Peter Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Very happy with this pick... Although can someone explain the logic behind it?

We already have: Day, Lynch, Dixon, Smith, Nicolls and Gorringe. Now Wright.

Are we expecting some of them to not make it, or are they likely to move on after their contract runs out?
Gorringe, Dixon, Thompson, Smith and Schade are all off contract in 2015. Could be a factor behind the decision.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Have well and truly warmed to big Pete. Will provide valuable depth and put a rocket up any underperformers arse. Love his personality too. Seems very humble.

thumbsuprocket.jpg

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Well going by his beep test.. I'd think was possible..
But looking at how big the kid is already.. You'd expect would be hard to cover the ground to easy.. Wander how the Suns think his size and shape is best.. Slim him down maybe.. Gunston style or build him up Mumford mould..
It's a hard one.
A hard one indeed.

Wright is taller than Nicholls but 2 cm shorter than Smith. It's evident that he can kick like a FF, but his height means a rucking position (at least occasionally) is obviously on the cards too. He's got the athleticism and the physique to take the Paddy Ryder role, but there's so many other options open for the Suns to take that it's hard to say.

Not sure if it has been done at other clubs, but would Wright, Dixon, Day, and Thompson sharing the ruck load be an option?

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'd be inclined to play him as a forward in his first few years and only ruck him if absolutely necessary, short bursts at most. I've seen too many young ruckman thrown to the wolves too early and have their careers ruined as a result - see Josh Fraser. I'd rather 2MP have a Simon Madden / Paul Salmon type career than a Josh Fraser type career. Let his body develop before getting it bashed around in the ruck.

From the litte I know- it seems he is better as a forward than as a ruck? I would just rotate him through the ruck very occasionally or as a last resort.

A strong lead-up forward would complement the delivery from the midfeld nicely.

Nabbing a potential #1 pick key forward is a great get! Was a bit iffy on this pick at first but couldn't be happier now.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
What are the chances of seeing 2MP playing in a NAB Cup game? Regardless, I'm excited to see him rip it up in the NEAFL!

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
What are the chances of seeing 2MP playing in a NAB Cup game? Regardless, I'm excited to see him rip it up in the NEAFL!
They didn't elevate Tommy Lynch until he started kicking bags of 7 or 8 week after week. I expect 2MP will have to follow the same sort of criteria. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back