Traded Peter Wright [Traded to Essendon for 2021 R4 pick]

Who won this trade?

• Gold Coast

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Essendon

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

1 of these players are considered to be worth $800k+ and 2x 1st round draft picks just last year and the other $400k-$500k and 2nd rounder

Maybe have a look and tell me which you prefer
Intriguing comparison but numbers don't tell the full story. JD would get the best defender. 2MP definitely didn't when Lynch was there, I don't know about 2019.

Intriguing comparison but numbers don't tell the full story. JD would get the best defender. 2MP definitely didn't when Lynch was there, I don't know about 2019.

Yeah those stats don't go anywhere near telling the full story though. There's a reason Daniher is rated higher. Here are Daniher's numbers seasons 2 through 5 versus Wright's numbers.

The only reason Daniher's career numbers are anywhere near Wright's career numbers is because Daniher has been injured for 3 years. Those 3 years would also have coincided with him coming into the peak of his powers. Wright has been fully fit and is just not being selected by a team that is currently 14th on the ladder. In the words of Jules from Pulp Fiction "It ain't the same ****ing ball park. It ain't the same league. It ain't even the same ****ing sport"

1600036146020.png

1600035653762.png

1600035956922.png

Last edited:

Yeah those stats don't go anywhere near telling the full story though. There's a reason Daniher is rated higher. Here are Daniher's numbers seasons 3 through 6 versus Wright's numbers.

The only reason Daniher's career numbers are anywhere near Wright's career numbers is because Daniher has been injured for 3 years. Those 3 years would also have coincided with him coming into the peak of his powers. Wright has been fully fit and is just not being selected by a team that is currently 14th on the ladder. In the words of Jules from Pulp Fiction "It ain't the same ****ing ball park. It ain't the same league. It ain't even the same ****ing sport"

View attachment 960915

View attachment 960913

View attachment 960914

Just by spending a year not being selected, being passed over by BK.. means his value has dropped. ... and then, the whole market maybe flooded ..if every club has to remove numbers. GC have been dilgent with having players contracted.. who could foresee a list reduction caused by the pandemic.

If GC has a valued FA type player, or even if they want to secure other players on their list ..and need cap room ... I can see 2mp being a valued ended pick if the club takes him and his money.

Just by spending a year not being selected, being passed over by BK.. means his value has dropped. ... and then, the whole market maybe flooded ..if every club has to remove numbers. GC have been dilgent with having players contracted.. who could foresee a list reduction caused by the pandemic.

If GC has a valued FA type player, or even if they want to secure other players on their list ..and need cap room ... I can see 2mp being a valued ended pick if the club takes him and his money.

Without a doubt his value has dropped, there's a big difference between not playing because you're injured, and not playing because somebody has taken your spot. It's been stated that he is a salary dump for them and I don't blame them, very few clubs will want to pay 500k a year to a backup ruck/forward as well as trading a high pick for him. If list sizes and the salary cap shrink as expected, his value drops even further.

Your not getting Peter Wright for a pick in the 40's if GC are paying part of his salary

Easily worth a pick #20-#30 with GC not covering any of his salary

200cm KPF /Ruck at 24 years of age that were 1st round quality dont grow on tree's
Love your work THE_GUN, but I've just made a little adjustment for you. Bloke has made it abundantly clear he does not want to ruck and has no intention of doing so.

1 of these players are considered to be worth $800k+ and 2x 1st round draft picks just last year and the other $400k-$500k and 2nd rounder

Maybe have a look and tell me which you prefer
I’ll take the one with the club b&f, AA, and four time leading goal kicker for his club thx.

Love your work THE_GUN, but I've just made a little adjustment for you. Bloke has made it abundantly clear he does not want to ruck and has no intention of doing so.

Where has he said this?

At the end of the day the value is based on what the club that he wants to go to actually has to trade.

If they have pick 20 and pick 50 and nothing in between then they are just going to offer pick 50 in a take it or leave it for the Suns.

Happens on fringe player trades all the time.

Personally I think people liked him in his draft year and haven't actually watched him play much since. I'd prefer to stick with Ratugolea than pick him up for instance.

Will be interesting to see play out. It is great depth to have knowing if King or Day go down Wright is there ready to go. Though 500k a year for depth is far from ideal.

Bit frustrating that Dew has persisted with Day the whole season when Wright probably should have got a run out and a chance to stake a spot but I obviously don't know what happens inside the 4 walls.

If the Suns don't get an offer that suits can't see them letting him leave for a pick 40+.

They have said previous that Wright is 'in their plans', whatever that means, must mean they think he offers some value.

Will be interesting to see play out. It is great depth to have knowing if King or Day go down Wright is there ready to go. Though 500k a year for depth is far from ideal.

Bit frustrating that Dew has persisted with Day the whole season when Wright probably should have got a run out and a chance to stake a spot but I obviously don't know what happens inside the 4 walls.

If the Suns don't get an offer that suits can't see them letting him leave for a pick 40+.

They have said previous that Wright is 'in their plans', whatever that means, must mean they think he offers some value.

K.. I suspect all clubs are not too far different in that... look not at what they say...more at what they do.

In the end if you do not want too, you dont have too ...its the players issue if they sign on. You can keep him for a couple of years ..and in a couple of years when he is a FA the market will sort it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely there's no point in trading 2mP unless the Suns can offload the salary??

The last thing the Suns need is a second or third round pick.

They need salary cap space and depth.

Trading him and paying part salary is reducing depth while keeping a wasted salary cap.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Trading him and paying part salary is reducing depth while keeping a wasted salary cap.

