Peter McKenna - The overlooked Champion

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter McKenna the next in my posts on Collingwood Chanpions.

Peter McKenna so often over looked in Collingwood discussions due to the greatness of Gordon Coventry and Dick Lee and in AFL discussions due to the fact he was pitted against other great Full Forwards like the great Peter Hudson. This means he didn't stand out like Coleman who had no great Full Forwards pitted against him.
Look at the incredible record of McKenna
- 874 career goals
- Averaged 4.58 goals a game.
- Leading Collingwood Goalkicker 8 times
- Twice Coleman medalist
- Copeland Trophy Winner
- Kicked the ton 3 times
- incredible season tallies of 143 goals, 134 goals and 130 goals.
- All Australian
- AFL Hall of Fame
- Kicked 16 goals in a game.
- Had 20 scoring shots in a game - 16.4
- Kicked 10 goals or more in a game 13 times.
- Kicked 5 goals or more in a game 86 times.
- Went 121 games straight kicking a goal (AFL Record) and truly amazing.

One of the greats of the game and so under rated. I proudly wore the number 6 on my back as a kid and proudly ran on the ground when he kicked a ton. What a site it was with Pricey and the Richo brothers storming out of the middle hitting McKenna on the chest and just knowing he was going to kick the goal. A really nice bloke as well. A true Champion of the AFL and Collingwood.

The most telling stat that I live is the 121 games straight kicking at least 1 goal.

And a good bloke too.

For mine one of the most disappointing aspects of modern footy is the way the game has evolved tactically to make it virtually impossible for gun forwards like the great Peter McKenna to kick bags of goals on a regular basis.
They were the glamour players where you'd be watching & counting the numbers of goals kicked, now it's all about the midfielders and counting the possessions.....
Hopefully it will evolve again to allow gun forwards to flourish once more.

Wonder what his stats would translate to in a modern game with proper tactics
I wonder what todays stars stats would translate to into the future with an even more modern game with even more proper tactics.

Instead of 140 goals he’d kick 135 goals.

He’d slice and dice foolbacks today.
You can never beat smarts, body position and accuracy in front of goal.

For mine one of the most disappointing aspects of modern footy is the way the game has evolved tactically to make it virtually impossible for gun forwards like the great Peter McKenna to kick bags of goals on a regular basis.
They were the glamour players where you'd be watching & counting the numbers of goals kicked, now it's all about the midfielders and counting the possessions.....
Hopefully it will evolve again to allow gun forwards to flourish once more.
Lockett Dunstall McKenna would still be stars today.
Create space and be accurate and goals come.

The most telling stat that I live is the 121 games straight kicking at least 1 goal.

And a good bloke too.

He is a nice bloke. We ran into him at the 125th day at Vic Park and had a nice chat. (will post a photo he took with my son later if I can find it). He was just walking off the train platform like any other guy , wearing an old cardigan and pants - you'd never have known he was a legend of the club. Nothing "rockstar" about him at all.

My only memory of him is as a commentator unfortunately - he left Collingwood when I was 1 yo. His stats are something out of this world and he's one player I am very sad never to have seen. Not sad to have missed his music career.

He is a nice bloke. We ran into him at the 125th day at Vic Park and had a nice chat. (will post a photo he took with my son later if I can find it). He was just walking off the train platform like any other guy , wearing an old cardigan and pants - you'd never have known he was a legend of the club. Nothing "rockstar" about him at all.

My only memory of him is as a commentator unfortunately - he left Collingwood when I was 1 yo. His stats are something out of this world and he's one player I am very sad never to have seen. Not sad to have missed his music career.
Would have won us a flag but for some friendly fire in the GF. Great forward but not the total package that was Hudson, hence the 'overlooked' tag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKenna kicks 130 in 20 home & away games.
In the last four rounds of the season he kicks 9-9-11-8. That’s 37 goals in 4 games!
In that Round 22 game where he kicked 8, he did his hammy.
We got the double chance, but had to play finals without him.
Out we went in straight sets.

37 goals in the last 4 games of the year, but then you miss the finals!!

What might have been....

My favourite player as a young fella, speed on a lead, deadly in front of goal, but a poor over head mark, but just a special player.
A great of the game.

Wonder how the modern player would go with the tactics of the past.
Would they sook it up, or take it on.

Oddly enough, he was playing in his own era. If he'd played in a different time, no doubt he would have used his talents differently and still been a superstar.
It's not all about stats.

Peter McKenna so often over looked in Collingwood discussions due to the greatness of Gordon Coventry and Dick Lee and in AFL discussions due to the fact he was pitted against other great Full Forwards like the great Peter Hudson. This means he didn't stand out like Coleman who had no great Full Forwards pitted against him.
- 874 career goals
- Twice Coleman medalist
- Copeland Trophy Winner
- Kicked the ton 3 times
- All Australian
- AFL Hall of Fame

One of the greats of the game and so under rated. I proudly wore the number 6 on my back as a kid and proudly ran on the ground when he kicked a ton. What a site it was with Pricey and the Richo brothers storming out of the middle hitting McKenna on the chest and just knowing he was going to kick the goal. A really nice bloke as well. A true Champion of the AFL and Collingwood.
Great post. If I may add... the other thing about McKenna is that he was incredibly, remarkably accurate at any distance up to 60 yards. My oldest mate, an Essendon supporter in his mid sixties like me, says he's the best kick for goal he's ever seen and there's not even a conversation to be had. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the lasting memory of his remarkable accuracy is the reason modern coaches have insisted on the drop punt all over the ground.

McKenna kicks 130 in 20 home & away games.
In the last four rounds of the season he kicks 9-9-11-8. That’s 37 goals in 4 games!
In that Round 22 game where he kicked 8, he did his hammy.
We got the double chance, but had to play finals without him.
Out we went in straight sets.

37 goals in the last 4 games of the year, but then you miss the finals!!

What might have been....
Thanks for pointing this out, something I hadn’t been aware of.
Injury in 70 GF almost certainly cost the flag and injuries/illness late in 72 and 73 had major impacts also

Last edited:

- 874 career goals
- Twice Coleman medalist
- Copeland Trophy Winner
- Kicked the ton 3 times
- All Australian
- AFL Hall of Fame

Overlooked?:shoutyoldman::eek:

Not in the world I live in.

Over-rated singer though.......smile all the while my arse.

- 874 career goals
- Twice Coleman medalist
- Copeland Trophy Winner
- Kicked the ton 3 times
- All Australian
- AFL Hall of Fame

Great and informative summary as always SOTY. Absolute champion he was though before my time.
A few more tidbits about Pete which may not be as well known:
- Was the first host on Hey Hey it’s Saturday back when it was a morning show. Club said you can’t do that on game day so he stopped after a few shows (replaced by Ossie Ostrich).
- Was a state government minister driver after his footy days were over
- released a book called My World of Football when he was playing (found a copy in a Daylesford book store about 10 years ago and snapped it up!)
- his injury in 1973 opened the door for Rene Kink to debut in prelim as a 16yo, that fateful game where we lead by 43 points and lost to Richmond.
- A t-shirt of him (and other 70s players) was released. Never bought one but they looked pretty good:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/4b...na-collingwood-for-dark-shirts-only?p=t-shirt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back