Phantom Draft Peter's Top 40 Phantom 2018 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have done a couple of phantom drafts in the past & thought I would have a crack again this year. I watch a lot of AFL & I have based my selections on each teams needs & where I believe they will likely end up.
I am happy to receive any feedback, good or bad & hope you enjoy it.

Here goes

1. CARLTON – Sam Walsh (GEELONG FALCONS)
The player that Carlton have had their eye on for a long time. They will have considered Lukosius here but as their primary need is quality midfielders they won’t pass on Walsh who should be a long term player for them.

2. GOLD COAST – Jack Lukosius (WOODVILLE-WEST TORRENS)
Quite simply best available. I have no doubt that if Gold Coast had pick 1 they would still pick Lukosius over Walsh. After losing Lynch & May in the off season they will be desperate for a quality Key Position Player & Lukosius could well be very special. Too good to pass on here.

3. GOLD COAST – Izak Rankine (WEST ADELAIDE)
This is where it gets interesting. The word is that Rankine is a huge flight risk but I still think that if they want the best talent then Rankine is the man. He is a school mate of Lukosius & that may help keep him at the Suns long term, but regardless he is an excitement machine & potential match winner. He can drift in and out of games but his upside is enormous & he could end up the best player in this draft.

4. ST KILDA – Max King (SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS)
Has long been linked to the Saints & I think that is where he will end up. Rated slightly higher than his twin brother Ben, I think the Saints will gladly take Max here. With doubts about the longevity of McCartin & the quality of their other key forwards, King should be a safe bet to fix this area long term. They would love to nab a quality midfielder as well but with Hannebery coming in during the off season they will take the big bloke over Bailey Smith in my opinion.

5. PORT ADELAIDE – Ben King (SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS)
If Rankine was still available they would snap him up in an instant, Rozee & Smith will also be considered strongly but I really think that a quality KPP is what Port desperately need. Particularly with Dixon not getting any younger, Westhoff possibly in his last year & Marshall still a work in progress.
He can play at both ends & Port will find it hard to resist taking him here.

6. GOLD COAST – Bailey Smith (SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS)
The best available midfielder in the draft if not the best full stop. Smith will add considerable class to an underwhelming midfield. This draft is crucial to the clubs success in the future & they must get these picks right which is why they will take the best available talent on offer.

7. WESTERN BULLDOGS – Connor Rozee (NORTH ADELAIDE)
Would love Smith to still be here but Rozee is next best available & just what the dogs need to boost their skill level. He has really risen in the rankings in the last couple of months & his performances in the SANFL finals series didn’t go unnoticed. Will also consider Jye Caldwell here as well.

8. ADELAIDE – Jye Caldwell (BENDIGO PIONEERS)
Even though Jackson Hately is still here at this point, I believe that Caldwell is the better prospect & the Crows will take the best available. He is a mature body & will add grunt to a Crows midfield that relies too heavily on Rory Sloane at the stoppages & he is ready to play early on.

9. SYDNEY – Nick Blakey (SYDNEY SWANS ACADEMY)
I expect the Giants to bid on Blakey here & the Swans will quickly match the bid. An exciting talent, Blakey will add to the home grown production line of talent in recent years led by Heeney & Mills

10. GREATER WESTERN SYDNEYJordan Clark (CLAREMONT)
I really think this kid could be a star. The Giants have a history of drafting WA boys & they won’t be disappointed to pick up Clark here. Could be a long term replacement for Heath Shaw & hopefully will stay around long enough to help the club have success in the future.

11. PORT ADELAIDE – Jackson Hately (CENTRAL DISTRICT)
I can see Port going local here & taking this quality midfielder. Hately is a mature body who has had an excellent season playing seniors in the SANFL & will be ready to go round 1 if necessary. He is a tall midfielder with decent skills & an excellent decision maker who will ultimately make a difference to an ageing midfield.

12. GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY – Xavier Duursma (GIPPSLAND POWER)
After losing both Shiel & Scully during the trade period, Duursma will be just what the doctor ordered. His excellent kicking & pace will be most welcome to the Giants midfield.

