Peter Forrest

Remove this Banner Ad

To Win Back The The Ashes.

I think the selectors are trying to use ODIs to give batsmen some international experience.
There are only a limited number of tests, and you can't really rotate or give guys a go there.
They see Forrest as a potential bat in the Tests, so I reckon its to expose him to international cricket because of his good SS form.

Exactly. We have plenty of fast bowling options but we desperately need to find some batsman to come in to the mix.

Hughes - mind****ed
Smith - not up to it
Khawaja - given a chance but didn't really take it, not quite yet
S.Marsh - mind****ed
Ferguson - stiff regarding one day form, hasn't helped himself much at FC level

I know people don't like picking test aspirants through the one day side but given where we are at I'm happy to see what Forrest has and if he can manage to lift his game to the next level.

David Hussey deserves a look in for the test side well before Peter Forrest. Who gives a s**t about age, I'd rather pick someone purely because they are capable of performing.

He is older than all the guys SR listed, but I'd be pretty damn confident he'd perform better than them all in the 2013 Ashes.

The more I think of it, the more I like this move. Still young and eventually Ponting/Hussey are going to retire. All our other experiments have thus far been unsuccessful. Has been in good shield form which is why selectors are giving him international experience.

Good luck to him. For all we know this may prove the masterstroke in retrieving the urn.

I don't understand why he is in the ODI side, he has a terrible record in ODD. How about picking guys suited for Tests from the form Shield players and ODI players from the inform ODD players and 20/20 players from the Big Bash. It's surely not a hard concept.

There is a bloke in Tasmania that has as good as record as him in the shield this year, and a much better record in OD, but he copped stick about being the national T20 captain because apparently he can't play.

Bob Quiney should be getting a game in front of Forrest as well. WTF?

There is a bloke in Tasmania that has as good as record as him in the shield this year, and a much better record in OD, but he copped stick about being the national T20 captain because apparently he can't play.

Bob Quiney should be getting a game in front of Forrest as well. WTF?

The NSW cricket mafia will verbal anyone who might get a look in b4 one of their own guys. O'Keefe, Lawson, Waugh, Clarke etc keep pushing the NSW thing to the hilt.
I mean honestly, if Hughes had come from any other state & opened the batting & played like a bloody crab with a bat, they would have laughed. Coming from NSW he got two goes at it:eek:

Debuting for Australia tomorrow. ODD average of 26 with a S/R of 61. Why?

Because he has been one of those "highly rated" Next Big Things(TM) for a long time, even if his numbers haven't justified it.

Those blokes only need to play 2-3 good innings in any form of domestic cricket and they're in.

See also:

S Marsh and M Beer (WA)
C White (Vic)
A Symonds and S Watson (Qld)
And anyone who has ever played for (NSW)

Hughes deserved that first crack at Test cricket undoubtedly. Came in with a mountain of shield runs. Sadly was found out reasonably quickly.

Don't get me wrong, i hope he does really well, but there are a couple of blokes who have copped stick in the media, who are much more deserving of a game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he has been one of those "highly rated" Next Big Things(TM) for a long time, even if his numbers haven't justified it.

Those blokes only need to play 2-3 good innings in any form of domestic cricket and they're in.

See also:

S Marsh and M Beer (WA)
C White (Vic)
A Symonds and S Watson (Qld)
And anyone who has ever played for (NSW)

Beer and Forrest have been one of the highly rated next best things?

On what planet did that occur?

Whether he does well or does poorly in a odi shouldn't have an impact in getting picked for the test team it's to different. I would have thought proving yourself for more than half a season in shield cricket would be the better option for getting test selection as he only averages 36 in first class cricket.

Hughes deserved that first crack at Test cricket undoubtedly. Came in with a mountain of shield runs. Sadly was found out reasonably quickly.

Hughes always had an awkward technique, ultimately contributing to his downfall. On the contrary Forrest’s technique is sound.

Whether he does well or does poorly in a odi shouldn't have an impact in getting picked for the test team it's to different. I would have thought proving yourself for more than half a season in shield cricket would be the better option for getting test selection as he only averages 36 in first class cricket.

Regardless. Forrest has put together 3 shield hundreds and his being rewarded for form. Forget his shield average.

