Peter Wright vs Brodie Grundy

Who would you take

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They have better experienced rucks ahead of them and are learning their craft where Grundy should be.

Good on them.

Meanwhile, experienced quality rucks aren't just falling out of the sky, so we work with what we have, and decide to play our young ruckmen in Grundy and Witts, and understand the fact that they're years away from their prime as footballers, and accept that there'll be some growing pains along the way.

Somehow we'd be better off with an even younger, even less experienced ruckman in Peter Wright though, by BigFooty logic o_O

My issue isn't with his endurance, it's with his attitude. He channels any aggression he has into moronic disputes with opposition players, and he doesn't work hard enough from the first bounce.

I have no doubt that he'll be better, as all players progress with time in the system, but as it stands, it's laziness and poor application that are preventing him from having a greater influence. Yeah, he is only young, but if he doesn't change his attitude, the same problems will plague him in 5-6 years.

Yes, He does have some work on to do with his Mental part of his game but he is 20. Still a Kid.

Well he came back in way lot better shape this Pre-Season, Then he did last pre-season. Which is a Very Good Sign.

I could call Peter Wright Soft. As he does not do very well on 1v1. Reminds me in that bit of Josh Fraser

The better comparison for Wright is surely Witts? Both big men who can take a grab and move pretty well and should develop as forwards as well as rucks.

Grundy is a competitive young ruck who's played before his time. He's on track to become someone like Todd Goldstein, maybe minus a bit of marking ability, but with a bit more pace around the ground and to win clearances himself.

Grundy fell because he's a ruck and the thinking is you can generally trade a top 20 pick when and if you need one. So why develop one with all the risks that entails. Grundy was worth the early pick.

Wright should play 2 positions to at least a solid level which gives him the edge. Not many guys have been drafted as 2 position ruck/forward types before, he's a bit of a test case, but I think he'll be very handy. Having a guy who's above average forward and in the ruck allows freedom to cover injuries and make tactical decisions in games. He's big, fit and skilled, he should make it as a ruck if he has the physicality, whether he's a gun forward, a moderate forward or barely a forward at all will determine his long term worth I suppose.

Wright - I have seen little or no big man attributes - he's a big man with small player attributes. I wouldn't select Wright in the top 20.

I have sources inside Collingwood and that is crap, Grundy and Bucks have a great relationship.

030412-Caroline-Wilson.jpg

Thanks for posting.

Great he can beat a bloke with a debilitating ankle injury!

Too easy:
McIntosh
Leuenberger
Stanley
Kreuzer
Z.Smith
Jamar
Hale
Ryder
Vickery
K.Tippett
Natanui
And that's just the blokes still on senior lists.

The irony of that last sentence :D
Bellchambers was also playing forward most of that game, with Grundy basically dominating a state league debutant. He kicked 2 goals; could have had 5/6

Wright - I have seen little or no big man attributes - he's a big man with small player attributes. I wouldn't select Wright in the top 20.

I think his Skills are very Simmlar to Josh Fraser when he was Drafted

One is a better forward the other is a better ruck. They are both going to be good players in my opinion.
Ive seen a few people mention wrights stats from his best games this year so ill do grundys from his draft year. 33 disposals 10 marks 5 goals and 49 hitouts for sturt over glenelg.
He also hadn't played 50 games in his life before being drafted so things like decison making and certain skills will still take time to develop.
Rucks take a long time to develop usually so I'm happy with how he is doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One is a better forward the other is a better ruck. They are both going to be good players in my opinion.
Ive seen a few people mention wrights stats from his best games this year so ill do grundys from his draft year. 33 disposals 10 marks 5 goals and 49 hitouts for sturt over glenelg.
He also hadn't played 50 games in his life before being drafted so things like decison making and certain skills will still take time to develop.
Rucks take a long time to develop usually so I'm happy with how he is doing.

And one has also never played against AFL opposition. Frankly, the comparison is an ordinary one at best but the people putting lines through Grundy after two seasons (where frankly he's done nothing wrong as a young ruckman) is a little ridiculous. Like you, I'm happy with Grundy but also think Wright will develop into a pretty handy player.

Grundy is the better ruckman.
Wright is the better forward.

Would take Wright in this year's draft

Let me see a player who has shown plenty at AFL in patches and struggled as at times vs a player who almost everyone who has responded, has never seen live and only seen highlights of.........

Why bother......
One plays for Collingwood, so he suddenly becomes crap

Grundy isn't very good so Wright.

I've never seen a ruckman give away as many free kicks as Grundy before.
I don't know if he's just dopey, stupid or undisciplined but either way I'm glad he's not our ruckman because I'd rip out his hair.

Edit: By the way I chose Peter Wright in the poll and I've never seen him play before....He won by default.

I've never seen a ruckman give away as many free kicks as Grundy before.
I don't know if he's just dopey, stupid or undisciplined but either way I'm glad he's not our ruckman because I'd rip out his hair.

Edit: By the way I chose Peter Wright in the poll and I've never seen him play before....He won by default.

Wow. What a bad comment. Come on you can do better than that.

He's no good. He's easily sucked in by sledging/wrestling and gives away free kicks, he lumbers around the ground with no apparent purpose for the most part, and he provides almost nothing aside from his physical presence and the occasional mark and goal. I don't buy the development line, either. He doesn't have the right attitude.

I'd take Witts before Grundy. Witts shows courage, works to create opportunities for his teammates, bothers to influence the contest, and to cap it off, he doesn't get drawn into petty squabbles with the opposition.

You clearly don't watch Grundy play. The highlighted is the only thing you got right.

Back