13. GEELONG – Sam Sturt (DANDENONG STINGRAYS)
A bit of a left field selection but Geelong have shown in the past that they are prepared to take risks & they have had some success in the past. One thing Sturt has is upside, he has shown tremendous talent in his short time playing AFL & the indications are that he could develop into a top liner. He is a risk worth taking in my opinion.

14. ADELAIDE – Riley Collier-Dawkins (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)
Another midfield selection for the Crows here but this fellow offers something different. At 193cm he is tall for a midfielder & with the majority of the Crows midfielders with the exception of Gibbs, being Collingwood 6 footers, his height, kicking & ability to find his own ball will be a great temptation for the Crows.

15. NORTH MELBOURNE – Tarryn Thomas (NORTH LAUNCESTON)
I expect the Dockers will put in a bid for Thomas here to keep the Kangaroos honest which North will match.
An exciting prospect, it will be interesting to see how he adapts to life as an AFL footballer. If he can then North will have a bargain at this pick for sure.

16. FREMANTLE – Ian Hill (PERTH)
I am not convinced that Hill is worth taking this early but I doubt the Dockers will pass on him here because it is unlikely that he will still be around come their second pick.
He has pace & skill in abundance, something the Dockers need, however the knock on him is his lack of size & consistency. He could just as easily be a bust or a star. Time will tell. Liam Stocker is a player they will also consider here as he could be a long term Lachie Neale type replacement.

17. COLLINGWOOD – Isaac Quaynor (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)
Collingwood will match the bid from Port here & Quaynor will land at the Pies. Has shown plenty this season as a rebounding defender & will fit nicely into the defensive structure that Collingwood have developed in the last 12 months.

18. PORT ADELAIDE – Curtis Taylor (CALDER CANNONS)
With the loss of Wingard & a lack of quality small/medium forwards, Taylor could be the perfect fit for Port. Can be inconsistent but he has real X factor & is capable of kicking bags of goals. Liam Stocker & Zak Butters are also in the mix here.

19. ADELAIDE – Chayce Jones (LAUNCESTON)
The Crows would love Jones to be available here & if he is they will likely take him. Has terrific pace, something the crows need & is capable of kicking goals. He will complement their other 2 selections nicely.

20. WESTERN BULLDOGS – Rhylee West (CALDER CANNONS)
I expect that Richmond will put in a bid here & the Dogs will quickly match. Similar in style to his dad, at 180cm he is a little taller but his ball winning & handball skills will be most welcome to the dogs midfield. Will likely play round 1.

21. RICHMOND – Liam Stocker (SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS)
Will add quality to an already strong Tigers midfield & will complement the likes of Cotchin, Martin & Edwards perfectly. His playing style will suit Hardwick as he is a contested bull & his kicking is excellent. Could go earlier than this but Richmond would love him to be here.

22. BRISBANE – Zac Butters (WESTERN JETS)
Quality small midfielder who can also go forward & kick goals. Reminds me a little of Luke Power & if he can replicate what Power achieved as a player, the Lions will be thrilled. Will add pace to an already strong midfield.

23. GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY – Xavier O’Halloran (WESTERN JETS)
Another midfield pick for the Giants. He offers leadership, speed & consistency, all traits the Giants could use. Players like Foley, Valente & McHenry will also be considered here but O’Halloran appeals more to me.

24. WEST COAST – Jez McClennan (CENTRAL DISTRICT)
Has had an excellent season playing SANFL, has a strong mature frame & is an excellent kick & decision maker. Could be a long term Shannon Hurn replacement across half back & is capable of playing seniors early in 2019.

25. ADELAIDE – Bailey Williams (DANDENONG STINGRAYS)
With Sam Jacobs not getting any younger & doubts about Reilly O’Brien having what it takes to make it as a senior player, the Crows will likely take a punt on Williams here. At 198cm he can ruck & also play as a deep forward. His kicking for goal needs some work but he is an excellent contested mark & possesses a powerful leap. As the Crows with their earlier picks have gone with midfielders, Williams helps fix an obvious area of weakness within the list.