Suns will flick him off for mature trade and free agent targets to come in

Where has he made it abundantly clear he does not and will not play Ruck ? Not sure i have ever seen that article

I wouldn't pay more than an end of second round pick. There's no guarantee he's best 22 whereas Daniher clearly would be, based on goals and contested marks.

You might want to go check their career stats as there really is not the massive difference you think their is but ill attach the link to make is easier, Now also there are other things to consider like Daniher 'Being available to play' He has hardly played in 3 years due to Groin and mental issue's he could just as likely turn around in 3 years after playing another 20 games and retire. As well as the asking price "last year of 2 x 1st rounders compared to a pick that would cost for Wright"

I’ll take the one with the club b&f, AA, and four time leading goal kicker for his club thx.
Hmm I think the quality of talent that was infront of Wright might have been a bit higher than what was available at the bombers at the time he was B & F as well as the guy pretty much been played between the ages of 19-21 really has not had the chance to play with just 66 games in his time there
and the guy being selected when fit over the one who isn't. :)

That has alot to do with where the Coach see's this player and how often his is 'Fit' to play as i have mentioned above Daniher has only been 'Fit' to play 13 times in 3 years yet Swans were searching for the 2nd 1st rounder to get this done.

If I had the choice between Daniher(27 year old) for 2 1st rounders and $900k or Wright (24 years)for pick #30 on $500k for the start of 2021 season. I would be taking Wright

There is also a very good chance that Peter Wright would also be prepared to sign a new deal with a new club for like 3/4 year @ $400k just to get to a club that values him and wants to play him where as Daniher most likely wont.

How mobile is Wright? If he's not that mobile I think that's probably why is isn't selected.
It is because Dew wants a team defense, so we can put pressure on in our forward line. Day has at least that going for him being a bit more likely to chase and tackle, as soon as the pill hits the deck we may as well have 17 on the field, Wright just doesn't do that work.

It is because Dew wants a team defense, so we can put pressure on in our forward line. Day has at least that going for him being a bit more likely to chase and tackle, as soon as the pill hits the deck we may as well have 17 on the field, Wright just doesn't do that work.
You really cant expect that from too many 203cm 105kgs player to a high level but its something that can be worked on to a degree

Even if they were to pay $100k of his salary (on the assumption it’s $500k), it’s still beneficial for them as a salary dump, and it would be more palatable for clubs to actually take him on. Even if it’s for a nothing pick, I’m not sure clubs would be happy to be paying Wright north of $500k per year.
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, nonetheless.

Where has he made it abundantly clear he does not and will not play Ruck ? Not sure i have ever seen that article

You might want to go check their career stats as there really is not the massive difference you think their is but ill attach the link to make is easier, Now also there are other things to consider like Daniher 'Being available to play' He has hardly played in 3 years due to Groin and mental issue's he could just as likely turn around in 3 years after playing another 20 games and retire. As well as the asking price "last year of 2 x 1st rounders compared to a pick that would cost for Wright"

Hmm I think the quality of talent that was infront of Wright might have been a bit higher than what was available at the bombers at the time he was B & F as well as the guy pretty much been played between the ages of 19-21 really has not had the chance to play with just 66 games in his time there

That has alot to do with where the Coach see's this player and how often his is 'Fit' to play as i have mentioned above Daniher has only been 'Fit' to play 13 times in 3 years yet Swans were searching for the 2nd 1st rounder to get this done.

If I had the choice between Daniher(27 year old) for 2 1st rounders and $900k or Wright (24 years)for pick #30 on $500k for the start of 2021 season. I would be taking Wright

There is also a very good chance that Peter Wright would also be prepared to sign a new deal with a new club for like 3/4 year @ $400k just to get to a club that values him and wants to play him where as Daniher most likely wont.
Mate you’re taking the piss. You aren’t going to convince anybody that Wright and Daniher are the same quality of player, regardless of what numbers you throw out. Fact is that Daniher’s best year yielded 65 goals and an AA berth, more than double Wrights best year tally (and only 20 less than Wrights total career goals), and he’s only missed games through injury. Wright hasn’t played for 12 months purely on form. It’s not even a contest....

Even if they were to pay $100k of his salary (on the assumption it’s $500k), it’s still beneficial for them as a salary dump, and it would be more palatable for clubs to actually take him on. Even if it’s for a nothing pick, I’m not sure clubs would be happy to be paying Wright north of $500k per year.
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, nonetheless.
I don't want to argue , i expect this from you when i said he is free but you paid his wages . Sometime both club need to step 1 step back . He is free , if your club want him ask him to take less money not GCS to paid his wages. If he really want to play for your club , money should come secondary, he need to choose between his career or money .

I don't want to argue , i expect this from you when i said he is free but you paid his wages . Sometime both club need to step 1 step back . He is free , if your club want him ask him to take less money not GCS to paid his wages. If he really want to play for your club , money should come secondary, he need to choose between his career or money .
Do you think that GC would prefer to pay $500k per year to a depth player, or free up $400k per year for two years?
This is not uncommon, I’m not sure why you’re getting riled up. It’s not like I’m even suggesting GC would or should pay half his wage like has happened in some instances.

Do you think that GC would prefer to pay $500k per year to a depth player, or free up $400k per year for two years?
This is not uncommon, I’m not sure why you’re getting riled up. It’s not like I’m even suggesting GC would or should pay half his wage like has happened in some instances.

He is reportedly on $600k to $650K, could very well be fronted ended - if he's not going to play then having $400k on the books is better, I agree. We'll watch this space, but the new norm is to front end players for long term deals to recruit/ retain talent, then cut them loose before the end if it doesn't work out - now being done by Adelaide and GWS - there could be others?

Back