Peter Jacksons Beatles Doco - 'The Beatles Get Back'

Remove this Banner Ad

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Looking forward to it. From the tiny bits Ive seen, it may revise the nature of the bands relationships in the making of the album which were actually very good (though seeing Yoko sitting amongst them rehearsing is a turd in the bouquet moment), humour may also be at the forefront, the colour looks great,

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Moreso even than their music which admittedly does fascinate me, the relationships and dynamics of the Beatles REALLY fascinates me so this would be very interesting.

I’ve always found the juxtaposition of someone like George and to a lesser extent Ringo really interesting where on one hand they’re two of the four most famous people on the planet for a stretch of time but at the same time they’re actually in the background and completely overshadowed by the two people closest to them.

Osho

Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Does anyone think Peter will do a Trotsky-like rub out of Yoko? Just leave blank spaces and empty chairs?

Osho

Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
It came out yesterday, has anyone had a chance to see it yet? Very curious about people's impressions.

I'm a little bit into the second episode and have found it fascinating but I'm a Beatles tragic, I sure other might find it a little long, a condensed two hour version might be more accessible to some. The interesting thing for me has been watching the creative process evolve for an album I know like the back of my hand. In the first episode you saw Paul and Ringo sitting round waiting for the others to arrive, Paul is just sitting there strumming on his bass and all of a sudden the opening riff to Get Back falls out, or Paul and John just throwing words at each other to try to make them fit into songs. I doubt too much history will be rewritten after watching this although so far Yoko doesn't seem to be the brooding figure loathed by the rest of the band that perhaps Beatles lore has that she is but as an insight into the evolution of the making of Let it Be it's amazing.

Last edited:

rank and file

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2013
michael mitchell country
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
bell park
I'm a little bit into the second episode and have found it fascinating but I'm a Beatles tragic, I sure other might find it a little long, a condensed two hour version might be more accessible to some. The interesting thing for me has been watching the creative process evolve for an album I know like the back of my hand. In the first episode you saw Paul and Ringo sitting round waiting for the others to arrive, Paul is just sitting there strumming on his bass and all of a sudden the opening riff to Get Back falls out, or Paul and John just throwing words at each other to try to make them fit into songs. I doubt too much history will be rewritten after watching this although so far Yoko doesn't seem to be the brooding figure loathed by the rest of the band that perhaps Beatles lore has that she is but as an insight into the evolution of the making of Let it Be it's amazing.
Definitely sounds like one for the tragics.
From The Guardian
"There is a point,about 5 hours in,when the prospect of hearing another ramshackle version of Don't Let Me Down becomes an active threat to the viewers sanity."
Did lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I’m about three quarters through
The first episode and I’m utterly captivated by it.

It reinforces some stereotypes and dismisses others:

- you can see that George is a bit frustrated that Paul is so dominant
- John is far far more laidback than I thought he would be. He seems very amiable and friendly and happy to be there but not one half of the driving force of the band like I assumed he was.
- Paul is bossy and dominant but also his enthusiasm and sort of ‘come on guys let’s get into this’ attitude is very noticeable
- Ringo is just the nice guy that everyone is friends with and just seems to be genial and cheerful all the time. There’s a little snippet of Linda talking about how much she likes Ringo and it’s nice
- John and Yoko are very much in love. There doesn’t seem to be that element of ‘Yoko stealing John away from the band’ that id envisioned
- the creative process fascinates me. Watching the genesis of Let It Be is just mesmerising. It’s arguably the greatest pop rock ballad ever written and McCartney is just sitting at a piano throwing darts at a board like he’s writing a poem for a high school assignment.
- John’s guitar playing is better than I have it credit for. It’s more plain and straightforward than George’s but still very good in its own right.
- while they were obviously on a lot of different pages at this point, the way they just pick up their instruments and fall in with one another, or the way they harmonise, is fascinating. It’s like God designed them for each other or something.
- I like watching them play one another’s instruments when they’re mucking around.

Watched the first part and Lennon is clearly under the influence, surprised of his lack of input and how he’s fairly quiet. Didn’t seem to malicious to Paul which always was led to believe during this time.

Paul may seem bossy but it just looked to me that he was just trying to solve issue and get the songs going. Surprised how much input he had in Lennon’s songs particularly Don’t Let Me Down. Seeing Get Back develop and turn into a song was one of the highlights. It’s long but if you’re a fan like me well worth the watch.

Osho

Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Peter Sellers turning up to the recordings is perfect when you can hear Goon influence throughout the Beatles music.
I can imagine Sellers the completely mad genius being a bit of a stimulant for the boys.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Watched the first part and Lennon is clearly under the influence, surprised of his lack of input and how he’s fairly quiet. Didn’t seem to malicious to Paul which always was led to believe during this time.

Paul may seem bossy but it just looked to me that he was just trying to solve issue and get the songs going. Surprised how much input he had in Lennon’s songs particularly Don’t Let Me Down. Seeing Get Back develop and turn into a song was one of the highlights. It’s long but if you’re a fan like me well worth the watch.

When I say bossy I don’t mean in a schoolmaster type of way, its about as passive as bossy can be. I love his enthusiasm for the creative process - more than any of them this was a guy born to write and arrange music

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not a massive Beatles fans but do like their music when it comes on and know all of their hits. Was looking forward to this documentary but didn't realise they were so long. Maybe a stripped back version would be more my liking.

About 2/3rds into the first episode ....it's ok but very tedious. Ill struggle to get through all 3 anytime soon.

I will get through them but in parts. 2 hours of not much happening is a lot of hard work.

But there are pockets of gold and Paul strumming and turning nothing into 'get back' is great. Love that stuff. Hopefully a bit more of that to come.

I could imagine a Beatles superfan/tragic would love this. Be akin to pearl jam doing something like this for me.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Osho

Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Watched Rick Beato’s reaction video this morning

He pointed something out that is easily overlooked:

By the time the Beatles broke up, none of them had even turned 30. And George was just 26!!! ******* incredible that a band could produce that body of work by that age
It has always amazed me also their youth and mastery. I am embarrassed to recall what I was capable of in my mid20s, pretty much nothing.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
It has always amazed me also their youth and mastery. I am embarrassed to recall what I was capable of in my mid20s, pretty much nothing.

Yeah it still remains an amazing coming together of 4 exceptional musicians, even some of Ringo's solo stuff is great which I still get a kick out of listening to.

Last edited:

Osho

Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah it still remains an amazing coming together of 4 exception musicians, even some of Ringo's solo stuff is great which I still get a kick out of listening to.
Ringo was the ideal Beatles drummer. I love his drumming during the Rubber Soul - Revolver period. Rain is great.

Watched Rick Beato’s reaction video this morning

He pointed something out that is easily overlooked:

By the time the Beatles broke up, none of them had even turned 30. And George was just 26!!! ******* incredible that a band could produce that body of work by that age

I have thought that a lot of times about different bands/musician.
But it really is a common theme in music. The 20s is really when muso’s seem at their creative prime.
Saying that, The Beatles output was ahead of most.
Its also seems to have died off these days. Bands are lucky to realease an album once in 3-4 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back