Petition- Get West Perth back on TV

Jul 3, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, Pittsburgh Penguins
https://www.change.org/p/wafc-chann...utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Support this petition guys. I doubt it'll do much but it's better to have a go first I guess.

Just thought I'd post this here if nobody saw it earlier. A petition isn't likely to do much but at least if this gathers support the WAFC and Channel 7 will realise how many people oppose this. Feel free to share with your friends, on Facebook, Twittergram whatever. The more support the better.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Just thought I'd post this here if nobody saw it earlier. A petition isn't likely to do much but at least if this gathers support the WAFC and Channel 7 will realise how many people oppose this. Feel free to share with your friends, on Facebook, Twittergram whatever. The more support the better.

Fully support you.

All this has proved is :-

ABC >>>>>>>>>>>>> miles >>>>>>>>>>>> kilometres >>>>>>>>>> Channels 7 + 9 + 10.

Talk about politicians acting like pre school kids, the commercial tv stations are doing worse.

Jul 3, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, Pittsburgh Penguins
Fully support you.

All this has proved is :-

ABC >>>>>>>>>>>>> miles >>>>>>>>>>>> kilometres >>>>>>>>>> Channels 7 + 9 + 10.

Talk about politicians acting like pre school kids, the commercial tv stations are doing worse.
Cheers mate!

Your right, all this fiasco has revealed is how immature and naive some of the administrators really are.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
What the hell. Why?

I'm from SA, what's the story behind it all?

The simple answer is that Channel 9 sponsor the West Perth football club and Channel 7 are the broadcasters of the league. Channel 9 signed up as West perth sponsors some 10 months before the League and Channel 7 did a deal.
Channel 7 then said they won't broadcast any West Perth games if the 9 logo is on the jumper or displayed anywhere at the ground. West Perth have stood firm and said 9 give them 100K per season and they cannot do that to their major sponsor.
Now in simple terms 7 as the broadcaster has every right to not want to promote its opposition but here is where it gets curly. The 7 network never paid for the broadcast rights, in fact the WAFC had to find sponsors and then ask the 9 clubs to foot the bill for the costs of channel 7 to put the game on tv which is around 1 million per year. There is also many rumours and talk that Channel 9 and channel 10 were keen to not only broadcast and promote the WAFL but also pay for the right to do so.
Now with West Perth holding down second spot on the ladder and looking like they could possibly play in a preliminary or Grand Final the WAFC are scared that their finals will not be broadcast on tv. Channel 9 have offered to broadcast any finals 7 will not do but the WAFC have said no to that. Now the other 8 clubs have asked for West perth to be removed from the finals as they need the finals broadcast and they now feel that West Perth have brought the game into disrepute which they have not done.
Instead of the League backing in their biggest club they are trying to play rough with them. They have meeting after meeting and to this point West Perth refuse to take their sponsor off their jumper and rightfully so. The WAFC have obviously got the other clubs to try and gang up on them.
Now if 7 had of paid for the rights to broadcast the league I would have no issue but as the clubs and sponsors are footing the bill in my view 7 have little say here and if they don't like it them piss off and we will get another network to broadcast the league.
Of course there will be more to all this and I am sure the AFL machine is involved with the 7 side of things.

I hope West Perth stand their ground and stand up to this bullying.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
I think this is where a person like Dennis Cometti could broker a compromise.

Dennis would be widely regarded as a statesman of the GAME, having played, coached and commentated. The Cardies is his team, and I'm assuming would be a bit grumpy with what has occurred.

If Dennis could get the Seven WA boss to sit down and chat, I reckon that Dennis could work out a compromise for the betterment of the GAME and its future.

Overall, neither side can claim to be 100% on the right, how hard is it for both to take a step back and both save face ?.

How about if the game is being played at Joondalup, all 9 sponsor signs around the ground are covered, but the logo stays on the jumper. Fair compromise ?.

Anyway 7 have already given 9 lots of exposure, because due to this squabble, we now know who's West Perth's major sponsor.

Does the WAFL want a premiership with an asterix against it ?.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
FFS it's Channel 9.

Like who the **** in Australia hasn't heard of Channel 9?

I have no idea why they even feel the need to get sponsorship for exposure. It's impossible to have lived in Australia and not know of Channel 9.

They're obviously not saying no the sponsorship $$$ though.

But yeah, who hasn't heard of Channel Nine.

They're"still the one" aren't they?

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
2 weeks since a post update. Has this been resolved yet, if not grow a pair Channel 7 and get over it. We are into the semi's and this needs to get resolved within the next 48 hrs if it hasn't been already.

Keep fighting the good fight Falcons, it's what the people want

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Issue looks dead, West Perth are standing their ground and 7 will not broadcast the preliminary or Grand Final. Looks like their will be a legal route taken.

341d4a292370684c6d19b714a15f66dbc2701eb0984371165e41325e9a0905e7.jpg

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Issue looks dead, West Perth are standing their ground and 7 will not broadcast the preliminary or Grand Final. Looks like their will be a legal route taken.

Looks like the Colts grand final might end up being televised.

As I've said before, you don't know what you had, till you lose it. The ABC telecasts were like clockwork, they did their job week after week with bugger all thanks.

Has Dennis Cometti uttered any words on this matter ?, maybe John Duckworth need to crunch some heads at the WAFC ( they have no gonads to crush !!!!! ).

DAT8

Debutant
Jul 30, 2014
West Straya
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals, WACA Boys, Scorchers
West perth are wearing jumpers with the charity "Variety" on it, i am pretty sure the preliminary final against East Perth will be televised

Barney44

All Australian
Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
What a storm in a teacup.
Too right. West Perth complain all year then the week before it matters they take the deal offered to them in February.

Well played to them for getting the most out of this situation for them and their sposnor but it dragged the whole comp through the mud and tarnished it.

Back