AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks Manchester City

[TD valign="top"]
Western Bulldogs

Alternate text
Dear members and friends,

I have decided to resign as President of the Western Bulldogs after serving for the last eight years, and for fifteen years now in total since October 1989. My resignation will take effect from the close of the Club’s 2020 AGM on 21 December.

I did say in May this year that I might consider delaying my departure for another year because of the COVID crisis. But I have decided to leave now and I thought I should explain why to you.

First and foremost, I have full confidence in our Vice-President Kylie Watson-Wheeler, our board, our CEO Ameet Bains and our senior management to take the Club forward.

Next, the Club has in 2020 completed a tough but responsible re-structure, complied with its TPP and soft cap reduction obligations and posted a substantial profit (its seventh consecutive annual profit and its fifth consecutive year of total profits over $1,000,000.)

We have in recent months worked hard to put the building blocks in place for continued profitability in 2021, providing our members continue to support the Club.

The Club has completed its exit from the gaming industry.

The Club has substantial cash reserves, far and away the greatest in its history.

Following the recent announcement of support from Daniel Andrews’ Government and State budget allocation, the Club is in a position to commence and to fund a $58 million redevelopment of the Victoria University Whitten Oval.

On account of the strong leadership of Gillon McLachlan and because of the sacrifice and the hard work of the whole industry, I believe the AFL is both eager and able to continue to financially support and grow all 18 Clubs.

In all, I believe that the Western Bulldogs Football Club is in a strong position, and it’s a good time for me to move on and for the Club to move on too.

I’d like to sincerely thank everyone who has supported me and offered me their friendship over the journey. It’s been an honour and a privilege to hold the position with many enjoyable moments for my family and me. I’ve had a few regrets, but then again, as Frank Sinatra once put it…too few to mention.

I wish the Club and all its members all the best for the future.
Alternate text
Peter Gordon [/TD]

Doggies7

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks Manchester City
He has done wonderful things for this football club, likely wouldn't be around any more if it weren't for him. Great man, i'm sure he will still be close by and helping out where he can, has left the club in a great position financially also. Thanks Peter

Just seen the club post it on Facebook say about a letter to members, only after that I then seen the email was sent at about the same time.

I’m sure he’ll never be too far away and I hope we still lean on him for all things legal!

He still leaves a great legacy, in the last 8 years he has done so much right it can really make the next 8 years to be very, very good.

Cheers PG!

I don’t see it as a bad thing, he’s done more than enough and deserves the opportunity to focus on other interests. A new club president brings a fresh approach to the management structure and future outlook.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Will have a big chapter in any Bulldogs history, one of the greatest positive forces in our clubs history.

Congratulations Peter on all of your achievements, leaving on your own terms and leaving our club in such great shape.

Will be fascinating to see where the club goes under Kylie Watson-Wheelet. Her marketing expertise and organisational skills should certainly come in very handy

Last edited:

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Since joining the club, Treloar has really made his mark
Gia... Gone.
Russell.... Gone
Joel Corey... Gone
Treloar deal is on thin ice.
Gordon... Gone.

Club is in damage control.

We would have had the fiztroy bulldogs if he didn’t step in the first time.

We would have been massively in debut with no WO plan and maybe not even a flag without him the second time.

Amazing what he has done for us.

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Gutted that he's handing over the reins.

This club is in such a better place than before he arrived. There was something really comforting knowing he had the presidency, the club felt in safe hands.

Hope the club pays tribute to him at WO, be it a statue or some sort of plaque, etc.

Gia... Gone.
Russell.... Gone
Joel Corey... Gone
Treloar deal is on thin ice.
Gordon... Gone.

Club is in damage control.
Just a hard day at the office.

He has done wonderful things for this football club, likely wouldn't be around any more if it weren't for him. Great man, i'm sure he will still be close by and helping out where he can, has left the club in a great position financially also. Thanks Peter

Nah, Eddie saved us. Apparently !!

Just read my email.

Now I feel like singing "To Sir with Love".

How can you really thank someone who has taken us... from losers to winners.

Back