Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters
May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
50+ losses in 18 rounds:

Essendon 2 with the highest being Geelong 66.
West Coast 9 with 2 over 100 points
North 10 with 2 over 100 points.

I know I didn't really need to break down the obvious, but there you go. For some perspective, Essendon top ups in 2016 only had 9 50+ losses for the whole year (with one 108 point loss). That's how bad North and West Coast have been.
I fully understand the Roos are bad but ess have put their hand up for the biggest disappontiment in 2022.

But they lived up to my expectations however which was nice.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I fully understand the Roos are bad but ess have put their hand up for the biggest disappontiment in 2022.

But they lived up to my expectations however which was nice.
Essendon were continually one of the youngest sides last year, lost 2 of our top 10 goal kickers from last year (Hooker, Tippa) and a further 2 for extended periods (Stringer, Jones) whilst JUST scraping into the finals with one of the poorest records in recent AFL history.

Only the most educated would have you believe that Essendon were certainties for improving, every chance to regress on the back of how young the list is.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Essendon were continually one of the youngest sides last year, lost 2 of our top 10 goal kickers from last year (Hooker, Tippa) and a further 2 for extended periods (Stringer, Jones) whilst JUST scraping into the finals with one of the poorest records in recent AFL history.

Only the most educated would have you believe that Essendon were certainties for improving, every chance to regress on the back of how young the list is.
Not many ess posters thought they would regress - let alone 3 wins 11 losses.

But if you’re happy then all good and well.

Get a grip. Most thought we'd get 8-10 wins this year given everything and we're only two wins away from that range.

However, this is the Peter Wright thread. You never answered my question Billy, is this a failed trade and if so, why?

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Its no surprise to see us where we are. Sure, may be a little below where most expected but to suggest we were certainties to progress is daft.

I thought all things going well, we could end up in the top 4 but it hasn't worked out like that.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Get a grip. Most thought we'd get 8-10 wins this year given everything and we're only two wins away from that range.

However, this is the Peter Wright thread. You never answered my question Billy, is this a failed trade and if so, why?
Incorrect - have a look at your crystal ball thread.

Wrights having a good year - Adrian McAdam also had a good year. Before anointing him the next Carey let him do for more than 3 quarters of 1 year.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Wrights having a good year - Adrian McAdam also had a good year. Before anointing him the next Carey let him do for more than 3 quarters of 1 year.
We're not looking at the crystal ball thread, we are talking about the Peter Wright trade which appears to be a huge success

A poll of what, 6 or 7 people?

Who is proclaiming him to be the next Carey? Please just answer the question. Yes or no. Was this a failed trade for Essendon?

At the time of posting was failed.
Amazing what continuity and fitness can do.
Wrong, but still not what I asked. Is it a failed trade for Essendon?

You literally need to type 2 or 3 letters, maybe a full stop at the end. Is that beyond your capabilities?

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey

Nobody is anointing him the next Carey. But he has proven to be a far better CHF than the price paid for him. He’d get a game at any club in the country atm except perhaps Carlton and Geelong.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Excellent get for us. I know many of our fans enjoy comparing his output to Daniher’s but I can’t help but think what if we could have paired the two of them. Let Daniher play the high roaming CHF with Wright as the deepest forward would be a great pairing.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Excellent get for us. I know many of our fans enjoy comparing his output to Daniher’s but I can’t help but think what if we could have paired the two of them. Let Daniher play the high roaming CHF with Wright as the deepest forward would be a great pairing.
On paper, but his head wouldn't allow it. He'd be sitting on a fence somewhere for us.

Although I wouldn't put it out of the question he might have grown up a bit, and at the tail end of his career he might ask to come back to finish up at Essendon. I don't want him back, but the Daniher name would make it fitting.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
On paper, but his head wouldn't allow it. He'd be sitting on a fence somewhere for us.

Although I wouldn't put it out of the question he might have grown up a bit, and at the tail end of his career he might ask to come back to finish up at Essendon. I don't want him back, but the Daniher name would make it fitting.
To suggest that he left Essendon due to some form of immaturity is unfair IMO. He joined in 2013; since then, the club has never left behind the mismanagement of the post-2000 hangover.

