Peter Wright vs Brodie Grundy

Who would you take

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You clearly don't watch Grundy play. The highlighted is the only thing you got right.
I've watched almost every one of Grundy's matches at AFL level, and I've seen plenty of him at VFL/U18 level too.

You clearly don't understand that people will form their own valid opinions, and that it's okay if they conflict with your own.

I've outlined why I don't rate Grundy, as requested. TradeDraft and PieMan! were good enough to offer reasonable and valid responses, why can't the rest of you do the same?

Wright is a forward, Grundy is a ruck.
I bet you can find a lot more forwards who did better than Wright before they got drafted than rucks who did better than Grundy. They both should be good players I think, I'd pick Grundy who had a better U18 season and because promising young rucks are harder to find than promise forwards at that age.

I've watched almost every one of Grundy's matches at AFL level, and I've seen plenty of him at VFL/U18 level too.

You clearly don't understand that people will form their own valid opinions, and that it's okay if they conflict with your own.

I've outlined why I don't rate Grundy, as requested. TradeDraft and PieMan! were good enough to offer reasonable and valid responses, why can't the rest of you do the same?

We have all seen Grundy go over the top with his physicality. We have also seen the umpires target him since then on stuff that most players would get away with and we understand why this is the case. Most pies supporters know that he can be undisciplined but we see it as a fairly easy fix. We also know that he has buckets of talent and no tank. Maybe he can turn it around, maybe he won't. But most rucks don't hit good form until their mid twenties. Anyone saying he is an absolute future gun has no idea (he could be though). Also anyone who is riding him off at this stage is a troll, as no idea or is simply believing the negative hype generatated by BF (although this could be the case as well). The bottom line is he is that dirty word potential.
As to this poll. It's pretty lame. 99% of posters including myself have no idea because Grundy could be anything and Wright has yet to play an AFL game.

He's no good. He's easily sucked in by sledging/wrestling and gives away free kicks, he lumbers around the ground with no apparent purpose for the most part, and he provides almost nothing aside from his physical presence and the occasional mark and goal. I don't buy the development line, either. He doesn't have the right attitude.

I'd take Witts before Grundy. Witts shows courage, works to create opportunities for his teammates, bothers to influence the contest, and to cap it off, he doesn't get drawn into petty squabbles with the opposition.
I have no idea how you came up with this. I'm guessing because he gets into a lot of fights on the field or some s**t like that.

Grundy does has the right attitude - he is committed to getting better each week, does extra sessions in the gym after training, and works on his flaws the best he can. Like you said, he gives away free kicks and gets sucked into fights, but in his last 7 games of the season he only gave away 3 free kicks. That's one area of his game he has improved in.

Witts shows courage, works to create opportunities for his teammates, bothers to influence the contest
What and Grundy doesn't? One of the main features of Grundy's game is his fierce tackling and second and third efforts at ground level. You (and others) need to keep in mind that Grundy is a 20 year old ruckman who's had 1 pre-season compared to Witts' 4, of course his ability to 'create opportunities for his team-mates' is lacking. And I'm not sure how you came up with that 'courage' thing either - if you can give me an example that'd be great.

To the people who say 'I've never seen Wright play but he wins by default' well then you must have real high standards. Not sure what you expect out of a second year ruckman. Grundy so far has broke-even or beaten David Hale, Sam Jacobs, Tom Bellchambers and Mike Pyke. Only few ruckman at such a very young age have produced better performances than Grundy. If Wright has a better first 2 years than Grundy i'd be very surprised.

As for the poll, it's s**t - One's a forward and one's a ruckman. Agree with eth-dog;

Grundy forward - 6/10 Grundy Ruck - 9/10
Wright forward - 9/10 Wright Ruck - 6/10

I have no idea how you came up with this. I'm guessing because he gets into a lot of fights on the field or some s**t like that.

Grundy does has the right attitude - he is committed to getting better each week, does extra sessions in the gym after training, and works on his flaws the best he can. Like you said, he gives away free kicks and gets sucked into fights, but in his last 7 games of the season he only gave away 3 free kicks. That's one area of his game he has improved in.
You're half right - yes, it's because he gets into fights (and it doesn't end when he lets go of the fistful of jumper, he lets them get into his head), and it's because he's lazy - on the field. There's a very occasional tackle or second effort, but it's immediately following a ruck contest or a mark being spilled up forward. There's no work ethic around the ground, and that's what hurts the team.

If he's putting in the hard yards off the field, good on him. I'll be pleased if he emerges as an elite ruckman, but I just don't see it.
What and Grundy doesn't? One of the main features of Grundy's game is his fierce tackling and second and third efforts at ground level. You (and others) need to keep in mind that Grundy is a 20 year old ruckman who's had 1 pre-season compared to Witts' 4, of course his ability to 'create opportunities for his team-mates' is lacking. And I'm not sure how you came up with that 'courage' thing either - if you can give me an example that'd be great.
It's not a matter of pre-seasons, or age, or physical fitness. Witts simply works harder to present, to defend and to assist his teammates (it doesn't always come off, and he doesn't always get there, but the effort is there). Grundy does not - as I mentioned earlier, his work ethic beyond the guaranteed ruck/forward contests is minimal.

As for the 'courage' line, that's not to say Grundy's soft. I've seen Witts throw himself into packs and put his head over the ball time and time again. I can't say the same for Grundy.

