the teal seats. Crazy he thinks it’s a plan to get elected PM

I think he thought the racist dog-whistling approach would still work.

Behind this statement is the wink-wink-nudge-nudge that he's never really going to call a referendum, he's just saying that so that the Liberal Party aren't completely at-odds with 70% of voters in two elections' time and lose them for all time.

I think he thought that most of his most ardent supporters would know he's lying and not care about his false promise. I mean, really, who could ever see the Liberal Party calling for a referendum on a progressive item? What was the last progressive thing they did? Had to be dragged kicking and screaming to a plebiscite on gay marriage which half of them abstained and refused to vote the way of their electorates.

He made the mistake of Albanese of assuming his supporters are smarter than they really are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dutton, Ley and other Opposition backbenchers apparently signed in a posse of members of the Pharmacy Guild into the Speakers Gallery in Parliament House today. Businessmen and women dressed in white coats who yelled tirades of abuse at Government MPs during Question Time and abused Parliament House staff when being asked to leave.

There was a time when being a Liberal and Conservative in Australia meant, first and foremost, respecting the established traditions of our democratic system. Not any more. This had echoes of the MAGA protests we are used to seeing in the US since Donald Trump first sought public office.

The behaviour of the opposition - in particular Sussssan Ley - in encouraging this rabble was yet another sign of their growing disrespect, ignorance and appealing to the very lowest standards of decency.

Surely long standing 'small l 'liberals will never put their faith in this mob again while Dutton and Ley are in charge.

As for the Pharmacy Union - they are quickly destroying the reputation and community respect of the very industry they are supposedly meant to represent.

r225_0_2307_1170_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Last edited:
I reckon Dutton more damaged by a no vote. Sayonara forever to the teal seats. Crazy he thinks it’s a plan to get elected PM
A no vote - which sadly is looking increasingly likely - is going to be an international embarrassment of epic proportions.

Australia voted NO to recognising First Nations people in the constitution and Australians said they should not have a voice.

If the referendum fails that will be 100% on Dutton and the Liberals and I will 100% be embarrassed to be an Australian.

He doesn’t know how to be or do anything but what he is, a nasty, selfish, corrupt thug who believes he’s right & everyone else is wrong.

Unlike Scummo who would pretend to be anything while lying about everything Dutton is incapable of being anything but Dutton.

He’s a stupid, unimaginative man.

He’s a stupid, unimaginative man.

Overly generous assessment. History will judge him - as a footnote in Australian politics.

His stunt with the pharmacy guild - as if Ley could organise that! - has driven the teals to directly oppose him... and everything he stands for - Steggall in the chamber, Ryan on ABC Melbourne, effectively siding with the govt.
Ryan's seat of Kooyong takes in all of Pesutto's state seat of Hawthorn, and is increasing as a progressive base. Dutton, by effectively forcing Pesutto to oppose the voice by lurching the Libs further right, is emasculating the Vic Libs even further. Can Libs lose more seats in Vic at both the next federal and state elections? Dutton seems keen to find out.

Overly generous assessment. History will judge him - as a footnote in Australian politics.

His stunt with the pharmacy guild - as if Ley could organise that! - has driven the teals to directly oppose him... and everything he stands for - Steggall in the chamber, Ryan on ABC Melbourne, effectively siding with the govt.
Ryan's seat of Kooyong takes in all of Pesutto's state seat of Hawthorn, and is increasing as a progressive base. Dutton, by effectively forcing Pesutto to oppose the voice by lurching the Libs further right, is emasculating the Vic Libs even further. Can Libs lose more seats in Vic at both the next federal and state elections? Dutton seems keen to find out.

That’s just it. He’s so sure everyone else is wrong & if he just keeps doubling down on his pointless anti everything culture war nonsense the electorate will come to its senses & magically restore the libs their rightful position of power & he can get back to looting the treasury for his own pockets.

A no vote - which sadly is looking increasingly likely - is going to be an international embarrassment of epic proportions.

Australia voted NO to recognising First Nations people in the constitution and Australians said they should not have a voice.

If the referendum fails that will be 100% on Dutton and the Liberals and I will 100% be embarrassed to be an Australian.
Almost noone overseas will care if a no vote sadly happens - it is hardly the same as the concentration camps and forced sterilisations of Xi that people happily ignore for money, the Rohinya problems etc

It will largely be on Dutton however Albo will bare blame as well for such an awful campaign being run in a time of economic challenge and by merging the voice with recognition when a pure recognition would have passed easily (although I understand it wasn't just him playing games but also because recognition alone was nothing not that the powerless voice is much better despite the scare campaigns)

Dutton, Ley and other Opposition backbenchers apparently signed in a posse of members of the Pharmacy Guild into the Speakers Gallery in Parliament House today. Businessmen and women dressed in white coats who yelled tirades of abuse at Government MPs during Question Time and abused Parliament House staff when being asked to leave.

There was a time when being a Liberal and Conservative in Australia meant, first and foremost, respecting the established traditions of our democratic system. Not any more. This had echoes of the MAGA protests we are used to seeing in the US since Donald Trump first sought public office.

The behaviour of the opposition - in particular Sussssan Ley - in encouraging this rabble was yet another sign of their growing disrespect, ignorance and appealing to the very lowest standards of decency.

Surely long standing 'small l 'liberals will never put their faith in this mob again while Dutton and Ley are in charge.

As for the Pharmacy Union - they are quickly destroying the reputation and community respect of the very industry they are supposedly meant to represent.

r225_0_2307_1170_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

He is making it pretty obvious that this is all.to appease donors, the pharmacy changes make it easier for people and reduce costs to the country so are a no brainer. Certainly nothing to justify fighting alongside the mostly rich companies that own pharmacies these days.

Dutton is a moron putting all his attention and energy into two causes - 1) pharmacies that will probably cost him votes and 2) the voice that very few people care about enough to change their vote at the election (And the only ones he would gain from his approach will be votes he already got from preferences anyway)

That’s just it. He’s so sure everyone else is wrong & if he just keeps doubling down on his pointless anti everything culture war nonsense the electorate will come to its senses & magically restore the libs their rightful position of power & he can get back to looting the treasury for his own pockets.

Yes when they lose, it’s because the electorate made a mistake, and they don’t make it a secret they think that

Collective eq in the basement alongside their primary polling

Sadly, one day the idiots that make up Australia will give up and will vote them back in.

We have all seen a nagging toddler just whine and whinge and cry and sook until they get what they want.

That is the modern Liberal party.

He is making it pretty obvious that this is all.to appease donors, the pharmacy changes make it easier for people and reduce costs to the country so are a no brainer. Certainly nothing to justify fighting alongside the mostly rich companies that own pharmacies these days.

Dutton is a moron putting all his attention and energy into two causes - 1) pharmacies that will probably cost him votes and 2) the voice that very few people care about enough to change their vote at the election (And the only ones he would gain from his approach will be votes he already got from preferences anyway)

The Pharmacy one is bizarre. If people want to go once a month they can. They can go once a week or once a day if they really want.

What happened to the party of personal liberty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back