26. WEST COAST – Luke Foley (SUBIACO)
Quality local midfielder who is capable physically of playing straight away. Possesses a strong physical presence & will add grunt to the Eagles midfield. The Eagles will be happy if he is available at this pick.

27. MELBOURNE - Ned McHenry (GEELONG FALCONS)
Nuggety & committed midfielder who you can rely on giving 100% in every game. Has leadership qualities & will fit in nicely to a Melbourne midfield that contains a mixture of grunt & class. Would be a terrific asset to any club that drafts him.

28. GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY – Kieren Briggs (GIANTS ACADEMY)
Gold Coast will likely put in a bid for Briggs here & given the deficiency the Giants have in the big man department, they will almost certainly match.
Had a great 2018 National championships which was rewarded with All Australian selection & he will be ready to take over first ruck duties from Simpson & Mumford within the next 12-18 months.

29. BRISBANE – Connor McFadyen (LIONS ACADEMY)
I expect the Suns to place a bid here to annoy big brother which the Lions will match. McFadyen has long been in the Lions sights & he offers to them a player with terrific qualities. He is strong, athletic & can take a good mark & will add to an impressive array of midfield talent.

30. GOLD COAST – Luke Valente (NORWOOD)
A bit of a slider but the Suns will be happy if Valente lands here. Solid & consistent if unspectacular, Valente offers leadership & character in spades, something the Suns need & will add to the SA contingent already taken by the Suns in this draft.

31. GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY – Sydney Stack (PERTH)
Exciting talent who I am sure the Dockers would love to have got their hands on with their second pick. Had an excellent under 18’s carnival & did well playing seniors in the WAFL. Will add some genuine x factor to the Giants forward line.

32. WEST COAST – Jarrod Cameron (SWAN DISTRICTS)
The Swans to make a bid here which the Eagles will surely match. The Eagles have monitored Cameron’s progress for the past couple of years & like what they see. If he can end up anywhere near as good as his brother Charlie, & the signs are encouraging, then they will have a seriously good player on their books.

33. SYDNEY – Ely Smith (MURRAY BUSHRANGERS)
With Hannebery off to the Saints & some of the Swans midfield stars beginning to look battle scarred, Smith will be a really solid fit for the Swans here. Wins the ball in close & is excellent by hand, should be suited by the SCG with his style of play.

34. COLLINGWOOD – Will Kelly (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)
The Bulldogs to bid on Kelly here & the Pies will match. Has had an excellent season & will be groomed to assume a key defensive post in the years to come. With Lynden Dunn & Ben Reid coming towards the end & only really Darcy Moore left as a genuine tall defender, Kelly’s time in the seniors may not be too far away.

35. WESTERN BULLDOGS – Boyd Woodcock (NORTH ADELAIDE)
Taller version of Caleb Daniel. Woodcock had an outstanding finals series with North & was pivotal in them winning the premiership. Dangerous around goals & excellent by foot, if he was 10cm taller we would be talking about him as a top 6 contender.

36. MELBOURNE – Tom McKenzie (NORTHERN KNIGHTS)
Extremely pacy & skilful midfielder to add to the mix at the Demons. Pace is an area that Melbourne could do with an injection of & McKenzie certainly has that as evidenced by his 20m sprint win at the combine.

37. GOLD COAST – Fraser Turner (CLARENCE)
The third Tasmanian to be drafted and is well worth taking here. Terrific aerobically & has excellent skills, he will complement the other Suns picks in this draft very well.

38. BRISBANE – Tom Berry (GWV REBELS)
The younger brother of Jarrod had his season cut short by injury, but prior to that was a standout in the TAC Cup. Doesn’t have quite the boom on him that his brother did at the same age but could well develop into an A grader given time. Gets plenty of the ball but needs to work on his disposal.