Regardless. Forrest has put together 3 shield hundreds and his being rewarded for form. Forget his shield average.

His form this year in one day cricket what he's being picked on is 1 50 at 29 thats not good form. His shield average counts as one decent half season should never be considered enough, as Marsh and and to a lesser degree Cowan have not been able to step up to the next level with career averages in the 30's

It's all about the big picture.

Some people can't see the Forrest for the trees. :)

:D

applause.gif

I
His form this year in one day cricket what he's being picked on is 1 50 at 29 thats not good form. His shield average counts as one decent half season should never be considered enough, as Marsh and and to a lesser degree Cowan have not been able to step up to the next level with career averages in the 30's

What policy do you wish to propose then? Unlike the abundance of bowlers, there is a severe lack of batting talent amidst the Australian domestic scene. Selectors are rewarding good form, something the previous committee did not peruse.

You could argue that Quiney and/or Ferguson are more deserving of an ODI position based on ODD form alone. However prior to Quiney's back to back 100's earlier this week neither where setting the world on fire at shield level.

The bigger picture here is the Ashes series. Selectors are now asking Forrest not only to make runs and prove his technique against world-class Sri Lankan and Indian bowlers but also taking close surveillance to whether he is a good fit around the squad.

Would have preferred it if they'd left him to play Shield cricket while it is still going and then pick him in some ODI's in the West Indies, if they're doing this for his test future. Now he's going from the Big Bash to ODI's to help his test prospects? Come again? :eek:

They obviously want to see how he goes against relatively weak international attacks.

From an ODI series you will have a rough idea if a guy is not up to international cricket (though it isn't proof he is up for it).

Forrest's selection highlights to me the lack of "A" level cricket that Australia plays during the summer. It also highlights that the suspension of first class cricket for January for the Big Bash comes at a cost. Forrest was on track for a thousand run summer in the Shield. Given that there's a reserve bat spot open for the Windies tour, a thousand Shield runs would have made a reasonably compelling case. Similarly, an A 4 day match against another international side would give the selectors something to judge his Shield form against. Because of the Big Bash interrupting the traditional cricket season, Forrest's form is that bit harder to judge.

The selectors, who I would imagine would have liked to have their touring squad pretty much sorted out by now, have a dilemma caused by Shaun Marsh's crisis of confidence. Ideally I suspect, the batting squad for the Windies would have been the 6 bats from the India series, plus Watson (and Wade). Marsh's form reversal has stuffed that.

Based on that, I can see why the selectors want to look at another contender for that middle order reserve batsman spot. They've got some idea about Khawaja and have seen both sides of Marsh. Christian was another one who had made some good runs at Shield level and spent time with the squad in the Tests and now in the shorter forms of the game. Forrest had no exposed international form. They've tried to solve this problem with an imperfect solution, made so by virtue of Forrest's lack of runs in one day cricket. But the fact that the solution is imperfect doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist.

The other thing that this highlights is the fact that ODI cricket is meaningless unless it is building towards a World Cup. That the selectors can freely admit to using the tri-series (once the pinnacle of ODIs outside the World Cup) as a selection trial for an away Test tour is simply a reflection on the fact that winning the tri-series is not a particularly important goal for Aussie cricket.

My gut feel is that Forrest isn't quite up to international standard and isn't the solution for the post Punter/Huss era. I think the same of Cowan, to be honest. But the selectors are sending a message that scoring runs at Shield level, with a technique that looks resilient, will get you a look in to the international side. It sends a signal to guys like Hughes, Khawaja, Lynn, Smith etc - 12 months ago the annointed ones in terms of the Aussie set up, to start to put the scores up and to tighten their techniques.

I can tell you this for sure. Whoever misses out for him today will not be a happy little Vegimite.
Warner won't want to miss out, as he wants to cement his spot in all forms (especially since he's rarely set ODI's on fire), Ponting has just had a couple of weeks off and apparently definitely doesn't want to miss today and David Hussey has just had his best innings for Australia in a long time and was just talking earlier in the week about how he reckons he's already been dropped from Australian sides about 14 times. He would be ropable if he missed out for someone who has an infinitely inferior one day record (not to mention first class record), just as he's played a terrific innings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back