This is all my opinion, having attended 17 or 18 of Grundy's 22 games. If you disagree with it, suit yourself. There's no anti-Collingwood sentiment on my end, as I've outlined in previous posts; this is just my outlook on a player I've seen plenty of.

You're half right - yes, it's because he gets into fights (and it doesn't end when he lets go of the fistful of jumper, he lets them get into his head), and it's because he's lazy - on the field. There's a very occasional tackle or second effort, but it's immediately following a ruck contest or a mark being spilled up forward. There's no work ethic around the ground, and that's what hurts the team.

If he's putting in the hard yards off the field, good on him. I'll be pleased if he emerges as an elite ruckman, but I just don't see it.

It's not a matter of pre-seasons, or age, or physical fitness. Witts simply works harder to present, to defend and to assist his teammates (it doesn't always come off, and he doesn't always get there, but the effort is there). Grundy does not - as I mentioned earlier, his work ethic beyond the guaranteed ruck/forward contests is minimal.
I'm don't think you are in a position to make that judgement. We all know that Witts works harder. However you are making a judgement on Grundy saying that he doesn't work hard enough because he he lazy when it could be that he simply is spent after a few contests and can't go again. The fact that he came dead last in our 3km time trial last year suggests that this might be a possibility. He solo rucked against Geelong this year and dominated the first half but was destroyed in the second half. What does that suggest?

Last edited:
Hahaha what a laugh of a thread!
Consists of other clubs bagging Grundy and Collingwood supporters sticking up for him!
I honestly think Brodie isn't that good, but he's only 20 so hopefully he'll come around.
Any other supporters who say he's rubbish is talking s**t and any Collingwood supporter who thinks he's a gun is talking s**t!
Time will tell!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wright will be a ruckman imo, can't see him bulking up and being a dominant key forward. He has a great mobile ruckman frame and with his marking skills and work ethic should develop into Dean Cox MK2.

When Grundy was Drafted. People where also calling him Dean Cox MK2

When Grundy was Drafted. People where also calling him Dean Cox MK2
People forget the hype Grundy had in his draft year and they will forget about Wright too in a few years when the topic is Wright (the worst ruck since Grundy) vs the future best ruck to ever play the game.

You watch a lot of Pies games mate....what do you think of Broomhead? Another dud? or is it just Grundy that you want to pot?

You watch a lot of Pies games mate....what do you think of Broomhead? Another dud? or is it just Grundy that you want to pot?
I like Broomhead, he's shown some good signs. I'm not potting Grundy for the sake of it - an opportunity came up to offer my thoughts on him, and I did.

Kennedy's going to be a ripper, though. I was spewing that he didn't make it to our pick at 21, although I'm very happy with Hrovat.

I like Broomhead, he's shown some good signs. I'm not potting Grundy for the sake of it - an opportunity came up to offer my thoughts on him, and I did.

Kennedy's going to be a ripper, though. I was spewing that he didn't make it to our pick at 21, although I'm very happy with Hrovat.

Hmmm....that's interesting so you reckon a young midfielder that's played a handful of games as a sub is gonna be a gun but a young ruck man that was thrown to the wolves in his first season and will take 3-4 years to be strong enough to really compete with mature rucks....he's a dud? And 2meter Peter is gonna be better and all he's done is play under 18's??
Hmmm....interesting. I think I'll reserve "judgement" until Grundy's been given a proper go. I agree that last year Witts got ahead of Grundy but he's had 5 years in our system compared to Grundy's 2. I think you might find Grundy develops into a pretty handy mobile ruck man (it took Paddy Ryder 6-7 seasons to do that) and alongside Witts they'll form a pretty handy duo.

If Grundy never had the start he did we would all be saying he is tracking nicely for a ruckman.

Problem was he had such a impact his first few senior games he come down with second year blues.

Grundy will have to devolve his game as a forward from now on as witts is our number one ruckman so his development will take longer. We will have to be patent with Grundy.

If Grundy never had the start he did we would all be saying he is tracking nicely for a ruckman.

Problem was he had such a impact his first few senior games he come down with second year blues.

Grundy will have to devolve his game as a forward from now on as witts is our number one ruckman so his development will take longer. We will have to be patent with Grundy.

Do you remember Monkey and Charlie Manson. People said the same stuff about them early on. Monkey was too slow...Charlie was supposedly too short and unco .....well they certainly towelled up old Simon Madden and The big Fish back in 1990.
Rucks take time to develop. But its rare that two come through together like these two. I'm expecting big things.

Grundy forward - 6/10 Grundy Ruck - 9/10
Wright forward - 9/10 Wright Ruck - 6/10

I personally dont see how Wright is a 9
the last few years there have been a lot of better forwards than him.
Boyd Patton Hogan Cameron Daniher Maccartin are all better and I could put a rating between them. Everyone is hyping him up to be something he can't be instantly like they did with Grundy.

Well people just came out here and called Grundy a Hack with nothing behind it:rolleyes:

He was severely overrated coming into 2014, with a lot of Pies fans suggesting he'd be a lock for the rising star etc. And he disappointed - simple.

People aren't bagging him just because he is a collingwood player, as you are suggesting

He was severely overrated coming into 2014, with a lot of Pies fans suggesting he'd be a lock for the rising star etc. And he disappointed - simple.

People aren't bagging him just because he is a collingwood player, as you are suggesting

Well his 1st games in the AFL in his 1st Year he played above themselves and Pies Fans where not the only one’s. The Experts in the Media where Raving about him too.

Still what he done in his 1st 2 seasons as Young Ruckman is very Promsing

Back