39. FREMANTLE – Luke English (PERTH)
Local midfielder that has had a terrific season & would have come under notice by the Dockers. He is an in and under type that is good with his hands & will help fill the void left by Lachie Neale.

40. WESTERN BULLDOGS – Will Hamill (DANDENONG STINGRAYS)
Hamill could well be a steal here. Could be groomed as another Bob Murphy type. He is a smooth mover who uses the ball really well & makes good decisions. He also looks like he is on the same diet as Murphy as he is very skinny & will take time to put on some size.

Last edited:

North would be having a good draft if Tarryn Thomas gets bid at 15 and no early bid on Bailey Scott.

Would be wrapped if the Tigers snared Stocker with our first round pick. Who do you have us getting with our second rounder?

North would be having a good draft if Tarryn Thomas gets bid at 15 and no early bid on Bailey Scott.

Would be wrapped if the Tigers snared Stocker with our first round pick. Who do you have us getting with our second rounder?

Having lost a bit of midfield depth in the off season with Conca, Ellis, Townsend & Miles going, I reckon Tom Sparrow or even Zac Foot if they are available would be likely types.
Richmond have most bases covered, they may also look at taking a tall defender that they can develop later in the draft.

As for Bailey Scott, I was tempted to throw a bid in the top 40 for him but decided not to. I rate him somewhere between 35-45.

So Gold Coast pass on Rozee, who is good mates with Luko, not taking the 3 SA boys together in favour of Bailey Smith, who has suggested he doesnt want to move interstate :think:

Youve also done bid matching incorrectly

You might be right & Rozee may go ahead of Smith, I just think Smith is a better player & thats why I had him at 6.

I don't fully understand the points & matching process so I wasn't sure which picks clubs gave up when they matched bids from other clubs.

I think St Kilda will trade pick 4 with Josh Battle, Josh Bruce, Paddy McCartin, Tim Membrey and
Rowan Marshall getting upgraded plus they are trialling Hayden McLean 197 cm at the moment
I don't see the need for Max King. St Kilda need class at the moment capital C class.

Could definitely see the eagles draft ending up like this altho i would prefer ely smith or valente over foley

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

With your comment about Hill/Stocker for Fremantle, it seems like that part of the draft has quite a few players of a similar rating. Do you agree? There seems to be a consensus about the top 8 in terms of being of a high standard. How do you see the the draft stepping down in terms of quality after that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow.

Bids really **** some teams over. Essendons 34 becomes something outside the top 40 now?

Ouch.

The bids actually make no difference to anyone. Because those players weren't avaliable to you anyways. So your pick 34 to 40 would effectively still be the same player.

With your comment about Hill/Stocker for Fremantle, it seems like that part of the draft has quite a few players of a similar rating. Do you agree? There seems to be a consensus about the top 8 in terms of being of a high standard. How do you see the the draft stepping down in terms of quality after that?

Yes, I think there are 8 or 9 standouts here & then the next 15-20 you could throw a blanket over.
This is why I think a clubs needs will determine where players in this 10-30 range end up. I have Sam Sturt for example going to Geelong at 13 but he could easily slide well into the 20's.

I have done a couple of phantom drafts in the past & thought I would have a crack again this year. I watch a lot of AFL & I have based my selections on each teams needs & where I believe they will likely end up.
I am happy to receive any feedback, good or bad & hope you enjoy it.

Here goes

1. CARLTON – Sam Walsh (GEELONG FALCONS)
The player that Carlton have had their eye on for a long time. They will have considered Lukosius here but as their primary need is quality midfielders they won’t pass on Walsh who should be a long term player for them.

2. GOLD COAST – Jack Lukosius (WOODVILLE-WEST TORRENS)
Quite simply best available. I have no doubt that if Gold Coast had pick 1 they would still pick Lukosius over Walsh. After losing Lynch & May in the off season they will be desperate for a quality Key Position Player & Lukosius could well be very special. Too good to pass on here.