While Brisbane has undoubtedly been more fart than poo in the last few years, it has been in late September contention and seems like a happy place to be.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
To suggest that he left Essendon due to some form of immaturity is unfair IMO. He joined in 2013; since then, the club has never left behind the mismanagement of the post-2000 hangover.

While Brisbane has undoubtedly been more fart than poo in the last few years, it has been in late September contention and seems like a happy place to be.
Essendon sent him all over the world for the best treatment. They spent a lot in club resources to get him right.

In that time he played about 2 games on a 2million dollar 3 year contract.

He should have repayed the club.
Instead he sat on fences, and ****ed off when we got him right.
Yes that shows his immature character.
I have no respect for those types of people.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Essendon sent him all over the world for the best treatment. They spent a lot in club resources to get him right.

In that time he played about 2 games on a 2million dollar 3 year contract.

He should have repayed the club.
Instead he sat on fences, and *ed off when we got him right.
Yes that shows his immature character.
I have no respect for those types of people.
They are injuries sustained in his service of the club. At any workplace, it’s incumbent on them to foot the bill for treatment and pay his contract.

Good luck to him, frankly. The same goes to others like McCarthy and Cockatoo, though I appreciate they were never stars.

He is 28, Essendon look at least five years from their next flag. He had to move if he ever wanted a flag.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

I don’t get people saying Daniher is immature.

- He doesn’t owe Essendon anything

- I don’t think he left Essendon for success. He wanted out of the Melbourne footy bubble.

- Reports are that Daniher sees footy as more of a job than a passion and isn’t maniacal about being the best he can be. Who can blame him everyone in his family grows up and plays AFL so is it so strange that he doesn’t treat AFL with the same reverence as others.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
I don’t get people saying Daniher is immature.

- He doesn’t owe Essendon anything

- I don’t think he left Essendon for success. He wanted out of the Melbourne footy bubble.

- Reports are that Daniher sees footy as more of a job than a passion and isn’t maniacal about being the best he can be. Who can blame him everyone in his family grows up and plays AFL so is it so strange that he doesn’t treat AFL with the same reverence as others.
I should add - back in the late 90s, our captain, and frankly our only marketable star at the time, Leigh Colbert, did a knee, had 12 months out, then walked out on the club.

At the time, we thought it was a dog act. Now I look back, and after info about how he was unhappy at the club and felt unsupported by the veteran players came out, I think he absolutely did the right thing in leaving and didn’t owe the club anything.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
I should add - back in the late 90s, our captain, and frankly our only marketable star at the time, Leigh Colbert, did a knee, had 12 months out, then walked out on the club.

At the time, we thought it was a dog act. Now I look back, and after info about how he was unhappy at the club and felt unsupported by the veteran players came out, I think he absolutely did the right thing in leaving and didn’t owe the club anything.
Him, Murphy and a few others leaving in 1999 and 2001 brought in the draft picks your later success was built on. Hopefully the players we got for JD, Saad, Raz leaving do the same for us.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
They are injuries sustained in his service of the club. At any workplace, it’s incumbent on them to foot the bill for treatment and pay his contract.

Good luck to him, frankly. The same goes to others like McCarthy and Cockatoo, though I appreciate they were never stars.

He is 28, Essendon look at least five years from their next flag. He had to move if he ever wanted a flag.
Sure it's up to the workplace. But it was also up to Daniher to show some gratitude.
Ungrateful sod.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Sure it's up to the workplace. But it was also up to Daniher to show some gratitude.
Ungrateful sod.
I’m sure he was grateful. But that gratitude doesn’t mean he has to sign a new contract.

He was held to his old contract after he couldn’t get to Sydney the first time, he stuck around and respected the terms of the contract.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Ungrateful sod.

He is a country boy at heart who wanted to get out of the Mad Melbourne fishbowl.

He likes the quiet life, he didn't leave Essendon out of some ungratefulness or whatever

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m sure he was grateful. But that gratitude doesn’t mean he has to sign a new contract.

He was held to his old contract after he couldn’t get to Sydney the first time, he stuck around and respected the terms of the contract.
He stuck to his original contract because he should have. And while he should have, he sat on boundary fences and showed no interest.

He gave nothing over those last 3 years, accepted all the help and 2mill.
If he was grateful then he would have repayed the faith and stuck around after we got him right. - At least one good year.

His moral compass is way off.

Last edited:
Back