Peter Wright vs Brodie Grundy

Who would you take

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy ruck craft still isn't great.

Come on now...

3rd the league in hitout win % (behind NicNat and Gawn)
3rd in the league in hitouts to advantage per game (behind NicNat and Gawn)

Along with his obvious quality at ground level around stoppages.

Come on now...

People seem to be Forgetting That

This. Grundy’s durability and week to week consistency says 7 years shouldn’t be too much of a concern with any luck. But you’ll never convince me that any ruck is worth a million dollars a year - they simply aren’t the difference between teams winning and not winning a premiership.

Naitanui is worth a million a year just in marketing and memberships (not that the Eagles are light on in either)

We've seen some pretty amazing midfielders be the key pillar in premiership sides, or at least drag their side very, very close but rucks just don't have that same impact.

If Ottens didn't play in the 2007 pf against Collingwood, imo, Geelong wouldn't have even got through to the gf.

Come on now...

Win % means SFA.

He has a low percentage, and unlike Naitanui, Gawn, Witts and Goldstein he doesn't really put his midfielders out into space. Most of his hitouts are 6 o'clock, which is fine and all Collingwood need him to do due to the quality of their midfielders, but please don't compare it to 360 degree hitout players like the ones I mentioned.

He's an excellent player but as far as actual ruck craft he falls short.

Win % means SFA.

Well, he gets his hand to it first more than every other ruckman bar two (the other two who are also considered to be the best), so it does mean something.

He has a low percentage, and unlike Naitanui, Gawn, Witts and Goldstein he doesn't really put his midfielders out into space. Most of his hitouts are 6 o'clock, which is fine and all Collingwood need him to do due to the quality of their midfielders, but please don't compare it to 360 degree hitout players like the ones I mentioned.

He's an excellent player but as far as actual ruck craft he falls short.

Sometimes doing what your team needs and playing within yourself (not just showing off what you can do, to show that you can do it) and playing to your teammate's strengths is a skill in itself.

I would say as a complete package in ruck contests and stoppages, any shortage of "ruck craft" in the air that Grundy may have in comparison to anyone but the other big 2 is more than made up for with his bodywork, defensive efforts, second efforts and ball-winning around the stoppages.

Well, he gets his hand to it first more than every other ruckman bar two (the other two who are also considered to be the best), so it does mean something.

Sometimes doing what your team needs and playing within yourself (not just showing off what you can do, to show that you can do it) and playing to your teammate's strengths is a skill in itself.

I would say as a complete package in ruck contests and stoppages, any shortage of "ruck craft" in the air that Grundy may have in comparison to anyone but the other big 2 is more than made up for with his bodywork, defensive efforts, second efforts and ball-winning around the stoppages.
There's a reason people say "hit outs aren't a good measure" for ruckmen. The same can be said of win %. Does anybody use the fact that Nic Nat and Gawn have the highest as an argument as to why they're great at the stoppage? No, they list the way they hit the ball and put their midfielders into space.

Of course, it's a team game after all. However it does hold him back in these discussions about ruck craft in and of itself.

And yes, he's excellent in many parts of the game, that's why he's considered one of the best players in the game right now. But his actual tap work is just okay.

There's a reason people say "hit outs aren't a good measure" for ruckmen. The same can be said of win %. Does anybody use the fact that Nic Nat and Gawn have the highest as an argument as to why they're great at the stoppage? No, they list the way they hit the ball and put their midfielders into space.

Of course, it's a team game after all. However it does hold him back in these discussions about ruck craft in and of itself.

And yes, he's excellent in many parts of the game, that's why he's considered one of the best players in the game right now. But his actual tap work is just okay.

Eh, look I'll agree to disagree on parts of this.

Grundy has improved his tap work a lot between the end of last season and this year, and would be among the better rucks in the game in that area right now IMO.

Eh, look I'll agree to disagree on parts of this.

Grundy has improved his tap work a lot between the end of last season and this year, and would be among the better rucks in the game in that area right now IMO.
I'm amenable to that.

Back