3. GOLD COAST – Izak Rankine (WEST ADELAIDE)
This is where it gets interesting. The word is that Rankine is a huge flight risk but I still think that if they want the best talent then Rankine is the man. He is a school mate of Lukosius & that may help keep him at the Suns long term, but regardless he is an excitement machine & potential match winner. He can drift in and out of games but his upside is enormous & he could end up the best player in this draft.

4. ST KILDA – Max King (SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS)
Has long been linked to the Saints & I think that is where he will end up. Rated slightly higher than his twin brother Ben, I think the Saints will gladly take Max here. With doubts about the longevity of McCartin & the quality of their other key forwards, King should be a safe bet to fix this area long term. They would love to nab a quality midfielder as well but with Hannebery coming in during the off season they will take the big bloke over Bailey Smith in my opinion.

5. PORT ADELAIDE – Ben King (SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS)
If Rankine was still available they would snap him up in an instant, Rozee & Smith will also be considered strongly but I really think that a quality KPP is what Port desperately need. Particularly with Dixon not getting any younger, Westhoff possibly in his last year & Marshall still a work in progress.
He can play at both ends & Port will find it hard to resist taking him here.

6. GOLD COAST – Bailey Smith (SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS)
The best available midfielder in the draft if not the best full stop. Smith will add considerable class to an underwhelming midfield. This draft is crucial to the clubs success in the future & they must get these picks right which is why they will take the best available talent on offer.

7. WESTERN BULLDOGS – Connor Rozee (NORTH ADELAIDE)
Would love Smith to still be here but Rozee is next best available & just what the dogs need to boost their skill level. He has really risen in the rankings in the last couple of months & his performances in the SANFL finals series didn’t go unnoticed. Will also consider Jye Caldwell here as well.

8. ADELAIDE – Jye Caldwell (BENDIGO PIONEERS)
Even though Jackson Hately is still here at this point, I believe that Caldwell is the better prospect & the Crows will take the best available. He is a mature body & will add grunt to a Crows midfield that relies too heavily on Rory Sloane at the stoppages & he is ready to play early on.

9. SYDNEY – Nick Blakey (SYDNEY SWANS ACADEMY)
I expect the Giants to bid on Blakey here & the Swans will quickly match the bid. An exciting talent, Blakey will add to the home grown production line of talent in recent years led by Heeney & Mills

10. GREATER WESTERN SYDNEYJordan Clark (CLAREMONT)
I really think this kid could be a star. The Giants have a history of drafting WA boys & they won’t be disappointed to pick up Clark here. Could be a long term replacement for Heath Shaw & hopefully will stay around long enough to help the club have success in the future.

11. PORT ADELAIDE – Jackson Hately (CENTRAL DISTRICT)
I can see Port going local here & taking this quality midfielder. Hately is a mature body who has had an excellent season playing seniors in the SANFL & will be ready to go round 1 if necessary. He is a tall midfielder with decent skills & an excellent decision maker who will ultimately make a difference to an ageing midfield.

12. GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY – Xavier Duursma (GIPPSLAND POWER)
After losing both Shiel & Scully during the trade period, Duursma will be just what the doctor ordered. His excellent kicking & pace will be most welcome to the Giants midfield.

13. GEELONG – Sam Sturt (DANDENONG STINGRAYS)
A bit of a left field selection but Geelong have shown in the past that they are prepared to take risks & they have had some success in the past. One thing Sturt has is upside, he has shown tremendous talent in his short time playing AFL & the indications are that he could develop into a top liner. He is a risk worth taking in my opinion.

14. ADELAIDE – Riley Collier-Dawkins (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)
Another midfield selection for the Crows here but this fellow offers something different. At 193cm he is tall for a midfielder & with the majority of the Crows midfielders with the exception of Gibbs, being Collingwood 6 footers, his height, kicking & ability to find his own ball will be a great temptation for the Crows.

15. NORTH MELBOURNE – Tarryn Thomas (NORTH LAUNCESTON)
I expect the Dockers will put in a bid for Thomas here to keep the Kangaroos honest which North will match.
An exciting prospect, it will be interesting to see how he adapts to life as an AFL footballer. If he can then North will have a bargain at this pick for sure.

16. FREMANTLE – Ian Hill (PERTH)
I am not convinced that Hill is worth taking this early but I doubt the Dockers will pass on him here because it is unlikely that he will still be around come their second pick.
He has pace & skill in abundance, something the Dockers need, however the knock on him is his lack of size & consistency. He could just as easily be a bust or a star. Time will tell. Liam Stocker is a player they will also consider here as he could be a long term Lachie Neale type replacement.

17. COLLINGWOOD – Isaac Quaynor (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)
Collingwood will match the bid from Port here & Quaynor will land at the Pies. Has shown plenty this season as a rebounding defender & will fit nicely into the defensive structure that Collingwood have developed in the last 12 months.

18. PORT ADELAIDE – Curtis Taylor (CALDER CANNONS)
With the loss of Wingard & a lack of quality small/medium forwards, Taylor could be the perfect fit for Port. Can be inconsistent but he has real X factor & is capable of kicking bags of goals. Liam Stocker & Zak Butters are also in the mix here.

19. ADELAIDE – Chayce Jones (LAUNCESTON)
The Crows would love Jones to be available here & if he is they will likely take him. Has terrific pace, something the crows need & is capable of kicking goals. He will complement their other 2 selections nicely.

20. WESTERN BULLDOGS – Rhylee West (CALDER CANNONS)
I expect that Richmond will put in a bid here & the Dogs will quickly match. Similar in style to his dad, at 180cm he is a little taller but his ball winning & handball skills will be most welcome to the dogs midfield. Will likely play round 1.

21. RICHMOND – Liam Stocker (SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS)
Will add quality to an already strong Tigers midfield & will complement the likes of Cotchin, Martin & Edwards perfectly. His playing style will suit Hardwick as he is a contested bull & his kicking is excellent. Could go earlier than this but Richmond would love him to be here.

22. BRISBANE – Zac Butters (WESTERN JETS)
Quality small midfielder who can also go forward & kick goals. Reminds me a little of Luke Power & if he can replicate what Power achieved as a player, the Lions will be thrilled. Will add pace to an already strong midfield.

23. GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY – Xavier O’Halloran (WESTERN JETS)
Another midfield pick for the Giants. He offers leadership, speed & consistency, all traits the Giants could use. Players like Foley, Valente & McHenry will also be considered here but O’Halloran appeals more to me.

24. WEST COAST – Jez McClennan (CENTRAL DISTRICT)
Has had an excellent season playing SANFL, has a strong mature frame & is an excellent kick & decision maker. Could be a long term Shannon Hurn replacement across half back & is capable of playing seniors early in 2019.

25. ADELAIDE – Bailey Williams (DANDENONG STINGRAYS)
With Sam Jacobs not getting any younger & doubts about Reilly O’Brien having what it takes to make it as a senior player, the Crows will likely take a punt on Williams here. At 198cm he can ruck & also play as a deep forward. His kicking for goal needs some work but he is an excellent contested mark & possesses a powerful leap. As the Crows with their earlier picks have gone with midfielders, Williams helps fix an obvious area of weakness within the list.

26. WEST COAST – Luke Foley (SUBIACO)
Quality local midfielder who is capable physically of playing straight away. Possesses a strong physical presence & will add grunt to the Eagles midfield. The Eagles will be happy if he is available at this pick.

27. MELBOURNE - Ned McHenry (GEELONG FALCONS)
Nuggety & committed midfielder who you can rely on giving 100% in every game. Has leadership qualities & will fit in nicely to a Melbourne midfield that contains a mixture of grunt & class. Would be a terrific asset to any club that drafts him.

28. GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY – Kieren Briggs (GIANTS ACADEMY)
Gold Coast will likely put in a bid for Briggs here & given the deficiency the Giants have in the big man department, they will almost certainly match.
Had a great 2018 National championships which was rewarded with All Australian selection & he will be ready to take over first ruck duties from Simpson & Mumford within the next 12-18 months.

29. BRISBANE – Connor McFadyen (LIONS ACADEMY)
I expect the Suns to place a bid here to annoy big brother which the Lions will match. McFadyen has long been in the Lions sights & he offers to them a player with terrific qualities. He is strong, athletic & can take a good mark & will add to an impressive array of midfield talent.

30. GOLD COAST – Luke Valente (NORWOOD)
A bit of a slider but the Suns will be happy if Valente lands here. Solid & consistent if unspectacular, Valente offers leadership & character in spades, something the Suns need & will add to the SA contingent already taken by the Suns in this draft.

31. GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY – Sydney Stack (PERTH)
Exciting talent who I am sure the Dockers would love to have got their hands on with their second pick. Had an excellent under 18’s carnival & did well playing seniors in the WAFL. Will add some genuine x factor to the Giants forward line.

32. WEST COAST – Jarrod Cameron (SWAN DISTRICTS)
The Swans to make a bid here which the Eagles will surely match. The Eagles have monitored Cameron’s progress for the past couple of years & like what they see. If he can end up anywhere near as good as his brother Charlie, & the signs are encouraging, then they will have a seriously good player on their books.

33. SYDNEY – Ely Smith (MURRAY BUSHRANGERS)
With Hannebery off to the Saints & some of the Swans midfield stars beginning to look battle scarred, Smith will be a really solid fit for the Swans here. Wins the ball in close & is excellent by hand, should be suited by the SCG with his style of play.

34. COLLINGWOOD – Will Kelly (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)
The Bulldogs to bid on Kelly here & the Pies will match. Has had an excellent season & will be groomed to assume a key defensive post in the years to come. With Lynden Dunn & Ben Reid coming towards the end & only really Darcy Moore left as a genuine tall defender, Kelly’s time in the seniors may not be too far away.

35. WESTERN BULLDOGS – Boyd Woodcock (NORTH ADELAIDE)
Taller version of Caleb Daniel. Woodcock had an outstanding finals series with North & was pivotal in them winning the premiership. Dangerous around goals & excellent by foot, if he was 10cm taller we would be talking about him as a top 6 contender.

36. MELBOURNE – Tom McKenzie (NORTHERN KNIGHTS)
Extremely pacy & skilful midfielder to add to the mix at the Demons. Pace is an area that Melbourne could do with an injection of & McKenzie certainly has that as evidenced by his 20m sprint win at the combine.

37. GOLD COAST – Fraser Turner (CLARENCE)
The third Tasmanian to be drafted and is well worth taking here. Terrific aerobically & has excellent skills, he will complement the other Suns picks in this draft very well.

38. BRISBANE – Tom Berry (GWV REBELS)
The younger brother of Jarrod had his season cut short by injury, but prior to that was a standout in the TAC Cup. Doesn’t have quite the boom on him that his brother did at the same age but could well develop into an A grader given time. Gets plenty of the ball but needs to work on his disposal.

39. FREMANTLE – Luke English (PERTH)
Local midfielder that has had a terrific season & would have come under notice by the Dockers. He is an in and under type that is good with his hands & will help fill the void left by Lachie Neale.

40. WESTERN BULLDOGS – Will Hamill (DANDENONG STINGRAYS)
Hamill could well be a steal here. Could be groomed as another Bob Murphy type. He is a smooth mover who uses the ball really well & makes good decisions. He also looks like he is on the same diet as Murphy as he is very skinny & will take time to put on some size.
Wow I read a few phantom drafts and everyone has varying opinions.

The bids actually make no difference to anyone. Because those players weren't available to you anyways. So your pick 34 to 40 would effectively still be the same player.
They can impact teams who traded down to multiple picks to match bids as pushing the picks back means they have a lower points value.

The bids actually make no difference to anyone. Because those players weren't avaliable to you anyways. So your pick 34 to 40 would effectively still be the same player.
Perhaps, but it would be great to have the ability to package up late picks to turn them into a highly rated player. I understand how it works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back